Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times

Advertisements

I don't know that much about philosophy but it seems that religion, God and Bible based morals have become a big part of "Philosophy" so I wouldn't have thought that would be. So do these topics intersect at some point and if so, what? To me, religion is religion. Philosophy, ideas not religious doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,653 times
There is Religious Philosophy/Theology, the study and dissection of religious belief.

Medieval philosophy is highly religious.

But yes, in the modern day in an academic setting they are, for the most part, separate.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
There is Religious Philosophy/Theology, the study and dissection of religious belief.

Medieval philosophy is highly religious.

But yes, in the modern day in an academic setting they are, for the most part, separate.
Thank you. That is what I was thinking also. It just seems that so many of the topics listed now on Philosophy are aimed at religion, about God and about atheists. Maybe hiding from the more aggressive people in the Religion forum.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,048,891 times
I think a good definition of what philosophy is something precedes all science. For instance, it was philosophy that discovered mathematics. Yes there was a point when we didn't have mathematics, and it took philosophical thinkers to discover it. Also if you read Plato's republic you'll see that it was an idea of his to put mathematics in the school systems.

God is certainly discussed by a lot of philosophers... However they tend to define the term god their own individual ways, not in your drive through happy meal religious ways.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM

195 posts, read 245,442 times
To answer this question, one would have to define religion and philosophy which is rather difficult.

But instead of worrying about these definitions, I recommend reading this book:

The Philosophy of Hebrew Scripture: Yoram Hazony: 9780521176675: Amazon.com: Books

Old 06-26-2013, 04:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't know that much about philosophy but it seems that religion, God and Bible based morals have become a big part of "Philosophy" so I wouldn't have thought that would be. So do these topics intersect at some point and if so, what? To me, religion is religion. Philosophy, ideas not religious doctrine.
I do not see a problem with this though. Much of religion is based on morality. Morality is part of philosophy as far as I am concerned.
I actually see religion as another philosophical angle on how to live life. In other words, I do not have to believe in God in a certain way to see the value of certain moral views espoused by religion and that leaves it open for discussion. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy