Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 03:05 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times

Advertisements

I personally think of it as a form of volunteering if I'm helping people here, on other forums, or in other Internet communities - by putting in time and effort to help people without getting paid, which is pretty much the definition of volunteering. Yes, helping people online is different than volunteering at your local hospital, soup kitchen, or city park and those do help your local communities but communities also exist online (like here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 05:49 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
OK. Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:28 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Yeah, I'd call online offerings of help volunteering, especially if people respond positively, and you get the feedback that you're being effective. It's probably not as significant as rolling up the sleeves and interacting personally, one on one, but still counts.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I suppose that would depend on the intent.

I've received a lot of positive feedback from people but mostly, the "help" provided was somewhat accidental. Not so much in real, actual & factual help but more so emotional validation or understanding.

A formal volunteer would be maintaining a set of values & representing the mission of an agency & a lot of times; I'm just here blabbing away ... I have good days & bad days just like everyone else & I know I've come here & been flip or snarky. If I were here formally volunteering I don't think that would be appreciated.

There are a few ... okay; there is one topic here on CD where I post on already active threads for the purpose of advocacy. My intent is to appear in a casual "IMO" manner regarding a topic where my mind is made up. I never start threads about it & except for one time in the Great Debates forum; I rarely return to argue about it. In this case I am posting more for the thousands of lurkers here who will see what I said & file a "mental note" on it.

I have nothing to gain & would cease to be helpful if I were to appear as fanatical about it. And for this topic, I provide very credible links; it can be a lot of work & in that case; yes ... I am volunteering.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I personally think of it as a form of volunteering if I'm helping people here, on other forums, or in other Internet communities - by putting in time and effort to help people without getting paid, which is pretty much the definition of volunteering. Yes, helping people online is different than volunteering at your local hospital, soup kitchen, or city park and those do help your local communities but communities also exist online (like here.)
Volunteering opinions is worthless.
Helping others should be done F2F.
Being helpful online is a way of feeling good without ever getting dirty hands. It's hardly selfless or giving.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:48 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
When we help those in need, the gratitude we receive empowers our own sense of self-sufficiency.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
When we help those in need, the gratitude we receive empowers our own sense of self-sufficiency.
Seriously? I just answer a few questions.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:07 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Seriously? I just answer a few questions.

So do you have those feelings after typing the answers? If you don't feel it, you're not helping

Old 02-04-2018, 04:49 PM

23,307 posts, read 18,852,325 times
What motivates someone to post on C-D probably ranges across the spectrum from boredom prevention all the way to stirring up anthills with a virtual stick and hate speech (only if our excellent mods weren't volunteering to do their jobs that is ).

Don't know if I'd call being active here "volunteering" with a capital V. But then I don't track of such things. Reading and posting here seems to be a give and take; learning, pondering, and teaching. Many people volunteer because the credit they get from it matters to them. There are those who keep notes of the hours, the plaques, the kudos, the public recognition, some sort of value they expect in return. Maybe you could include those little reputation clicks C-D provides--

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-04-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 09:38 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I guess you can call it what you want!
I had always considered going online to give opinions about different matters as more of a hobby...or a pleasurable pass time....(I'd be great if those opinions helped someone).

Volunteering seems more to me something that you may not necessarily want to really do, but you do it because it's helping someone else who can't afford to pay money for much needed help.
It's more hands-on...and more for them than you.
It's the giving of your time and compassion to help others..... and money don't figure into that!
what you're doing....well....I guess you can call it what you want.

Last edited by purehuman; 02-05-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy