Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 04:53 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,466,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I never had an issue with any of your beliefs. My issue was with your response of why you couldn't respond thoroughly, which is because you were at work. This isn't a phone call or live chat. You don't have to respond in 5 minutes. It's just that you seem to be perfectly fine with using company time to voice your opinions but don't have the time to respond to questions. IMO a better response would be to say nothing or respond at a later time. You just seem really defensive. But oh well, sometimes our emotions are hard to judge on the internet so maybe I'm wrong.
I agree with you. I bailed on Durpie and that is a rude response. In all honesty WannabeCPA, my posts contain nothing of real substance (I mean come on, I have talked about my dad grounding me umpteen hundreds of times, my brother and I eating dog biscuits as kids, who is going to respond to that)….I sit here and basically entertain myself during my WFH experience by chatting about useless factoids thinking someone out there might think it's funny or maybe in a more serious moment, I can contribute to someone learning something. But I never imagined I would state something that would capture someone's attention, like Durpie asking me a question that would require a deep and thoughtful answer. I bailed because I was....honestly busy.....my boss had tagged with something....and it was more than anything so unexpected.

You have twice the amount of posts I do, and you have more experience with forum etiquette. There is nothing incorrect you have stated. I should have waited to answer (although really, with a question like that, and even giving him a well thought answer, he is going to ask more because it is only part of the story for both of us - I have been in many conversations with people about faith) and I didn't feel I was in a position to do him justice or do right by him with the limited time I have to devote to the forum.

I appreciate your input. I see I came across as rude to the extreme to attract your attention and I don't dispute that. I usually reserve my rudeness for trolls. Sorry Durpie….

Old 09-21-2020, 11:34 AM

47,010 posts, read 26,062,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Once an organism is done doing so, and the copies are then capable of doing the same, it hardly matters from a 'design' standpoint if the original organism's teeth rot or they get weak. Their biological purpose - the driver of selection - is complete.
Ayup. If teeth last long enough to keep you going until you leave behind viable offspring, they've worked well enough. And "well enough" is how evolution works.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:39 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,538,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I agree with you. I bailed on Durpie and that is a rude response. In all honesty WannabeCPA, my posts contain nothing of real substance (I mean come on, I have talked about my dad grounding me umpteen hundreds of times, my brother and I eating dog biscuits as kids, who is going to respond to that)….I sit here and basically entertain myself during my WFH experience by chatting about useless factoids thinking someone out there might think it's funny or maybe in a more serious moment, I can contribute to someone learning something. But I never imagined I would state something that would capture someone's attention, like Durpie asking me a question that would require a deep and thoughtful answer. I bailed because I was....honestly busy.....my boss had tagged with something....and it was more than anything so unexpected.

You have twice the amount of posts I do, and you have more experience with forum etiquette. There is nothing incorrect you have stated. I should have waited to answer (although really, with a question like that, and even giving him a well thought answer, he is going to ask more because it is only part of the story for both of us - I have been in many conversations with people about faith) and I didn't feel I was in a position to do him justice or do right by him with the limited time I have to devote to the forum.

I appreciate your input. I see I came across as rude to the extreme to attract your attention and I don't dispute that. I usually reserve my rudeness for trolls. Sorry Durpie….
Ok, I understand where you're coming from. I realize everyone has different expectations when using this site. Anywhere from light hearted banter to serious, in depth discussion, and of course everything in between. I think I'm between. Some people post once in a blue moon, others seem to be at their keyboard all waking hours. I rarely go on at work, mostly when I get home I scan the site to see if there's anything of interest. You seem to be on the side of lighter conversation, which is perfectly fine. Keep in mind it was only my opinion regarding your post, others may have felt nothing was wrong with your response. Maybe I'm the only one who felt that way, who knows. And of course I'm pretty sure I've rubbed some the wrong way on this forum on occasion as well. Anyways, I appreciate your response, and enjoy this forum on the occasion you do visit.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:44 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,466,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Ok, I understand where you're coming from. I realize everyone has different expectations when using this site. Anywhere from light hearted banter to serious, in depth discussion, and of course everything in between. I think I'm between. Some people post once in a blue moon, others seem to be at their keyboard all waking hours. I rarely go on at work, mostly when I get home I scan the site to see if there's anything of interest. You seem to be on the side of lighter conversation, which is perfectly fine. Keep in mind it was only my opinion regarding your post, others may have felt nothing was wrong with your response. Maybe I'm the only one who felt that way, who knows. And of course I'm pretty sure I've rubbed some the wrong way on this forum on occasion as well. Anyways, I appreciate your response, and enjoy this forum on the occasion you do visit.
I like you WannabeCPA, I actually looked forward to coming over here to see if we have seen eye to eye and you really are spot on about my approach and how it came across. You are the kind of person that can get others to stop and think. We all can use improvement in our conversations/communication and we can learn to take a step back to consider there is another person that has thoughts and views on their end. Being that I quick post, I will most likely not think and be unintentionally crass sometime again (I have an irresistible urge, however, to call out and confront trolls - some of these people are bullies), but I will remember this conversation. I enjoy a challenge. Iron sharpens iron so even in this small realm, there was something to learn.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:35 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,251,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ayup. If teeth last long enough to keep you going until you leave behind viable offspring, they've worked well enough. And "well enough" is how evolution works.
I think thats sort of the crux of the matter. "Well enough" Animals dont evolve to become the perfect example of what they could be, they evolve to be "good enough" to survive to the next generation

Old 09-22-2020, 03:26 PM

24,690 posts, read 9,510,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This is less about how human were designed, and more about how people choose to live their lives. It's not the creation, but the usage, control, maintenance, etc.

The ultimate in automobile engineering - for example, i.e. some high-end vehicle - won't matter if it's driven in a reckless and destructive way. You can take anything superior and ruin it. That doesn't change things and make it flawed to begin with.

Blame the chicken for how it lives its life, not the egg.
Excellent post and agreed.

We humans do some stupid stuff (obesity, smoking, drug use, etc) then we blame our bodies for not being perfect.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:19 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,927,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Lots of design problems:

1) The waste management system. What a joke.

2) Heat/cold sensitivities to climate.

3) Become physically uglier and uglier and weaker and weaker with age (what purpose does this serve)?

4) Teeth rot (and quickly!) if not artificially maintained.

5) Sun burns. Are you supposed to stay in the cave all day?

6) Girls able to procreate in childhood with no basis for support of the offspring.

7) Other - and there are a lot of "others"

Just a horrible design.
Sam Elliott gets sexier and ages like fine

Old 09-29-2020, 09:34 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,246,826 times
There is no such thing as being "designed" - there is only the process of natural selection. It has nothing to do with quality of life for an individual - it's all about quantity of offspring (who survive to reproduce themselves).

Unfortunately, the "Welfare Queen" who has 10 children by different fathers and relies on the taxpayer to fund her progeny, is far more "successful" in terms of natural selection than the childless professional couple who retire at age 50.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:07 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I believe Jesus designed us perfectly but that perfection was lost when Adam and Eve ate the fruit after the snake tempted them.We have been living with the consequences ever since.
Me, too.

I don't know if I believe in every detail of the story. I think when sin was introduced into the world, the genetic codes of every living thing on the planet degenerated, including our own. So we live in a fallen world. Humanity is trapped in a low state of consciousness and fall far short of their actual potential in so many different ways. Even psychologists understand this to some degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.