Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 07:08 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Life is an amazing adventure with endless possibilities. I feel sorry for those that think otherwise.
Agree. We were never promised a rose garden. It's what you make of what you have. Stop worrying about others. Sure there are people in this world that are stuck in some bad situations. But even many of them find happiness. It's out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 07:15 AM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
The four noble truths are dukkha, samudaya, nirodha, and marga. Roughly translated to suffering, the cause of suffering, the end of suffering, and the path that leads to the end of suffering.

All life is suffering. That's not pessimistic nor optimistic. It just is.
Suffering is caused by greed and desire, ignorance, and hatred.
The end of suffering is liberation, enlightenment, nirvana.
The path to liberation is the eightfold path.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:15 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
I see responses ranging from naturalism (we are animals) to cokeyed optimism to optimism to practical-ism to the Buddhist philosophy to pessimism. Being a pragmatist I favor the pessimism and pragmatic. Life is good for the well-to-do 10%. For the other 90% of us it's dog-eat-dog. It shouldn't be that way but as one responder said, "It is what it is." That's life.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:21 AM

765 posts, read 620,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I see responses ranging from naturalism (we are animals) to cokeyed optimism to optimism to practical-ism to the Buddhist philosophy to pessimism. Being a pragmatist I favor the pessimism and pragmatic. Life is good for the well-to-do 10%. For the other 90% of us it's dog-eat-dog. It shouldn't be that way but as one responder said, "It is what it is." That's life.
But, again, that's not immutable. To shrugh and go "that's life" is to give up, imo. People can change life! It doesn't have to be dog-eat-dog!

Old 10-14-2021, 09:14 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Quote:
Seriously, refer back to my comment. I am far from being in the "well-to-do 10%". My father worked in a rubber factory and never made over $10 an hour and came home filthy after each shift or double-shift he worked. It's amazing he hasn't died from black lung honestly. I grew up in a very modest home, but was fortunate in that I never went to bed hungry. Faced with no way to pay for college after High School, I enlisted in the military which in turn helped with college, which in turn helped with life.

I am doing well (not 10% well) but only because I took advantage of opportunities along the way. BTW, I believe you meant "cockeyed" optimism, as I have no idea what this "cokeyed" optimism that you speak of is. I am certainly an optimist, but far from foolish or cockeyed. You sir, have a case of cockeyed pessimism. Best to you...you'll need it.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:45 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
It's an existential catastrophe.
We don't make it.
You're born, you die, what happens in between is up to you (Nike).

Find meaning. Love people. Do good. Make things better.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:28 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
...Life is good for the well-to-do 10%. For the other 90% of us it's dog-eat-dog. ...
I don’t resent that the wealthy or the talented or the fortunate, might have better lives than mine. Life’s unfair. But most certainly I DO resent when others didactically inform me, that it is foolish to be unhappy, and that it’s incumbent on me to “stay positive” and to “be thankful” for being alive. My complaint isn’t that life is bad, but that complaining itself is viewed as being bad. To be irritable, irascible and pessimistic is, at least for me personally, a great release and a pleasure. But our society limits and corrals such pleasure, even more than it does all sorts of licentious indulgences.

Life is pretty much dog-eat-dog in any echelon, high or low. The only difference is in the contents of the diet.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:40 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
If all one sees in life is pain and misery you're bound to be a bitter, miserable person. Its not karma, its not fate or your "destiny" It's a choice. Some folk haven't figured it out. They're the ones complaining about their neighbors, or pets or house or relatives or jobs. The ironic thing is they're all complaining about things well within their control.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:59 PM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Life is good for the well-to-do 10%. For the other 90% of us it's dog-eat-dog. It shouldn't be that way but as one responder said, "It is what it is." That's life.
Being well-to-do has its own problems. You have to be guarded about your money and your relationships with people. You have to sacrifice many things in your life to earn and accumulate more money. Rich people can still have problems with drugs and depression.

So, it's not exactly easy street, although I agree it beats living in poverty and dirtiness. Can't really argue with that.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:14 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I don’t resent that the wealthy or the talented or the fortunate, might have better lives than mine. Life’s unfair. But most certainly I DO resent when others didactically inform me, that it is foolish to be unhappy, and that it’s incumbent on me to “stay positive” and to “be thankful” for being alive. My complaint isn’t that life is bad, but that complaining itself is viewed as being bad. To be irritable, irascible and pessimistic is, at least for me personally, a great release and a pleasure. But our society limits and corrals such pleasure, even more than it does all sorts of licentious indulgences.

Life is pretty much dog-eat-dog in any echelon, high or low. The only difference is in the contents of the diet.
It's all those "happiness gurus" (and the people who buy into their brand of BS) who peddle "if you are not happy it's your own fault and I will teach you how to be 100% happy, 100% of the time, for only $$$$ per workshop".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy