Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times

Advertisements

Everyone can believe what they want, speculate and wish what they want, but the fact is we don't know until we die, period. I speculate that when our brains stop, we are done, other than to feed worms or other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 PM

678 posts, read 438,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Indeed.... That is the only logical answer!!

The only ppl who know FOR SURE are those who "have died and come back" and say they have seen beautiful things.....
Well said

Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 PM

678 posts, read 438,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
in ... heaven, can you still see and breathe, will you have a next life?
All live, & until given a new body, you there see with your mind, kind of like how you see with your mind here in mortality.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:37 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The only ppl who know FOR SURE are those who "have died and come back" and say they have seen beautiful things.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Well said
I have a lot of respect for the NDE stories. They are anecdotal, so they are hard to treat as rigorous scientific data, but some of them are so impressive that I think it would be foolish to simply dismiss them because of their anecdotal nature. Still, I would not capitalize the "FOR SURE" in saying that these people know about the afterlife. There mere fact that they recovered is sufficient proof that their brain cells did not technically die, despite the "brain death" pronouncement, so there is still a reasonable chance that their "afterlife" experience is, technically, a "brain death" experience involving hallucinations. Literal death and decay of neurons could be a totally different story, so even the NDE folks don't know what the literal death and decay of brain cells implies.

Still, I do take the NDE stories as interesting evidence to consider when contemplating the nature of consciousness and its relation to brain functioning. My own theory is that brain functioning is more like a "filtering" than a "experience generating" process.

And I don't agree with the pessimists who say we can "never know" until we actually die. Over the centuries, science has relentlessly made fools of people who have declared that this or that is impossible for science to solve. Of course we can never know with 100% certainty because science doesn't provide any knowledge with certainty, but we might someday have good reasons to say, one way or the other, with reasonably high confidence. For the moment I am reasonably confident that I will experience consciousness beyond the death of my physical body, based on the combination of scientific and philosophical concepts I discussed on page 19 in this thread, and in more detail over in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I now think that I the physical death of this body is probably not going to be the end of my experience. I've was recently explaining my reasons in a different thread (this thread in the Religion and Spirituality forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-death-24.html )

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 05-17-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 10:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Once you die, what will happen after death?

I will begin to neglect my personal hygiene.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:04 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Once you die, what will happen after death?

I will begin to neglect my personal hygiene.
LOL- Thank you for this!!!

Old 05-17-2017, 01:33 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
the O.P. asks: "Once you die, what will happen after death? (life)"

the only part of you that 'dies', is your physical body. Your soul, & mind live forever... and
eventually you may get another 'body' that also will never die. So KEWL Praise God!
There's a film about the Tibetan Book of the Dead, that shows a cremation ceremony, and has an animated part that illustrates what happens after death. Fascinating!

Old 05-20-2017, 01:33 AM

48 posts, read 34,490 times
What will happen after death? What about some experiments.
1/Astral and mental traveling (projection). Show that in the body is something normaly invisible, what can come out from the body and act independently.
2/Magick evocations they show existence supernatural beings. Angels, demons, natural spirits.....

A think it will be different, It depends on the mind of man. For this reason there are diferent meditations
as it practiced by buddhists, mystics, yogis...... and others....

Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
You shed your material body and move over to the Afterlife which might be like heaven compared to this material plane. You still see but no longer need to breathe since you are no longer confined to a material body. It's not so much a "next life" as it is more of your current life but in a different and way better spiritual plane or realm. Those I currently know in the Afterlife still like certain foods and drinks and many other things in the material plane.

Your spirit (which is you) is eternal. You might get a next material life if you want to re-incarnate back on earth or some other material place. Those in the Afterlife are very eager to tell you how things are for them over there and can easily tell you through a Reader or Psychic.
good luck
You know this how? Did you come back from the dead? Or are you just saying what you want to believe?

Old 05-20-2017, 10:21 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,644,568 times
I believe death is the end of our existence. Not a happy thought, but nothing we can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy