Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:46 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxf848 View Post
Is it wrong to wear clothes opposed to norms? As a liberal, I'd say not. However, as a student of human behavior I'd say that the choice to do so means something; I don't think that the making of that decision is arbitrary or meaningless.
Nor is it trivial. I'd be concerned, not that my son is potentially transgender or body dismorphic, but that he'll pay a heavy price for being those things. If he's on the fence, a minimum of confusion over these things might save him a world of hurt. Conventions and customs provide clarity, and learning to live within them isn't entirely a Bad Thing.

Also, as a more general matter, children don't need every whim that enters their heads catered to. Technically there's nothing wrong with a child developing an interest in bomb-making but he can bloody well take it up after he's well out of my house ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's not a "slippery slope" argument. It's a valid question.
It would be helpful if you chose to keep up with the discussion before replying to it. If you scroll back the user I was replying to ASKED no "question" at all. The user made an outright and unsubstantiated assertion that anyone who is in favor of cross dressing is also in favor of cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If everyone has to be okay with the little boy wearing a dress, doesn't everyone have to be okay with adultery or anything else people want to do that isn't hurting anyone else? Who is allowed to disagree?
How is adultery not "hurting anyone else"? Clearly you and I are operating under a different meaning of the word "adultery" and the implications of it.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:58 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
ok,,,all you open minded liberals

so,,,lets establish its ok to wear a dress if a kid,,,

so when in high school,,,he wants to play field hockey and wear the little skirt,,is that ok too??

this caused an uproar amongst the progressive liberals in one local school years ago,,,
and it was the liberals that protested and stopped this...

if some girls are good enough to play boys football, then why cant boys play field hockey??????

Old 09-08-2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
so when in high school,,,he wants to play field hockey and wear the little skirt,,is that ok too??
That is not a true comparison on which to base a question. Such sports have set uniforms for set reasons, some of them including player safety.

So you are attempting to compare personal clothing and fashion choice..... with set clothing choices related to the RULES of a sport. Apples and Oranges.

Further a fashion choice does not change what sex you actually are. Donning a skirt does not make you a girl.... and hence does not qualify you for girls only sports. Especially in leagues where that is again the RULE.

If you want MIXED sex sports leagues however then there is certainly no one and nothing stopping you from setting one up yourself. Go for it. But do not try to undermine the current structure of existing leagues just to score a political or social agenda point.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:57 AM

^ One should remember however that it was not that long ago where culture was exactly reversed on pink and blue. Once it was blue for girls and pink for boys. And seeing a man wearing blue would cause the exact same form of double take then, as it sometimes does when we see a man wearing pink in todays society.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Indeed. Not that long ago too.... pink was also considered the standard color for boys and blue was only for girls.
I can remember that in the Fifties charcoal grey sport jacket and a pink dress shirt was a hot combination for guys, as was black pegged pants and a pink shirt.

Spin the clock ahead fifty years and I recall a Brit female friend getting all smirky and eye-rolling when I showed up in a madras sport shirt that was a faded combination of blue and pink. She thought it was very "that way," as did her female friend.

People are nuts.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:12 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
No two-year old toddler is "choosing" to wear a dress; a crunchy-granola mom put him in one to make a statement, and we're not supposed to think that's nuts; it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy