Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times

Advertisements

I was excited to be alive, woke up every single day with anticipation for what I would encounter around every new corner, and consistently put one foot in front of the other.

And stan4's philosophy works just as well and may in fact be the same perspective.

In your case I have to believe that depression is taking it's toll on you and I do not have an answer for you on that. Good luck and best wishes in finding some passion in and for your life, sincerely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You don't find purpose.

You create it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
You are in school and making progress towards a speech therapy career - that is something to be proud of.

The thing to beware of is the wife/mother goal. This is one of those things - if you try too hard you'll scare men off. Try to put that onthe back burner.

Quote:
Anyone will tell you that I'm a sweetheart, hilarious, and uplifting. But for some reason, I can't uplift myself.
This is an awseome talent and something to be proud of. Will you let us uplift you?

Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm having difficulty finding my purpose in life. And I'm wondering if I actually have one. I'm at a point in my life where I don't see the point in anything.

And yes, I'm depressed. I have been for over 5 years now. I've got a new therapist and take meds. This new therapist seems to be working, but somewhere been last session and today, I've ended up in a rut.

I think this is because of my misconstrued idea of how life is supposed to go (go to school, get married, have kids, etc.).

How did you find your purpose in life, and what is it?
As ironic as it is, I read philosophy to help figure out what I should do in life. I suggest reading some fundamentals like Plato's republic or Aristotle's politics

Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Our first purpose is to be a plaything to our parents. We have no control over whether we are here or not. Our second purpose is to grow up, find a mate, and reproduce. (I broke the mold on the reproduce part) We have many purposes in life. The hard part is finding what you're passionate about and turning that into a way to earn a living. Purposes come and go, but that passion is priceless.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Pinkmani,

Depression can fill your head with terrible thoughts of self destruction and seriously prevent you from moving on with your life. If my earlier post sounded as though my life has been a picnic, it has not. I have also sought professional help at one point in my life. I'll not discredit professional therapy and pharmaceutical technologies but I have been a believing Christian since I was 18 years old, some 45 years ago. I mostly credit my help from the times I spent a few hours on my knees. There were some very dark times in my life when I truly thought God had forgotten me. What I learned was, it was always me who had failed to believe his promises.

Please accept my family's prayers for your future.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM

77 posts, read 218,496 times
Pinkmani -

I am about 50 now, but I do remember being depressed when I was your age. One path out of depression I found was service to others. I recommend you go out and volunteer to help others in whatever way your talents lead. Heavens knows our world desperately needs it! It was through volunteerism that I discovered my true calling in life. Can you tutor kids after school? Work at a soup kitchen? Volunteering helps us make a difference in the world, brings us into contact with others and opens up our worldview. We come to see that yes, one little person can make a positive difference in the world. (quote: "Don't think you can make a difference? Try sleeping in the same room as a mosquito!") The appointment to volunteer gets you out of bed in the morning and gives purpose to your day. People start to trust you and interact with you. You begin to get invited to functions like volunteer recognition luncheons. Before long you'll probably have to learn how to say no to keep from being stretched too thin. You also meet a wide variety of people and learn that everyone has a burden to carry, burdens that might be heavier or lighter than yours. You find that you're not very different from everyone else. In short, service to others teaches you that we are all interconnected, we're all in this together and we all struggle. It's the Human Condition. Depression shuts us up inside ourselves, but volunteerism is a way to overcome it and give meaning to our lives.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:02 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
There is no purpose other than doing whatever in between birth and death.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeegirl View Post
Pinkmani -

I am about 50 now, but I do remember being depressed when I was your age. One path out of depression I found was service to others. I recommend you go out and volunteer to help others in whatever way your talents lead. Heavens knows our world desperately needs it! It was through volunteerism that I discovered my true calling in life. Can you tutor kids after school? Work at a soup kitchen? Volunteering helps us make a difference in the world, brings us into contact with others and opens up our worldview. We come to see that yes, one little person can make a positive difference in the world. (quote: "Don't think you can make a difference? Try sleeping in the same room as a mosquito!") The appointment to volunteer gets you out of bed in the morning and gives purpose to your day. People start to trust you and interact with you. You begin to get invited to functions like volunteer recognition luncheons. Before long you'll probably have to learn how to say no to keep from being stretched too thin. You also meet a wide variety of people and learn that everyone has a burden to carry, burdens that might be heavier or lighter than yours. You find that you're not very different from everyone else. In short, service to others teaches you that we are all interconnected, we're all in this together and we all struggle. It's the Human Condition. Depression shuts us up inside ourselves, but volunteerism is a way to overcome it and give meaning to our lives.
I see myself creating 2 different programs:
-Paying kids to lose weight (EVERYONE WOULD LOVE A FEW BUCKS!)
-A camp or retreat for anyone who needs to be heard

It brings me to tears every time I read one of those "student who was bullied commits suicide" stories because that could be me. Schools don't do enough and those students should be facing harassment charges (and maybe even a wrongful death lawsuit).

I used to volunteer at my local hospital but then the economy collapsed and they had to close the volunteer center. I do remember how rewarding it was. I was pushing the wheelchair from their room to their car. Everyone was SO HAPPY to go home. I should find something else to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Pinkmani,

Depression can fill your head with terrible thoughts of self destruction and seriously prevent you from moving on with your life. If my earlier post sounded as though my life has been a picnic, it has not. I have also sought professional help at one point in my life. I'll not discredit professional therapy and pharmaceutical technologies but I have been a believing Christian since I was 18 years old, some 45 years ago. I mostly credit my help from the times I spent a few hours on my knees. There were some very dark times in my life when I truly thought God had forgotten me. What I learned was, it was always me who had failed to believe his promises.

Please accept my family's prayers for your future.
Depression is a pain in the ass. It's changed who I am as a person.

I'll even admit to not believing anymore. But one day, something amazing happened. Prior to beginning this battle, I would've said that people who commit suicide are selfish. I've contemplated suicide several times (I'm not thinking of that now). I had it all planned out. My life insurance policy is worth $15,000 which would cover the funeral. I thought it through many times. Fortunately, I was never able to complete it because with each attempt someone interrupted me. To me, that was a sign the God was there. I just don't understand why I'm the one that has to be depressed.

I found someone (my kickboxing instructor) who motivated me and told me how great I was doing. And he even noticed when I was losing weight! I was like, "Oh, my gosh! Someone noticed! It's only 10 lbs., but someone noticed!" However, I fell off the bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Our first purpose is to be a plaything to our parents. We have no control over whether we are here or not. Our second purpose is to grow up, find a mate, and reproduce. (I broke the mold on the reproduce part) We have many purposes in life. The hard part is finding what you're passionate about and turning that into a way to earn a living. Purposes come and go, but that passion is priceless.
Yeah, in therapy we were discussing why do I try to please others. We then came to the conclusion that I take on a lot of stress because I try to please others. I'm the type of person to give my last dollar away, even though I'll need it for lunch. I then get frustrated because I don't feel like people give back like I do. Pleasing others isn't a bad trait to have, unless you abuse it and don't please yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You are in school and making progress towards a speech therapy career - that is something to be proud of.

The thing to beware of is the wife/mother goal. This is one of those things - if you try too hard you'll scare men off. Try to put that onthe back burner.

This is an awseome talent and something to be proud of. Will you let us uplift you?
It's an awesome career. I've been shadowing at different therapy clinics and I love it. It's very rewarding.

Scaring a man off is the last thing I want to do.

I'll try to allow you uplift me. But, I shall warn you that it's very hard. Or maybe it will be easier when it's coming from strangers versus my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
As ironic as it is, I read philosophy to help figure out what I should do in life. I suggest reading some fundamentals like Plato's republic or Aristotle's politics
My mom just bought me Joseph Murphy's "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind".

Old 11-25-2013, 02:56 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,061 times
It's a tough one.

In traditional society, one's purpose was pretty much already assigned and most people just did what they were "supposed" to do. Now I don't believe that everyone was unhappy about that. A lot of people want nothing more than do do what everybody is doing and it makes them happy. We live in a world where we're
all supposed to figure out for ourselves what the purpose of life is. It's liberating but it's also quite a daunting task. We're more free to choose but also more free to suffer from bad choices and more free to wander aimlessly.
I think most people sort of stumble into the meaning of their life when they start having families etc.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm having difficulty finding my purpose in life. And I'm wondering if I actually have one. I'm at a point in my life where I don't see the point in anything.

And yes, I'm depressed. I have been for over 5 years now. I've got a new therapist and take meds. This new therapist seems to be working, but somewhere been last session and today, I've ended up in a rut.

I think this is because of my misconstrued idea of how life is supposed to go (go to school, get married, have kids, etc.).

How did you find your purpose in life, and what is it?
One day at a time!

The important thing is to have a steady job and some social life as well. Be sure to spend time outdoors each week too, even if it's hot or cold or rainy or snowy. I've been depressed before and believe me, a small amount of physical discomfort may be well worth it to get you feeling back to normal. If you can do a morning jog, do it, no matter what the weather. It will pay off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy