Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:41 AM

543 posts, read 944,101 times

Advertisements

What is wrong with being a hedonist? Why doesn't everyone, at the very least intelligent, rational people indulge in it often?

Why don't you lie next to a swimming pool in full, bright sunshine while getting an occasional massage at the end of every day? The ancients had mastered this art(public salt baths anyone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 02:20 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,433,033 times
I think it's because:

1. For most people it's financially impossible

2. Human nature seems to dictate than unless we have a contrast to our pleasures they soon pale.

3. Then there's that pesky old thing called moral responsibility that suggests to us that we do something for someone else now and then. For many that is combined with a superstition that if they aren't productive, caring people they will be punished in some way.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:51 PM

20,020 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Define "hedonism". As it was originally postulated, it was far more about avoiding suffering than about indulging in all sorts of wanton pleasure. Hedonism has become a dirty word equated with extreme self-indulgence, but in reality, most people don't engage in such behavior. Ironically they don't do so because of something science calls hedonic tone which is that our emotional and physiological response to pleasure / happiness cannot long rise above our personal baseline anyway. Hedonism as the bogeyman in between the ears of people who consider themselves moral and upright, is a self-limiting problem; you can't get any sustained "juice" out of 24/7 orgies or the like. And someone who truly studies hedonism as a philosophy of life will not be inclined to try stuff like that anyway.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:00 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,864 times
I think that it's a lot of fun !
It's too bad that it's so expensive.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
What is wrong with being a hedonist? Why doesn't everyone, at the very least intelligent, rational people indulge in it often?

Why don't you lie next to a swimming pool in full, bright sunshine while getting an occasional massage at the end of every day? The ancients had mastered this art(public salt baths anyone).
Well, it was determined that if everybody did this, there would be nobody to massage them since they'd all be doing what they prefer to do (which, ironically was NOT massaging fat hairy dudes all day).

So, the first solution was to capture & enslave large groups of people to do all that bull**** work. This worked quite well for a time. But this slavery required whippings, beatings, and generally physical oversight to be effective. And then some of the greedier fortunate ones ruined things for the rest of them and eventually uprisings occurred.

So the next idea was to create a universal way to barter for services & goods. Hence the monetary system was born. The nice thing about that is you create a dependency on monetary bartering so that when you subsequently consolidate industries, and dictate all value of all goods & services, you can now enslave people much more cleanly. And this doesn't require nearly as much of the messy physical oversight & beatings that the previous system required.

So the answer is that, yes hedonism (in its more pure definition) is practiced but only by those who can control the will of others, since others must suppress their own hedonistic desires for the greater good.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
...you can't get any sustained "juice" out of 24/7 orgies or the like.
Exactly. Hedonism gets old, and the more you indulge, the faster you run through the pleasures, constantly looking for the next thing...and the next...

As the Hindus say, "Frosted cakes do not satisfy hunger."

Old 11-13-2014, 10:11 AM

543 posts, read 944,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Exactly. Hedonism gets old, and the more you indulge, the faster you run through the pleasures, constantly looking for the next thing...and the next...

As the Hindus say, "Frosted cakes do not satisfy hunger."
But weren't the ancient Greeks, Romans, Indians indulging in it their whole lives? They made it a part of their existence....public steam baths to gather and talk intellectual or just banter is one such example. Ancient baths have been found in all ancient history, regardless of geography or timeline.

Perhaps to me hedonism is a very streamlined term for a certain pace of lifestyle and indulgences that go with it.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
But it became a came more and more the motive for life and more and more they loss control of Empire and even governing the citizens. One only has to know it history to see what Elite did to control public by distraction. Much as we have seen with food over time in this country once we were not hungary much. The public became Fat with pleasure seeking.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:11 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
As a teenager I was a self proclaimed Satanist, very into the books of LaVey. The core concept I liked at the time was self-worship, living for my own pleasure, sacrificing my own needs and wants for no one. I lived as hedonistic a life as I could manage. A few years of this...by the time I reached my age of majority this had become very hollow. I found myself restless always, never satisfied and feeling like I was searching but didn't know what for. Nothing in my life seemed to have any particular purpose or importance.

When I had my first child I realized that in being needed by another and giving care and love to another, in living for someone/something outside of myself, I was really finding that purpose. It felt wonderful, and I loved myself far more after that than I did before, despite the seeming contradiction, that previously I was attempting to live only for myself. I felt that my life had value.

So I concur that hedonistic behavior isn't satisfying. I think that most people need something more. If this were not the case, then why would very wealthy people engage in philanthropy, or do anything besides lying in the sun and getting massages? We can accept that not everyone can afford to do this...but those who can, still often don't. And many who can afford to be hedonistic and maybe try to be, wind up miserable wretches who destroy themselves.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:57 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,458 times
Why do you equate steam baths with hedonism? Back then, it was what the upper classes did rather than go out for coffee or drinks at a bar after a long day. Networking, hanging out with friends and relaxing a bit. Not hedonism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy