Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

So glad to be here rather than any religion section. Whew.
The concepts, ridiculous to me, that people hang onto are amazing and seem to cause so much suffering!!

Where to start?
We are meant to be happy from birth to death.
Why is this simple truth, concept, idea missed by so many reading the Bible?

Hell doesn't exist...hellish places, sure, the individual creates for himself do.
So stop creating them...filled with guilt, worry, fear, jealousy, anger, having to be right....come on....
Don't worry, be happy.
Be here now in the moment.
Enjoy.
Live and let live.
Believe and receive.
Ask and it is given.
Be kind, love, give.

We are meant to be free and happy.
(On the Christian threads there is so much angst and fear based concepts, oy vey!)

Nice to affirm this and get it out to maybe inspire someone.
I don't want to take away the pain I see 'over there'....they can have it until like
Jonathon Livingston Seagull their heads rise above the rest of the crowd and fly higher!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
The snag comes when you are happy from birth to death at the expense of someone else.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 PM

207 posts, read 336,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The snag comes when you are happy from birth to death at the expense of someone else.
Just like this guy...he takes something positive and puts a negative spin on it. I rarely respond to any "Christian" threads on here for the same reasons. Too many "Debbie Downers" for my liking.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
The snag comes when you are happy
from birth to death at the expense of someone else.
The "expense to others",
I dare say, happens when "you" are unhappy....
Big Snag!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
How can that be?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
Just like this guy...he takes something positive and puts a negative spin on it. I rarely respond to any "Christian" threads on here for the same reasons. Too many "Debbie Downers" for my liking.
I see the "Debbie Downers" (as you put it) as an interesting challenge. There's always a reason for the way someone feels, and if it's negative, don't you think you could try and point out a positive as well?

Old 06-08-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I see the "Debbie Downers" (as you put it) as an interesting challenge.
There's always a reason for the way someone feels, and if it's negative, don't you think you could try
and point out a positive as well?
Nothing that you brought into the topic I started fit into the thread, sorry.
Wish I could say something positive to ya...I got nothin.
I want to get away from the debating and intensity I find on the Christian areas often, (not always).
Maybe I shouldn't have tried to express what I did...oh well...I'm having a great time
In other threads...I can leave this one, no problem.
Take care.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:13 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
I'm Christian, yes. It's not something I'm ashamed of. But I understand and it's missed because it's too simple. Those who have had encounters with The Divine know...He's actually pretty cool! Well, He's indescribable albeit love, but the ego thrives in a "have and have not" way and it's learned to function with the perceived mindset of lack. You know this. If you have, then another cannot have, is the way the ego mind works and if another has, then you do NOT have. It's that's constant striving to one up, to have more, to know more, to be more than our peers. And if you read the Bible from that perception, it will always be used to bolster your ego and make you seem better than others.

What I find interesting, personally, is the way logic works. It always seems to me that emotions are far stronger than logic so much so that even the most seemingly logical people, when their emotions are evoked strongly enough will then come up with "logical" reasons to justify their perception. I feel this way about all people regardless of religion. Our experiences shape the way we view the world a great deal and inspires what we consider to be "logical". Like to me, because of my experiences with God and the positive impact it has had on my life, it just makes sense to believe in Him. I'd be liar if I said I didn't or that He didn't because...well...He is! But to those who haven't had any experiences and who have become bitter by their experiences with religion or even those who have found security in their respective religions, it just makes sense to them to behave and act the way they do, to say the things they say and they'll find "logical" arguments to bolster their claims. This is what they believe and it's "simple" to them to follow it and even to put that on others. This actually gives them a sense of happiness and satisfaction when they've found a convert or someone they can influence.

But it's all over chica. Not just in religion. Many of us just aren't there yet.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Philosophy is not an effort to "find the positive" or to "be happy" or to convince everyone else to seek to fly like Johnathan Livingston Seagull. It is an effort to find a universal truth, a framework within which all phenomena make sense, regardless of whether that is of benefit to anyone.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Philosophy is not an effort to "find the positive" or to "be happy" or to convince everyone else to seek to fly like Johnathan Livingston Seagull. It is an effort to find a universal truth, a framework within which all phenomena make sense, regardless of whether that is of benefit to anyone.
It's possible that to the OP the meaning of life, which is a question often asked when searching for universal truth is to "be happy". Allow people to ask their own philosophical questions and find their own answers without being a sophist, trying to tell people along what lines they should think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy