Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Realize that there are no "good" or "bad" situations, our reactions determine whether we label them such. Everything in life is about your mindset and attitude. With the right mindset and attitude you can be happy and fulfilled no matter your situation in life. We choose our own happiness or unhappiness. Happy people are happy because they choose to be happy. Unhappy misers choose their emotional and mental states as well.
A lot of people don't have that choice. It comes down to luck of the draw physiology for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
A lot of people don't have that choice. It comes down to luck of the draw physiology for many.
I think that's very rare. It really sounds like an excuse for self-loathing.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I think that's very rare. It really sounds like an excuse for self-loathing.
Why do you think it's rare and what evidence about populations and physiology brings you to the conclusion of excuse for self-loathing?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,985 times
Quote:
Realize that there are no "good" or "bad" situations, our reactions determine whether we label them such. Everything in life is about your mindset and attitude. With the right mindset and attitude you can be happy and fulfilled no matter your situation in life. We choose our own happiness or unhappiness. Happy people are happy because they choose to be happy. Unhappy misers choose their emotional and mental states as well.
OP here. You've taken a lot of criticism for your remarks but I think you're right. Most of us are tossed about by our emotions without realizing how much choice we have if we develop some disciplined self-reflection. Not an easy habit, to monitor one's internal reactions, however. See writings about Buddhist monks (for example).

Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
OP here. You've taken a lot of criticism for your remarks but I think you're right. Most of us are tossed about by our emotions without realizing how much choice we have if we develop some disciplined self-reflection. Not an easy habit, to monitor one's internal reactions, however.
It's a correct line of thinking if you are ignorant human neurochemistry, but all the ignorance in the world doesn't change physiology. That's not to say that people cannot master their minds, but their is a reality for a good many people who are challenged out of the gate.

For example,
Quote:
  • Researchers at the University of Edinburgh found mothers' wombs and babies' brains contain a chemical protecting them from a mother's stress
  • But some women lack this chemical exposing their unborn babies to stress
  • Those exposed appear to be more susceptible to anxiety and depression
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...epression.html

or

"Depression’s Chemical Imbalance Explained"

These aren't things many people can control if they face these challenges.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:22 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
I'd love to get some feedback on this.

1. Don't lie. See: Sam Harris, Lying (Available on Amazon)
  2. Forgive (maybe not forget), but forgive See: anything about the life of Nelson Mandela
  3. Find work to do which will contribute to, and connect you with, your community
  4. Be kind and patient; try to see the other person without the screen of your own ego needs

Add whatever you wish....

The Sam Harris (a neuroscientist and prominent a-theist) book (easy read, and not long), caused me to see how everyone lies, all the time. And Harris studied with someone who offered alternatives to that. Very, very interesting thing. When you stop lying, even about the smaller things, it causes you to see deeper into your own behavior and objectives.
Thank you for the book recommendation.

I have a few more to add to the list:

Happier

Happier: Learn the Secrets to Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment: Tal Ben-Shahar: 9780071492393: Amazon.com: Books

The How of Happiness

The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want: Sonja Lyubomirsky: 9780143114956: Amazon.com: Books

Both books are based on scientific research about what actions and attitudes make people happy. The first takes a more holistic approach and the second advises readers to pick 3 or 4 actions form a menu of 12 and do them consistently.

They both complement each other quite well.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:30 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
OP here. You've taken a lot of criticism for your remarks but I think you're right. Most of us are tossed about by our emotions without realizing how much choice we have if we develop some disciplined self-reflection. Not an easy habit, to monitor one's internal reactions, however. See writings about Buddhist monks (for example).
I agree here. And by the way, much of the happiness research has found that most of the stuff taught by the Buddhist religion for the past 2500 years is actually correct. It also turns out that people who practice a religion regularly tend to be happier than those who don't.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,603 times
-Never rely on anyone else for your happiness. Once I figured that out, I felt unstoppable.
-Realize that we can't change certain situations, just our reaction to them. Because of this, I also really agree with NorthGAbound12.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It also turns out that people who practice a religion regularly tend to be happier than those who don't.
That makes sense. It allows for reconciliation of just about anything that may cause discomfort.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Hm. I've only found happiness in the past few years. A few things have occurred to me during that time:

I'd say knowing what matters or what is important to you is key. I've prioritized things in life like my personal freedom, my loved ones and my health. From a global perspective, there are things that are much more important, but in terms of day-to-day life, those are my priorities.

Being able to let go of the things that you personally cannot change is another big one.

Acting with good intentions and sincerity.

Awareness. It may not seem like understanding how people suffer around the world or how we're destroying our world is a path to happiness, but I think it's a happier thing that sticking your head in the sand. And awareness as often as not leads to action and positive impacts.

Gratitude. I am an atheist, so I don't thank any gods for what I have, but I appreciate the good things in my life on a daily basis and am determined to never take them for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy