Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times

Advertisements

I routinely go out at night, probably every other day after dark. I take evening naps.
I go to supermarket for groceries around 12-1am (there are still lines though....)
Sometimes me and my wife go out for dinner at around 2am. Not worried about crime since its pretty safe where we live and people are still up and about at night, although it is a lot quieter and less crowded compared to day time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 04:56 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Right guys. I'm not elderly myself, but there's nothing I do at night that I can't do during the day. I don't drink/smoke, dance, party, go to clubs, bars, lounges, etc.
I don't do any of those things except smoking, but I'm not sure what that has to do with night time... and I can't do much during the day because I'm AT WORK. Not everyone works 9-5, and especially in the winter, I never get home before dark (usually off between 7-9pm). And I'm not a morning person, so I just save all of my errands for those later hours. It's great because there's no traffic, and most of the stores are much emptier after ~10pm.

When I do get home before dark, it actually feels weird - like being home during a school day when you're a kid, lol. Usually I end up just sitting around the house until the sun goes down, and then I'll go do my errands. This includes walking the dog, which I find much more peaceful and pleasant to do at night.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Nothing good happens after midnight.
Funny how your screen name leads into that... but I've always thought this was a stupid saying! Plenty of good things happens after midnight, including those which involve the folks who work hard to keep us serviced (hospital & restaurant workers, caregivers, first responders, parents, etc). I'm out after midnight all the time, just running errands or walking my dog, and rarely see anyone else getting into trouble. We all keep different hours, especially in a bigger city.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:14 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm not talking about due to anxiety, fear, etc.

Overall in my adult life when I was old enough to drive and/or had my own car, I think that compared to other people, I hardly am out when it's dark. I just like getting things done in the morning/day and am back (usually way) before it's dark, so I can relax at home. I can not be out in the dark for a couple of months. But if I had a long, fun day somewhere and it gets dark while I'm still out, that's no problem, but kind of rare still.

How about you?
I've noticed that there are two different demographic groups who are out early in the morning compared to those who wait around until evening. The morning people tend to be no nonsense types who like to get things done efficiently and quickly. The people out late in the evenings tend to be noisier, rowdier, generally more trifling (the type of people who block store aisles with their shopping carts) and don't seem to have their acts together as much as people who like to get things done early in the mornings.

I realize this is a big generalization and I'm sure there are probably lots of notable exceptions, but it's my hypothesis of a trend if you were to average out the two groups based on what I've personally observed. There is also a factor of age, where teenagers and young adults (again with some exceptions) tend to be night owls but don't like the morning.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:23 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
Don't like being out of the house after sunset, always like to be ready for bed by 830 every night. Usually I like to do everything early to get it over with and out of the way. Wake early and go to bed early.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't do any of those things except smoking, but I'm not sure what that has to do with night time... and I can't do much during the day because I'm AT WORK. Not everyone works 9-5, and especially in the winter, I never get home before dark (usually off between 7-9pm). And I'm not a morning person, so I just save all of my errands for those later hours. It's great because there's no traffic, and most of the stores are much emptier after ~10pm.

When I do get home before dark, it actually feels weird - like being home during a school day when you're a kid, lol. Usually I end up just sitting around the house until the sun goes down, and then I'll go do my errands. This includes walking the dog, which I find much more peaceful and pleasant to do at night.

Oh, I do have to say my best Target shopping has been late at night

Old 09-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I've noticed that there are two different demographic groups who are out early in the morning compared to those who wait around until evening. The morning people tend to be no nonsense types who like to get things done efficiently and quickly. The people out late in the evenings tend to be noisier, rowdier, generally more trifling (the type of people who block store aisles with their shopping carts) and don't seem to have their acts together as much as people who like to get things done early in the mornings.

I realize this is a big generalization and I'm sure there are probably lots of notable exceptions, but it's my hypothesis of a trend if you were to average out the two groups based on what I've personally observed. There is also a factor of age, where teenagers and young adults (again with some exceptions) tend to be night owls but don't like the morning.
Yes, definitely a big generalization! I'm in my 40's, and still haven't magically morphed into a "morning person" - my 70 year-old mother is also a night owl, so I guess it's genetic in my case. I also haven't noticed what you said, in fact the late-night shoppers seem to be more in & out "get 'er done" types. I suppose for most people, being at the store after midnight means they have a GOOD reason to be there. Of course there are exceptions, but I have a hard time agreeing with your statements.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:50 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
During the summer, it's often too hot to enjoy the convertible. I find myself pulling it out of the garage at 10 or 11 at night and driving around country roads for an hour or two, looking out for wildlife and pedestrians, enjoying the cool air. It puts a whole new perspective on life.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:17 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I rarely go out at night anymore and if I do I can't wait to get home. It seems a million years ago that I would stay out till 4 or 5 a.m. We'd go to the disco on Long Island (this was the late 70's), then the diner. Sometimes I wouldn't get home till the sun was coming up. We would leave to go out at 9 p.m., now I'm in my nightgown and getting ready for bed by 9 p.m.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
When I was young, we were out at night all the time. Even as kids, I loved playing at night. When I and friends got our licenses and our own cars, we would often go just riding around, stopping at our local Steak n Shake, for a little while, and then circle around our town again.

Now, like Coldjensens, work and age kind of squelches that. When I'm getting up at 5:30, I'm generally crashing between 9 and 10.

Once in awhile, my husband and I will go to a concert. We usually take the day of the concert off from work (say it's on a Friday) so that we can sleep in, so we can last into the night. LOL

But say we go camping for a week. It's one of my greatest pleasures to sit around a campfire and have quiet talks with my husband until late into the evening. Or, if family comes out with us, sitting around the fire and talking and laughing, and maybe drinking some peach or peppermint schnapps. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy