Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:54 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

And if so, does it keep you from finding happiness?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 11:21 PM

189 posts, read 176,531 times
I am a nihilist in so far as I believe "that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value. Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived." - Whatever value life has, is contrived by thinking living beings. Absent an observer to give life or morals value, there cannot be value.

This, however, does not prevent me from contriving my own morals and assigning value to life. My nihilism does not contradict my ethical hedonism ("Ethical hedonism is the idea that all people have the right to do everything in their power to achieve the greatest amount of pleasure possible to them, assuming that their actions do not infringe on the equal rights of others." - also wiki).

I am also lucky enough to have the genetic disposition of being generally happy "at rest" - so, I am happy without having to try too hard. I am also very lucky in being able to glean happiness from my life.. so, in general, I am a pretty happy nihilist

Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 AM

3,991 posts, read 6,795,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
This, however, does not prevent me from contriving my own morals and assigning value to life. My nihilism does not contradict my ethical hedonism ("Ethical hedonism is the idea that all people have the right to do everything in their power to achieve the greatest amount of pleasure possible to them, assuming that their actions do not infringe on the equal rights of others." - also wiki).
Ethical hedonism? Interesting definition... I think I will adopt this philosophy too...

I think I'm kind of a nihilist... But I don't think that prevents me from "finding happiness"... Although I'm aware that any happiness is only temporary... But can be replaced by another happiness later...

Old 12-04-2015, 02:17 PM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
I am a nihilist in so far as I believe "that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value. Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived." - Whatever value life has, is contrived by thinking living beings. Absent an observer to give life or morals value, there cannot be value.

I am also lucky enough to have the genetic disposition of being generally happy "at rest" - so, I am happy without having to try too hard. I am also very lucky in being able to glean happiness from my life.. so, in general, I am a pretty happy nihilist

I could high five you for this. I profoundly agree. I do not think that there is an absolute Truth when it comes to morality, when it comes to good and evil. These are vitally important social constructs that humans probably had to come up with...but they aren't absolute or self evident.

I also do not think that happiness of any sort is only temporary. I carry a merrily burning little bonfire of happiness inside. Externalities do not bring me down, at least not for very long. Unhappiness, for me, is a temporary condition. As temporary as a fleeting head cold or toothache, and as curable.

This is why I came to this subforum. I was thinking today, how important to me is my philosophy of happiness. I know people who are baseline unhappy and seek happiness from externalities. They do not seem to fare so well...

Old 12-07-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I also do not think that happiness of any sort is only temporary. I carry a merrily burning little bonfire of happiness inside. Externalities do not bring me down, at least not for very long. Unhappiness, for me, is a temporary condition. As temporary as a fleeting head cold or toothache, and as curable.

Both happiness and unhappiness are temporary

One will never be happy all the time, or unhappy all the time.

As a nihilist, I know life has no meaning or purpose. The meaning of life is just staying alive, if you want to.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
To the thread title: I don't consider myself a nihilist, for I see values as being rooted in our ability to feel emotional disturbance / degradation. I'll explain it via this example:

Someone with intent of malice inflicted upon me a physical disability (permanent or not). This person did so in a spirit of spite, contempt, or conscious willful indifference toward me. If such acts or the sentiment accompanying them did not tend to cause in others (or me) non-trivial emotional disturbances, then I would find it very difficult to justify forbidding such acts against others and/or me. Furthermore, physical injury need not be present - mere emotional disturbance is enough. One can substitute racial and sexual harassment in my above example and the point still applies despite the act's lack of physicality.

As for our purpose: I distinguish between humanity as a whole and individual humans. Be careful not to confuse the two lest you commit The Fallacy of Composition or it's opposite The Fallacy of Division (assuming the whole and its parts have the same properties). In this case, I say the human species has no purpose, for essentially humanity simply strives to survive for the sake of surviving. For individual humans, there is a purpose. Without going into details, I say that if humans do have a purpose, it's to prevent or mitigate against pain, suffering, and degradation.

Don't mistake me. There's nothing wrong with pleasure so long as the pleasure itself (or the means of securing it) does not cause grief, harm, or degradation of other's essential dignity. It's just that I consider pleasure important to the extent that, absent that pleasure, suffering, harm and degradation result, especially to others (I consider morality cannot exist if only one person is affected by an act, but that's another topic).

Old 12-09-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
For individual humans, there is a purpose. Without going into details, I say that if humans do have a purpose, it's to prevent or mitigate against pain, suffering, and degradation.

Sigmund Freud once wrote: "what decides the purpose of life is simply the programme of the pleasure principle".

To Freud, both "seeking of pleasure" and "avoiding of pain" are part of the same principle, that he called "pleasure principle".

Old 12-09-2015, 05:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
And if so, does it keep you from finding happiness?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
you don't base yourself off a phileo. You are what you are, then tag pieces of phileo to match match you.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:02 PM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Sigmund Freud once wrote: "what decides the purpose of life is simply the programme of the pleasure principle".

To Freud, both "seeking of pleasure" and "avoiding of pain" are part of the same principle, that he called "pleasure principle".
I wish he were around so I could have a conversation with him about BDSM.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:24 AM

914 posts, read 766,191 times
Doesn't nihilism essentially mean that you can do whatever you want, whenever you, to whom or whatever you want because morality, ethics and meaning don't exist? I am not a nihilist because no matter where I go or what I do, I can't put the notion of 'right' and 'wrong' out of my mind. I can't see a report about a murder, rape or molestion and shake the notion that this is 'evil' and people who do these things are 'evil'. I can't look at Houlocaust pictures and pictures from the eastern front of ww2 and not conclude that this was 'evil'. I can't look at ISIS beheadings as meaningless, they are 'evil' to me. That is why I personally can not be a nihilist. Nihilism, to me, is one step away from psychopathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy