Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:41 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why then does the term LGBT exist, and militantly defenced, if "gay" is all that is needed? What is the L in there for?
LGBT stands for Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender. That is because while gay can be refereed to both people lesbian is still the preferred way when talking about women who like women. That is why they say gay and lesbian bars etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
LGBT stands for Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender. That is because while gay can be refereed to both people lesbian is still the preferred way when talking about women who like women. That is why they say gay and lesbian bars etc.
A lot more letters have been added the last several years.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
A lot more letters have been added the last several years.
Yes I know. I think its now GLBTIQQ Honestly I think they can take it to far. I stick with GLBT.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I stick with GLBT.
I'll stick with G.

What's the deal, do women call it LGBT and men call it GLBT? To give themselves first billing? What was I saying about gender equality?

Old 10-31-2013, 05:15 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
OK, let's see. If an insensitive pundit uses the term "gay" to include both men and women, who is it that feels offended by the gaffe? Gay men or Lesbian women? Which side is enforcing the orthodoxy that LGBT be used? Is it Rachel Maddow or Barney Frank who interrupts the discussion and corrects the offending speaker who uses "gay" as genderless, like "people" or "citizens" or "adults" or "parents" (all of which are perfectly gender-neutral). Is it Rachel who says "I'm not one of them, I'm a woman" or is it Barney who says "She's not one of us, she's a woman"?

And how is the spirit of Gender Equality reflected in that?
I have no idea. Why don't you tell us? Better yet, why don't you provide examples?

Wait, let me provide an example (but not the one you seem to think exists):

Rachel Maddow on Being Outed by Her College Newspaper

The very first paragraph:
Quote:
I was a college freshman, and I had just figured out that I was gay. I was heady with the self-importance of a 17-year-old who knows everything and is smarter than everybody—a trait that is great at the moment and really hard to live with in retrospect. I decided I was going to come out of the closet in a very confrontational way. I went to Stanford University, and there was nobody else “out†in my freshman class of more than 1,000 people—which I thought was kind of crazy. So a friend who was coming out at the same time and I did an interview with the student newspaper about being the only two gay freshmen on campus. The mistake I made was that I had not come out to my parents. I told the paper, “I will do this on the condition that you will not run the piece until after this weekend, because I will go home this weekend to tell my parents, and I want them to hear it from me instead of reading it in the paper.†And they ran it before the weekend, and indeed some anonymous person helpfully clipped the article and mailed it to my parents—and that’s how my parents found out that I was gay.
Huh. Seems to me Rachel Maddow has no issue with the word 'gay' referring to women.

Anyway, you were saying?

And while you're at it, care to explain why separate words for different things somehow denotes inequality? (and when you do, please square that with the fact that you use different words for different genders - ie, 'men' and 'women')

You are trying way, way too hard here to be crtitical of something that simply does not exist.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I'll stick with G.

What's the deal, do women call it LGBT and men call it GLBT? To give themselves first billing? What was I saying about gender equality?
The first term I heard was gay and lesbian.

You make a good point about the GLBT versus the LGBT. Both are used and my guess is guys are more likely to say GLBT and women LGBT.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:35 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
It seems to me that putting those two concepts together is a conflict of social philosophy. The term "Lgbt" implies that men and women are to be referred to separately (Lesbian and Gay), and there is no acceptable, "sensitive" term encompassing people of both genders who share the characteristic of non-traditional sexual orientation. Doesn't that distinction, enforced by political correctness, by itself imply an absence and rejection of "gender equality"?

Lesbians refuse to be classified as Gay, exactly at a time when Actresses insist on being called Actors and Hostesses to be called Hosts.
Just so you know, nothing you typed on this thread is informed by reality or any sense of history.

Quote:
OK, let's see. If an insensitive pundit uses the term "gay" to include both men and women, who is it that feels offended by the gaffe?
WTF?

Hetero dude problems.

Don't you have some oil that needs changing or something? I'm not even gay or any iteration of gender variant and the second hand embarrassment is chilling.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:37 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Why then does the term LGBT exist, and militantly defenced, if "gay" is all that is needed? What is the L in there for?

To go one further...why is B or T in there? Bi means you are straight or gay - depending on the color of your mood ring - and trans means you are beyond gay.

I took me a long time to figure out that crazy acronym.

It's really confusing when they throw the Q in for 'questioning'. It should actually be a C for 'curious'.

I'm a middle aged man and have never been any. I love real women.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The English language happens to have a single word which refers solely to homosexual women, but no such word that refers solely to homosexual men.
How about queers (which I heard is a much less offensive term to gays nowadays)? I haven't heard many women calling themselves queers.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
How about queers (which I heard is a much less offensive term to gays nowadays)? I haven't heard many women calling themselves queers.
For the record, I am NOT trying to be offensive to gay people with this statement here. Heck, I am pro-gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy