Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Obviously many point to just how big the universe is as to why there has to be some life out there other than on Earth. My question is, for the sake of argument, let's say we just happened to be extremely lucky, and in all of the Universe only Earth has or will ever have life? How would you feel about it? Depressing knowing we are all there is, or positive thinking of how incredibly lucky we are?
It would not matter to me at all. How would it possibly affect you unless you are someone who thinks about this kind of hypothetical stuff all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:34 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
So many life forms on this planet and only one has the mental capacity to think about this stuff. There may be life all over the universe but none of it any smarter than the creatures we keep in zoos.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:00 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I would say that the guy/gal/thing that runs the joint is an idiot.
Funny, I'd most likely feel very glad to be on the one unique spot that did develop life. Anywhere else is probably pretty boring.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:22 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Who really cares?

What is TRULY important is that GEICO can save you %15 on auto insurance!

Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Obviously many point to just how big the universe is as to why there has to be some life out there other than on Earth. My question is, for the sake of argument, let's say we just happened to be extremely lucky, and in all of the Universe only Earth has or will ever have life? How would you feel about it? Depressing knowing we are all there is, or positive thinking of how incredibly lucky we are?
Why are people invested in finding out, what's in it for them?

Why is the scientism community raging against the evidence that the universe is extremely fine tuned for life.?

Why are they threatened?

Old 03-06-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The point is moot.

When Nobel Prize-winners Crick and Watson discovered DNA in 1953, they knew instantly that life did not develop on Earth. Research in the 1970s and 1980s drove the point home. It's an accepted fact that life did not originate on Earth, since it would be impossible for proteins to have synthesized and form the basic chains that make up DNA between the time conditions on Earth would have permitted that to happen and the time early life forms first appeared.

The only question now is whether life originated in our own Solar System or in another.

That question can only be answered after detailed geophysical surveys of Mars and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn.

The simple fact of the matter is that the formation of G-class and K-class stars always results in the formation of terrestrial planets, like Venus, Earth and Mars. There are some 10,000 G-class and K-class stars within 50 Light Years of Earth.

Why aren't scientists looking at them?

I don't know, since I'm not in charge of scientists, but if I would be, Hubble and the soon-to-be-launched replacement for Hubble would be conducting a systematic survey of those 10,000 solar systems, instead of wasting time and money staring at Black Holes in other galaxies.
The problem of abiogenesis occurring naturally on earth is not solved with panspermia, all that does is move the goal posts off planet. The problem remains.
And if life is detected beyond earth it doesnt solve the riddle either.

But solving the riddle isn't the point is it?
The point is to try to prove religion wrong.
And you think the general population ,with 95% believing in a deity, should foot the bill for this atheistic scientism with its scientific pretensions.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Thankfully it is not true but if it was:

I think humans are a bunch of screw ups and we are destroying what we have. I wouldn't feel anything as I think there are too many idiots coexisting on this planet and nothing will change it.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Thankfully it is not true but if it was:

I think humans are a bunch of screw ups and we are destroying what we have. I wouldn't feel anything as I think there are too many idiots coexisting on this planet and nothing will change it.
If aliens arrived and tasted like shrimp cocktail, would it be ethical to eat them.?

Old 03-06-2018, 06:51 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
If that were true... why would anyone ever behave?.... No regrets, no laws and do whatever you want...

No eternal consequences right?

Good luck with that
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
People don't need eternal consequences to behave correctly. Some of the nicest, gentlest, most caring people I know are atheists or at the very least don't hold to the traditional Christian God.
True ^^^

I can behave on my own without a quite scary invisible man from above telling me what to do . I have BEEN behaving happily for years like this . Volunteering , helping random people . Trying to do better everyday. trying to better myself , be a good friend . I could go on ,but these are things I work on everyday . I think there is a spirit world but not like in the Bible .

Christianity ran me off due to the behavior of alot of the people who profess to be so devout actually . They are many times straight out mean and judgemental of many and thats not what I want to be . It's not right.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:53 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
LOL

True ^^^

I can behave on my own without a quite scary invisible man from above telling me what to do . I have BEEN behaving happily for years like this . Volunteering , helping random people . Trying to do better everyday. trying to better myself , be a good friend . I could go on ,but these are things I work on everyday . I think there is a spirit world but not like in the Bible .

Christianity ran me off due to the behavior of alot of the people who profess to be so devout actually . They are many times straight out mean and judgemental of many and thats not what I want to be . It's not right.
Sadly you have some good points. One thing I do have as a Christian is forgiveness. God does love us and through his Son we can be forgiven. God loves and wants the Atheists of the World to accept his gift also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy