Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 03:17 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times

Advertisements

I'm a veteran and try to give to fellow vets. Most have gotten screwed by the gubbermint one way or another. (Camp Lejeune most recently) I try to weed out fakes and by posers by asking what the command "Dress right, dress." is for. (it's got nothing to do with a uniform.) but every veteran who's ever assembled in formation knows it. Works every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 03:41 PM

1,139 posts, read 617,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s not a question of your personal motto nor whether they buy alcohol/drugs with the money; no one is disputing many will - hence the point of various organizations, obviously. That said, I was speaking to a philosophical morality, as a whole, in which we have a responsibility to treat those who are mentally ill on our streets. Do you not agree? Neither you nor Lodestar specifically responded to my question i.e. the bigger picture is not about who throws a few bucks (or not) into a bucket or whether or not they donate hundreds-of-thousands to several organizations.

At the end of the day, it’s a simple question of dignity and human rights i.e. treating the homeless individual slouched/wrapped in a dirty blanket as a person worthy of a kindness, even if all it amounts to is a few words and buying them a sandwich.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that we tend to treat the homeless as less than human oftentimes.

A lot of us give them a wide berth. And most of us are so us to multiple panhandling that we automatically ignore them (the requests).

I have spoken to some homeless people. The ones that just approach and talk instead of just asking for $$$. I find that a lot of them do have some mental issues, but many of them are very personable and interesting.

I know plenty of people (like my brother) that would actually look down at most panhandlers... the same assumption that they should just "get a job".

I know that it's not fair to say that and assume laziness is the factor.

The homeless issue has blown up during Covid. I feel that there are so little people with power and money that actually care. Everybody is in their own little world and has no time to care about the most vulnerable in our society.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:27 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
How about this: Don't give money to ANY panhandlers. These "people" are locusts and want cash for their drug fix. Donate to non-profits.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:59 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I'm a veteran and try to give to fellow vets. Most have gotten screwed by the gubbermint one way or another. (Camp Lejeune most recently) I try to weed out fakes and by posers by asking what the command "Dress right, dress." is for. (it's got nothing to do with a uniform.) but every veteran who's ever assembled in formation knows it. Works every time.

Interesting. I always wonder if they are being truthful when they say"vet". Care to share what "dress right, dress" is?

Old 09-19-2022, 05:17 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
I had one right next to me in Walmart parking lot yesterday. I was going to tell her that if she could stand out there all day, then she can work at a job. Was also going to ask her why anyone should believe her. Do you know how many of these women scam people and go home to their house when the day is over? Not all, but enough to make everyone skeptical. Sorry. Get anfriggin job and some dignity for goodness sake.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:18 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Just curious what happens when they do not know the answer. Do you call them out on it or just walk away?

Old 09-19-2022, 09:19 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Around here, panhandlers are using dogs and cats, to make the people that earn their money, feel guilty about it.

Got 1 guy in Vista that has about 8 to 10 show dogs. (All Dachshunds.) They're fairly well kept. I've offered high grade dog food, but was declined.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:40 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I never suggested nor implied anything of the kind; rather, I specifically proposed the question of a philosophical morality relative to the treatment of the mentally ill on our streets as well as my previous point i.e. how political values and personal bias compromises the dignity (and rights) of homeless individuals, as a whole. Your statement provides a good example i.e. rather than intelligently discuss social science/philosophy (or acknowledge the homeless are people no better or worse than the rest of us, as a whole), you’d rather narcissistically dismiss/label me with a contemptuous term. Hence my point compassion vs. judgment.

Enjoy (yet another one-dimensional/restricted) thread in the Philosophy Forum. Have a great afternoon.
Aw, you missed the point.

You could acknowledge that I did, indeed, answer your question. I agreed with you. That issue is past discussing.

Any time you judge others' values here online you are guilty of what you distained in others. And your post that the OP's guilt was unhealthy was judgmental. And demeaning.

You can't see how ironic that is? How about treating her feeling-state with that dignity you champion?
Or do you know better what her mental state should be?

Really, Guy. You're smart. Look in your mirror now and then. Your halo's atilt.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:31 AM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
i give cash to panhandlers from my vehicle. Most of them are men. I just don't see many female panhandlers. I keep a stack of $10 bills and $20 bills in my car for handing out. I tithe a portion of my income every month, so it is part of my tithing.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:22 AM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Aw, you missed the point.

You could acknowledge that I did, indeed, answer your question. I agreed with you. That issue is past discu

Any time you judge others' values here online you are guilty of what you distained in others. And your post that the OP's guilt was unhealthy was judgmental. And demeaning.

You can't see how ironic that is? How about treating her feeling-state with that dignity you champion?
Or do you know better what her mental state should be?

Really, Guy. You're smart. Look in your mirror now and then. Your halo's atilt.
I’m not judging anyone; you appear to have the personal comments/judgments covered on your own. I was merely wanting to discuss philosophical concepts in a Philosophy Forum i.e. guilt, compassion, ethics, judgment - as a whole, not individually, and actually get an intelligent discussion going (for a change). Obviously, lol, it is impossible to do such here; while I’m trying to introduce concepts/ideas to discuss, you’re clearly hung-up on wanting to discuss me personally.

Again, enjoy. I’m out - and that’s precisely what you wanted, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy