Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times

Advertisements

When I was a freshman in college I remember having the instructor in drawing class taking us outside on a spring day, having us gather up four short sticks and marking off a four inch square on the ground. Then she gave us a large piece of poster board and told us to draw everything we saw in that small square.

What a good exercise for young minds! The microcosm is a world teeming with details that we thoughtlessly trample over every day.

I've always felt appreciative for her lesson that day and its reminder to not just look but to see.

I guess the point is that we have to be mindful that we are born with natural curiosity and if we want to keep that sense of wonder and delight we are responsible for little exercises to counteract the weight of the daily grind. Sounds like a principle of good mental health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 01:56 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Children always ask questions and want to learn more - about life, people, buildings, music, nature, the world, stars, planets and everything else.

Adults often lose interest in all these things. They become much narrower and their conversation centers around money, work and material things. Even when adults discuss travel, they make it a competition about who's been to the most places.

Why do you think this happens? Would it be better if children never grew up?
This is easy to answer.

Adults think they already know everything. They stop searching.

Society rules dampen the wonder and enthusiasm of childhood. We are conditioned from birth to think and behave in certain "acceptable" ways. For example, daydreaming is frowned upon, but it is actual a very creative state.

Young children up to about 6-8 years old are closer to their original source that is prior to their conception. They still remember their light-being in a mass-less state and are overjoyed and very curious about the physical world.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:58 PM

866 posts, read 630,115 times
Quote:
Children always ask questions and want to learn more - about life, people, buildings, music, nature, the world, stars, planets and everything else.

Adults often lose interest in all these things. They become much narrower and their conversation centers around money, work and material things. Even when adults discuss travel, they make it a competition about who's been to the most places.

Why do you think this happens?
I will speak for my self here. The wind was knocked out of my sails pretty early on by our parents, mostly my dad, who was a very abusive, jealous and DANGEROUS man so I decided, early on, not to get too excited about life or my "dreams" 'cos they were never going to come true - at least not while living under his f****ing roof. My older brother often got what he wanted or was free to "dream" and so was my younger sister, but I, the Middle Child, somehow "gave up" at about 6-8 and have not fully recovered so far. I have tried to get excited and succeed with a few things in life but am still about as unsuccessful as I was back home (I'm 79 now). I have come to see this as a spiritual or existential thing which began with an oppressive, depressive upbringing and has somehow continued on. Now don't get upset here! I am not BLAMING my parents for my current life style! I have had plenty of chances to overcome my childhood and it no longer rules my life. My parents were the worst but I've had lots of better role models since, including my late wife, so this is not about downing my parents, family or childhood.
Quote:
Would it be better if children never grew up?
In a way, I never grew up, but I don't see it as better or worse. It would be "better" if adults would not FORGET their childhood or FORGET how to play. It would be better if adults could get better early conditioning and upbringing so, perhaps this is about nature or god. I wish my life had been different but don't know how or even why. I am very glad that my life is so different than my parents lives were but who knows what that means or if it even means anything in the grand scheme of things.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:48 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
I think it's pretty telling, and supportive of the thesis of age-related loss of wonder (not that anyone would really argue against the general phenomenon, anecdotal possible exceptions notwithstanding), that so many respondents are content to type a few sentences and frame it as an authoritative reply. Not that most of the prior replies aren't making good points (I especially liked post #28, among numerous others). But I think it's interesting that we seem to have lost our sense of wonder even about why we've lost our sense of wonder.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 04-13-2017 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 09:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:

Why do you think this happens? Would it be better if children never grew up?
Wait till you get old and retire. The wonder and curiosity come back. Plus you have no money, so the materialism and work things fade into irrelevance. And travel beomes more about comfort than competition.

Remember the stages of life:

1. You believe in Santa Claus.
2. You are Santa Claus.
3. You look like Santa Claus.

Note the affinity between 1 and 3.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:56 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,060 times
Because reality smacks you in the face. You learn that life isnt this world filled with innocent teachers, cops, priests, etc.
When they told you that you shouldn't LIE and it was so horrible to LIE that they were LYING!! A lot of people LIE!
When you realize that there are a lot of fing perverts in the world, it is mind blowing. When you watch your local news and see at least one child molester.rapist arrested everyday or every other day!
When you realize that murder is illegal because humans would be extinct if it was legal.
When you realize that a lot of people are not faithful and cheat on their spouse/girlfriend.

When you realize that everything eats each other all day. Weird!!
Whey you realize that humans abuse more than any other animal!!!

And on and on and on.

That is why.

Sad isnt it.

That's why I love seeing children they are so innocent and pure for the most part. Also i would like to note that humans do some wonderful things too but you asked.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dissenter View Post
sense of wonder goes out the window once you have to start paying rent and realize how sick and disgusting humanity can be.
yes!!!!!

Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
It's dangerous to wonder and be curious. Bosses think you're being disobedient. Friends think it's incorrect thinking.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Death, of parts of the brain.

Apparently, there is less grey matter in adults' brains.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:49 AM

205 posts, read 206,036 times
I am going to regain my Adult Childhood at the Munich and Zurich Christmas Market---If I could I would take you all with me ---Eh heh ummm but, maybe you can grab an Ãœber cheap flight ooonnn I-C-E-L-A-N-D AAIIRRR!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy