Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,694,763 times

Advertisements

I feel much better thinking that this is normal behavior as a young teen!
Thank you for the comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,386,030 times
Sign him up for the debate team.
He'll quickly find out his counter positioning on arguments have a consequence.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,694,763 times
He did find this forum that had similar interests and would get on there and debate back and forth with his views, etc.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,551,782 times
If you want to push him further away from what you believe, which is apparently the Bible, then make him go to church every Sunday.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM

87 posts, read 136,810 times
Well it frankly sounds to me that you've raised a perfectly fine person! Why wreck it now by shoving a Bible at him?

Old 01-23-2014, 02:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,020,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I am posting this here, because I feel shame and guilt for not taking my son to church!
He just turned 15 last month, and he is into Communisim, and wants to be in Politics when he is older.
He enjoys to be the the one who disagrees with everyone else, because he said he feels like he shouldn`t have to agree with everyone else, just to fit in, or be part. He explained that everyone is different, but it shouldn`t mean that they get treated any different from anyone else.
Sigh... I am at my wits end.
He told me that he didn`t understand how a big guy in the sky could create every living thing in this world in 6 days! He told me that he didn`t believe in GOD! My heart broke.
I told him that we need to get the Bible out, and read. He said that the Bible is just words that someone else written, that's not true. He ask for "proof."
I explained to him that our Faith in him is enough, and we must believe in him.
I don`t understand his thinking on this! He told me to read the Buddism book, and open my mind to other religions. I get frustrated, and lose my patients with him about all this.
I cannot start pushing religion down him now. What do I do? Let him learn as he goes on his own?
Communisim? His Dad and I have tried to explain our reasoning behind how we feel, and he just seems to want to point out what he has learned.
Smile and nod until he turns 20.

My brother was the same way, didn't believe in God, etc. I told him he was free to believe whatever he wanted, just be respectful of other people's beliefs.

He's 22 now and quite "normal" again.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,263,230 times
Explain your beliefs to him and let him question them. Have an honest discussion with him. Then let him draw his own conclusions and accept them as you cannot force religion in a person.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,210,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I am posting this here, because I feel shame and guilt for not taking my son to church!
He just turned 15 last month, and he is into Communisim, and wants to be in Politics when he is older.
He enjoys to be the the one who disagrees with everyone else, because he said he feels like he shouldn`t have to agree with everyone else, just to fit in, or be part. He explained that everyone is different, but it shouldn`t mean that they get treated any different from anyone else.
Sigh... I am at my wits end.
He told me that he didn`t understand how a big guy in the sky could create every living thing in this world in 6 days! He told me that he didn`t believe in GOD! My heart broke.
Yah I held off telling my Mom until she was ready to hear it. But I am right there with your son. It hit me one time that there was no more evidence for the god of the bible than there was for Roman or Greek myths.

Quote:
I told him that we need to get the Bible out, and read. He said that the Bible is just words that someone else written, that's not true.
What is not true?

Quote:
He ask for "proof."
Smart kid. I would use the word evidence, since there really is no such thing as proof. Only extended lack of disproof. But it does seem odd to me to believe in a magical being based on the book whose storeis are conflicting and often do not even lead to the dogma of the religions who claim their use it as their word of god.

Quote:
I explained to him that our Faith in him is enough, and we must believe in him.
It is enough for YOU. Evidently not for him.

Quote:
I don`t understand his thinking on this! He told me to read the Buddism book, and open my mind to other religions.
Good idea! Even if you don't agree with it or it moves you not one whit, you will have put a positive effort toward understanding your son.

Quote:
I get frustrated, and lose my patients with him about all this.
I would bet my left knee that he does too.
Quote:
I cannot start pushing religion down him now. What do I do? Let him learn as he goes on his own?
Communisim? His Dad and I have tried to explain our reasoning behind how we feel, and he just seems to want to point out what he has learned.
So you have tried to explain your point of view. It does not sound like you are listening to his.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:40 PM

27 posts, read 139,508 times
So what is the problem? Teenagers who are quick to conform I wonder about how they will every be able to find themselves. Have you examined some communist principles you might find them interesting too! Instead of wondering where you went wrong look at your child's interest to have a conversation with him, surprise him how open minded you are to allow him to grow.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 PM

8 posts, read 12,075 times
Sigh he should declare more unfavorable things because he is a teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy