Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 03:39 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wise View Post
This is a tricking question because morality is highly subjective.
It's not so subjective (or 'tricky') when it comes to murder; think in terms of the categorical imperative (Kant) relative to the metaphysics of morality. Are you willing to be on both sides of the equation, so to speak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniss View Post
Do you think even if others have it out against you, killing others is always wrong?
In terms of motivation for murder (relative to the aforementioned), what if everyone believed it was 'morally acceptable' to kill someone (yet alone a group of people), simply based in re: one's thoughts 'they' have it out against you? What happens when someone believes you have it out for them (whatever that means i.e. thoughts are not measurable) whereas you become the hunted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 11:16 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
We have always had x group against y group, but no matter how bad they may be, do you think any group that kills others regardless of why is in the wrong? A perfect example would be the Nazis and Jews. Not that I am saying I agree with them, but for the sake of argument, say what Hitler and the Nazi's said about Jews was 110% accurate, would it have made the Holocaust anymore okay?
Nothing can be 110%. Your question is foolish, and I suspect you are looking for a reason to discount the horror of the Holocaust. Perhaps you are also interested in a possible justification of slavery as well?

No entire race of people, religious adherents or other large group of whatever category is all bad, or all good. And who made Hitler, or you, the judge over all mankind, anyway?

Old 03-27-2021, 04:14 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
We have always had x group against y group, but no matter how bad they may be, do you think any group that kills others regardless of why is in the wrong? A perfect example would be the Nazis and Jews. Not that I am saying I agree with them, but for the sake of argument, say what Hitler and the Nazi's said about Jews was 110% accurate, would it have made the Holocaust anymore okay?
No,

Racism never justifies genocide.

Ever.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
OK. Several million armed, trained and battle-ready Chinese arrive and say "We're going to take over the board rooms of your huge corporations now, and keep most of the obscene profits for ourselves. Those of you who resist will be shot. Go back to work, you work for us now." Do you join the underground and try to kill them?

Now imagine that you are Vietnamese, or Iraqi, or Palestinian.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
OK. Several million armed, trained and battle-ready Chinese arrive and say "We're going to take over the board rooms of your huge corporations now, and keep most of the obscene profits for ourselves. Those of you who resist will be shot. Go back to work, you work for us now." Do you join the underground and try to kill them?
There's a difference between war re: territory or leadership vs. genocide.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
There's a difference between war re: territory or leadership vs. genocide.
When I was ten, I was surprised, when we played war, that my playmates actually looked forward to being grown-ups and killing real people with real guns. I didn't. I resolved that I would;t, and largely by luck, I was never under orders to. I wouldn't have. Some people are cut from different cloth than others.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
When I was ten, I was surprised, when we played war, that my playmates actually looked forward to being grown-ups and killing real people with real guns. I didn't. I resolved that I would;t, and largely by luck, I was never under orders to. I wouldn't have. Some people are cut from different cloth than others.
I've never been in the military, but I was simply speaking to your post #14 i.e. there's a difference between a war re: defense of territory or leadership between countries vs. genocide. It's not in the same ballpark, 'morally' or otherwise.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I've never been in the military, but I was simply speaking to your post #14 i.e. there's a difference between a war re: defense of territory or leadership between countries vs. genocide. It's not in the same ballpark, 'morally' or otherwise.
I see your point, from the standpoint if the person pullling the trigger justihying the deed. But from the victim's perspective, it's something else. And nearly all victims nowadays are non.belligerents. Wars are won by technicians out of harm's way, remotely destroying the enemy's assets, and nobody cares who gets killed facelessly in the process.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:12 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
"Hitler, rightly or wrongly, saw the Jews as a very real internal threat to Germany's historic culture and its economic development. "

That's the saddest post on C-D.

I could not list all the German Jews who contributed to what is called "German" music, art, philosophy, science, mathematics, business, financial system, literature, legal system, and the like.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:11 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Depending on the situation, killing could be OK. I base my answer on the natural rights concept. We have an instinctive attitude to defend our lives to preserve it. That is part of our human nature.
However, the problem can be the "perception" some people have towards another individual or group. You may perceive a threat on your life from a person or a group. Can you act pre-emptively? That is a tough one to answer. In some cases the law or society may not allow it. That is when you have to make a call and be willing to accept the consequences for your actions.
Some people take the law in their own hands when they see law says that their hand are tied up because they cannot see the evidence you see. What to do?
Sometimes people had taken the law in their own hands, and the legal system has exonerated them because of the circumstances.
As far as your example of the Nazis, my point of view is that they were morally wrong in their entirety. They made the mistake many people make on an everyday basis to a lesser degree, stereotype. Hitler indoctrinated a nation into thinking that ALL Jews were the reason for their misery. Instead of addressing problems on a case by case basis, and through a fair legal system, he approved of the murder of so many innocent people, including children. Not only that, he had them suffer through experimentation, used them as lab rats, considered them inferior, and on and on. Do you think it was great to use the skin of Jews as lamp shades?
Actually, your premise is flawed in some ways. The comment that Hitler were accurate of what they thought of the Jews is a weak argument. First you have to state accurate in what? I ask because I believe there was more than one reason. One of them is because they considered themselves a superior race. Are you implying that it is possible that their Aryan superiority attitude could be 110% accurate? Not so in my opinion. Every race and culture has variations as compared to others. However, the general make-up of all human beings is the same. Nurture plays a role on our development, so some races may be better at something than others, but that could be because of the environment they faced to survive in life. However, another race is better in other ways because of what they face somewhere else.
I think I need to stop because I can go on and on.
You have a great day.
elamigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy