Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:22 AM

6 posts, read 8,337 times

Advertisements

I own a dental supply business based in Minnesota. I wanted to relocate the business to Phoenix and was looking for office space and a house in Phoenix when the boycott business started up. I am concerned that if I move the business to Phoenix that the boycott will negatively impact sales. Since the boycott I have also considered relocating to San Diego. The San Diego area has an added bonus of having more direct flights to Asia where my business has been expanding. However I grew up in Arizona and went to Arizona State. And I would like to return there. Because of the boycott my wife and I have made a tenative but not a final decision on San Diego. However I really would prefer Phoenix, but I am worried about the boycott. It will be some time until I actually implement the plan because I will have to travel to San Diego to look at office space and a house and there is a lot that will go into moving the business. So there is time to make a final decision on Phoenix or San Diego. What I am on here to ascertain is does anyone have any idea how the boycott is impacting business in Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:11 AM

219 posts, read 764,283 times
If You are relying to the mainstream media You are being mislead. Taxes and regulations are driving business out of Ca. The boycott is a fiction. Welcome to Arizona.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:19 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
I wasn't aware of the boycott, until I googled after reading your post. Sadly, the state of AZ has been misguided by bigotry for decades. It is one of the biggest factors for our leaving the state in '90. There's a lot nice about AZ, and were it not for the bigots I would consider returning, but not yet.

I don't know what your business is, but for myself, I wouldn't want to set up my new life in an environment of hostility. Hispanics, Africans, and Asians have contributed greatly to the fiber of American culture, and I would not want to live in a world where their cultures were not welcome.

In General, the US is racially biased. It's a big part of the karma we must work off if we are to progress, but I fear that will be a long way off. Still, there are other places that are not so openly hostile.

Perhaps your answer lies where all answers are -- in your conscience. Meditate on the situation you face, ask your question there, and wait for that still, small voice to guide you. It always works for me.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Did you change your mind?

"Thanks for the help everyone. I talked more about it with my wife today and we decided to go to San Diego. As of right NOW the boycott might not be terrible, but I can see it getting bigger in the future if this issue becomes more divisive. You also brought up some other good factors about positive attributes of San Diego that I really didn't think of before."

Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I wasn't aware of the boycott, until I googled after reading your post. Sadly, the state of AZ has been misguided by bigotry for decades. It is one of the biggest factors for our leaving the state in '90. There's a lot nice about AZ, and were it not for the bigots I would consider returning, but not yet.

I don't know what your business is, but for myself, I wouldn't want to set up my new life in an environment of hostility. Hispanics, Africans, and Asians have contributed greatly to the fiber of American culture, and I would not want to live in a world where their cultures were not welcome.

In General, the US is racially biased. It's a big part of the karma we must work off if we are to progress, but I fear that will be a long way off. Still, there are other places that are not so openly hostile.

Perhaps your answer lies where all answers are -- in your conscience. Meditate on the situation you face, ask your question there, and wait for that still, small voice to guide you. It always works for me.
What a load of nonsense .

Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post

"Thanks for the help everyone. I talked more about it with my wife today and we decided to go to San Diego. As of right NOW the boycott might not be terrible, but I can see it getting bigger in the future if this issue becomes more divisive. You also brought up some other good factors about positive attributes of San Diego that I really didn't think of before."
Let's see . Higher cost of living , higher property taxes , more restrictive environmental regulations , higher costs for utilities , gasoline , state near bankruptcy , etc.
Yeah , I can see where that was a wise decision . Good luck . You're going to need it .

Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Also, there are a large number of people "buycotting" Arizona--consciously doing business with Arizona to show support for the law--that makes the boycott ineffective.
Well, it's ineffective because it's such a tiny number of people to begin with. It's more of a way to get press time than to actually do "harm" to Arizona.
Think about this: the majority of America supports the law. So, in the end, the buycotters are likely spending more than the boycotters are taking away.
I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post

No my mind has not yet changed. But we have only made a tenative decision. All options are still on the table.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
In my experience, Arizona has the least amount of racism of all the places I have lived. I would take the post quoted below with a huge grain of salt.

Quote:

Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Does anyone have any experiences with the boycott either hurting or helping a business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: