Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2023, 07:53 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times

Advertisements

Everyone says find your passion in life. What happens when your one and only passion for a job /profession was based in the clouds thinking.

The only thing to light up fire was playing in the NHL or professional hockey as a defenseman for the NY Rangers playing in Madison Square Garden.

Nothing in life interest me to do as a job.

Anyone else have the same mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 11:41 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
How about a job as close to your passion as possible, such as something related? And/or build up your personal time with a hobby also as close to possible to your passion. Maybe also learn about a great many different areas and matters, and possibly come across something that is very interesting to you.

Perhaps you are still young. I've found as I have gotten older that I've developed more and more interests over time. None are what I do for work, but they keep life interesting.

Old 03-07-2023, 02:33 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Everyone says find your passion in life. What happens when your one and only passion for a job /profession was based in the clouds thinking.

The only thing to light up fire was playing in the NHL or professional hockey as a defenseman for the NY Rangers playing in Madison Square Garden.

I think most people aren't necessarily talking about a dream job when it comes to finding one's passion in life.

I suspect billions of people in the world do a job every single day that doesn't really interest them, and couldn't be considered their "passion", but many people have interests outside of their work that is their passion.

I know when I worked, the reason I was there was to support my outside activity and interests.

So, nope, I have never been of the same mindset where my passion was linked to a job or career, just give me a paycheck!

Old 03-07-2023, 03:30 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Quote:

I do. I don't think I have any passion about really anything. I feel like I'm just going through the daily motions in life.

Old 03-07-2023, 03:54 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
" based in the clouds thinking. "

1. well, that is why i am here on City-Data.
2. isn't just about everything online "in the cloud"?
3. yes, i will never be an Astronaut, but they are above the clouds.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:57 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
My jobs and my career were a means to an end, not necessarily my passion (however you define this!). My career was in the financial industry.

The work and environment were interesting, and I associated with very intelligent and creative people. I don't regret it at all.

BUT, the rewards were high, both financially and intellectually. The financial rewards allowed me to retire at an early age and travel globally. I turned "left" when entering the airplane and we stayed in "posh" hotels.

My primary interest was traveling in style before I got too old to either enjoy the trips or manage the travelling. Working in finance allowed me to indulge these interests.

I wasn't "passionate" about finance, but choosing this as a career facilitated my goals.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:15 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Find your passion
Quote:
If it’s based re: ‘in the clouds thinking’, you’re confusing fantasy with passion; you’re not being realistic or asking yourself the questions which need to be asked. Obviously, it can’t make you happy if it’s not part of your life or it’s something you can’t achieve/do.

That said, most folks have more than one passion; more often than not, at least one involves relationships/friendships/family as well.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:05 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
I was always accused of having my head in the clouds or above the clouds. Sometimes your passion can be both.
The goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xcKYNghd08
The role model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tid44iy6Rjs
The shoulders of giants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-pbGAts_Fg

I loved having my head above the clouds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy