Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:19 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Probably from Christ.

I once heard that the Old Testament is about a God of vengeance but the New Testament talks of a loving God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Both NDE experiencers and yogis/mystics describe it as the very fabric of the universe, the fabric of awareness itself. You are it and it is All.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:44 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,460 times
The first time I heard this equation was in reading Johnny Cash's first autobiography, Man in Black. I really liked the bio and the phrase "god is love" stuck with me. I interpret it to be a modification of god more than of love, since for me god is a bit tougher to imagine. Ultimately the phrase reminds me that love, like god, is something bigger than we can imagine or really even do justice to. We fail love like we fail god, and our best moments are when we are doing justice to live just as when we are doing justice to god.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:03 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
This is actually the opposite of what I was trying to say. I was saying that God is love does not mean that God is loving. These are two different ideas. The concept that religious people label as "God is love" actually has to do with natural processes which govern our life and I was trying to see behind the scenes and observe how they do it.
I apologize if I missed it, but it seems you haven't defined love or God.

To (philosopher) Paul Tillich, one's personal god is "one's ultimate concern" - what one worships or prioritizes or loves/desires most (whether it's called god or not).
Others define God as intelligent design.

I define love as appreciating what is while striving for what is best, through trial & error (active faith).
Since the beginning of our earth's creation, of what is known, it seems that various life forms have been evolving - which means they break out of habitual laws, to try something new.
Hawking defined intelligence as the ability to adapt to change (like how I defined love), so there's overwhelming evidence that our universe was created by intelligent design - aka love.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:21 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
I apologize if I missed it, but it seems you haven't defined love or God.
Now I see that I wrote it in a very confusing way and the title didn't mean in my mind what people assume it means. I wasn't talking about love of God, I was talking about "love" itself, what it is and what it does.

Not love OF God, but love as God, (as some people perceive it). But I was just talking about love itself, it doesn't need to be related to God, and the only reason I mentioned it in that context is because some people do relate it to God and I just wanted to draw a parallel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy