Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times

Advertisements

I'm using this phrase metaphorically to refer to people and their basic characteristics. If someone has a certain trait that they have had all their lives, say they have been known to cheat or steal, can they change? Can they successfully change or is the trait too much a part of their inherent nature and basically out of their conscious control? Would you ever trust someone like that, or do you believe in the opposite which is that "a leopard can not change his/her spots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 05:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
It will always be a tendency, but if they're self-aware enough they can at least control it.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 PM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times
People can and do change. More often they do not. I don't count on such changes but stranger things have happened.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Basic characteristics may not change per se, but with the right spirit can evolve to a healthier manifestation.

Someone who has the cunning to cheat or steal might be able to hack into and ruin terrorist organizations or uncover corporate fraud. Las Vegas hires former gambling cheats. The FedGov and anti-virus software companies hire former computer hackers. Chemical dependency programs hire ex-addicts.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I think that anyone can but I think that most people will not choose to.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times
Concerning someone that has shown questionable behavior throughout their adult life, and continues to do so in their later years, here's a question. Is it something inherent in the person (like an anomaly that they were born with), or is it a type of misguided behavior that they picked up along the way and have continued using as a means for coping?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:05 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Their thinking caused them to be that way and only their thinking can change them. This is the Alpha and Omega. By proper thinking, thief can go honest, poor can become wealthy, even disease can be cured.
Answer then is - YES. Condition is - does the person WANTS to?
I wanted to quit smoking and I did. I wanted to quit drinking and I did. Bad traits are not much different from addictions. People stick to them as they find "guilty pleasure" in them.
Unfortunately, it is easier to be dishonest, crooked and twisted, than honest, person of integrity, and decency. As in - the world is that way. It is tough to go against the world.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Frequently folks do seem to have the same nature from when they were small up through adulthood. The happy little kid will pretty much be a happy adult, (maybe that's why everyone wants everyone else to have a happy childhood so we will all be surrounded by happy people) anyway, the kid who always wants to boss other kids around will do the same as an adult. The fussy one will still be fussy, the busy one will still be busy. I guess they call that "Type A" when they are adults, as kids they may have a different name for it.

Cheating or stealing is more of an action within the general personality of someone and is probably easier to change than the basic personality itself.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
I believe that people are born with their personality, but develop their character through the thoughts they think. People can, do, and should change their character. Character is made up of habits, and habits can be changed, as someone stated above. Personality on the other hand, is the way a persons brain prefers to operate. This I do not think can be changed. No personality is better or worse, its just what makes us humans different from each other.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 PM

117 posts, read 179,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It will always be a tendency, but if they're self-aware enough they can at least control it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgDyHzDNVc4

It's hard to really become a different person without constantly reinforcing to yourself that your different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy