Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That's the sad truth about the sex trade. It's run by people who don't themselves partake in the act but coerce underlings to do so. Therein lies the lack of morality.
People have this idealized vision that a sex worker is a free spirit who chooses to barter his/her body. When so, that's well and good. Unfortunately it's exceedingly rare. Much research shows the great majority of sex workers are mercilessly, tragically abused and exploited.
No happy ending for them.
You mean like telemarketers who phone me at supper time? They are being coerced to perform tasks on the job about which they feel morally ambivalent (if not downright ashamed and disgusted), but are being coerced by overlords to do them. Often times their state manpower department has retrained them to be telemarketers, and they would suffer serious consequences if they quit their job over ethical issues, when the state officially considers telemarketing to be a legitimate form of employment. They are coerced through threats of losing both income and unemployment benefit eligibility and a miscellany of public benefits.

Since you have raised the issue of the "free spirit" of a coerced worker, you need to consider that it is not defined by your own opinions about morality, but those of the individual worker involved and the state which regulates labor issues.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:28 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
1. I'm sure the VAST majority of those girls are younger than you think they are and are not necessarily there by choice.
I so wish men would stop to think about this.

They are pleasuring themselves with kids, most of whom are forced to do what they do to survive, many actually kidnapped and forced into this sex trade to entice all these "sex tourists" from the west.

The toll of human trafficking is tremendous - and any man who participates is just part of the problem. It's disgusting.

HumanTrafficking.org | Thailand

Old 06-02-2013, 01:30 AM

348 posts, read 830,479 times
With the assumption that you're dealing with a consenting adult, and not a child or sex slave, I find prostitution to be morally questionable, but no more so than sex for dinner and a move, or marriage for financial security. If you want someone to spend your life with, it's probably best to marry someone you actually love. If you want someone to show off, you'd better be rich, and then you can get what you want while pretending it isn't prostitution.

But for straight-up sex, why would you want to pay (however indirectly) without an assured outcome? If both parties know what's expected and agree to it, and are not under coercion, then make a contract and fulfill your obligations. A professional prostitute can provide good value while not wasting a bunch of time and playing damn games or dealing with uncertainty. It isn't a way to find love, but it's a legitimate way to exchange a biological process for financial value. Making it illegal and having to shroud it in gifts or the purchase of unrelated services denies the baseness of it, which helps only people refuse to acknowledge the animal nature. Animals are greedy, so they want money, and they want sex. Refusing to accept that humans have an animal nature only lets that nature influence you unabated while you hide your eyes from it. I say it's best to accept what it is and deal with it in a straightforward manner.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
They are pleasuring themselves with kids, most of whom are forced to do what they do to survive, many actually kidnapped and forced into this sex trade to entice all these "sex tourists" from the west.
"Most" of whom? Do you have figures to back that up?

Also it is worth making a seperation here - are we talking about whether "HEM" is moral in and of itself - or whether the current way it is practiced and provided is immoral or not?

Yes - human trafficiking and any kind of slavery is bad - but the two things are not synonymous. Just because one is bad - this does not make the other bad.

There are immoral and illegal elements in many industries. Even the food production industry has people performing all kinds of immoral and even illegal acts in order to produce their products.

Our target in each case should be to target the immoral and illegal elements - not the entire industry itself.

Food production does not become immmoral just because some people lock up chickens in tiny cages. Prostitution and other sexual services do not become immoral just because some people lock up and traffic people.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,039 times
Having sex with strangers is neither good or bad all by itself. It just depends on how we define it as a society.

Having sex COULD be seen as a form of entertainment, as a form of receiving and giving pleasure.

It has nothing to do with anything else. But society is the one who creates the rules and puts sex within certain context.

So if prostitution is bad it's ONLY bad because we said so.

But by itself, logically speaking, if all the precautions are taken and people don't get sick from it or pregnant, why should it be bad? Why should receiving and giving pleasure to each other be bad?

It's degrading? It's only so because society said: let it be so.

But it's NOT anything by itself.

So, it's possible that one day society will say: sex in any context is not bad. It's a beautiful thing. And that view will make sex a beautiful thing. And everybody will start to see it as something beautiful.

Let's take rape for example. What is rape? Sometimes it's just someone licking and kissing all over your body and doing some other things. So, by itself it's not that horrible. But girls are traumatized by it. Why? Because society has taught them to feel that way, it's like it programmed them: if you go through rape, BE traumatized. But why? There is no good logical reason for it. So it's not the act itself that is horrible, it's the belief about the act that makes it so. I am not saying that rape is a good thing. Rape is a violation of the person, just like any other. And it should be punished just like any other violation of the person (like when someone steals something of yours). But there is no reason to make people feel traumatized for the rest of their lives because of it. When someone steals from us, we don't get "sick" from it. But we do from being raped. It shouldn't be so. It's bad for the people.

Our beliefs make some things horrible when they are not. People feel traumatized by things when they don't have to be.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:46 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post

Let's take rape for example. What is rape? Sometimes it's just someone licking and kissing all over your body and doing some other things. So, by itself it's not that horrible. But girls are traumatized by it. Why? Because society has taught them to feel that way, it's like it programmed them: if you go through rape, BE traumatized. But why? There is no good logical reason for it. So it's not the act itself that is horrible, it's the belief about the act that makes it so. I am not saying that rape is a good thing. Rape is a violation of the person, just like any other. And it should be punished just like any other violation of the person (like when someone steals something of yours). But there is no reason to make people feel traumatized for the rest of their lives because of it. When someone steals from us, we don't get "sick" from it. But we do from being raped. It shouldn't be so. It's bad for the people.

Our beliefs make some things horrible when they are not. People feel traumatized by things when they don't have to be.
There are very good evolutionary reasons for a powerful aversion to rape being hard wired into the female psyche, and not something taught culturally. The rapist overrides the female's decision about accepting the DNA, and is not likely to stick around and help with the kid.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times
Quote:

This is quite possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever read on the internet, and that's saying a lot. I am going to assume you are not a woman, because a woman would never say that. So when you are held down and anally raped, come back here and tell us how not traumatizing it was. Because, you know, society tells men that anal rape is traumatizing.

No one has the right to do anything to anyone else's body without their consent

And with that, folks, I am officially out of this vile conversation. Loves Wisdom - if you really believe the above, please get professional help.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,041,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
This is quite possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever read on the internet, and that's saying a lot. I am going to assume you are not a woman, because a woman would never say that. So when you are held down and anally raped, come back here and tell us how not traumatizing it was. Because, you know, society tells men that anal rape is traumatizing.

No one has the right to do anything to anyone else's body without their consent

And with that, folks, I am officially out of this vile conversation. Loves Wisdom - if you really believe the above, please get professional help.
I think the reality of "rape" is actually a good argument for paid sexual services. You can barely approach women because if you make a wrong move it's sexual harassment or "rape". When you go somewhere to pay for it, it clearly is not rape or harassment.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
We have an active rapist on our streets right now, in my part of town.

He is attacking prostitutes.

Prostitutes can be victims of rape also, and our police are taking these crimes just as seriously as if the victims were children.

No one has the right to lay a finger, (or a tongue or any other body part) on anyone else without their approval.

I don't know why some people find this concept so hard to understand. My four year old got it first time.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
Quote:
Having sex with strangers is neither good or bad all by itself. It just depends on how we define it as a society.

Having sex COULD be seen as a form of entertainment, as a form of receiving and giving pleasure.

It has nothing to do with anything else. But society is the one who creates the rules and puts sex within certain context.

So if prostitution is bad it's ONLY bad because we said so.

But by itself, logically speaking, if all the precautions are taken and people don't get sick from it or pregnant, why should it be bad? Why should receiving and giving pleasure to each other be bad?

It's degrading? It's only so because society said: let it be so.

But it's NOT anything by itself.

So, it's possible that one day society will say: sex in any context is not bad. It's a beautiful thing. And that view will make sex a beautiful thing. And everybody will start to see it as something beautiful.

Have you ever been raped?

No?

I didn't think so.

Yet still you judge and blame the (female) victim.

I tell you what, go to jail and be bubba's girl for a night, and see how "upset" you feel. See if you enjoy that sort of sex - it's all "beautiful" according to you so you should be jumping for joy after losing your man cherry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy