Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 03:29 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
We are getting ready to visit PHX next week and hubby will be working out at Sky Harbor. I saw a townhouse complex named Papago Point (48th/McDowell) and was wondering if that is an okay area? It appears to be quite convenient to the airport. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 06:04 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
You may want to live a little farther away than that, the area around the airport where all the freeways come together has the worst air pollution in the valley.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
Hello everyone,
We are getting ready to visit PHX next week and hubby will be working out at Sky Harbor. I saw a townhouse complex named Papago Point (48th/McDowell) and was wondering if that is an okay area? It appears to be quite convenient to the airport. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know that specific complex. The area you describe is transitional. It's on the border between some not-so-great areas and Arcadia, which is very nice. You'll have to look carefully at the specific complex in order to assess your comfort level. If that complex doesn't work out, here are some other areas near the airport:

-- Washington and Van Buren Streets from 44th St. east into Tempe -- lots of nice, new, upscale apartment complexes along the light rail line under construction.

-- Downtown Tempe -- spiffy new condos and townhouses, although somewhat pricier than housing on McDowell, Washington, or Van Buren

-- Arcadia -- neighborhood on east side of Phoenix as you go north along 44th St. from the airport. Once you get north of Thomas, you'll encounter good apartment and condo complexes along 44th St., 40th St., 36th St., 32nd St., Osborn, Indian School, Campbell, and Camelback

-- South Mountain -- Area near 48th St. and Baseline near Pointe South Mountain resort

Old 06-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
I don't know that specific complex. The area you describe is transitional. It's on the border between some not-so-great areas and Arcadia, which is very nice. You'll have to look carefully at the specific complex in order to assess your comfort level. If that complex doesn't work out, here are some other areas near the airport:

-- Washington and Van Buren Streets from 44th St. east into Tempe -- lots of nice, new, upscale apartment complexes along the light rail line under construction.

-- Downtown Tempe -- spiffy new condos and townhouses, although somewhat pricier than housing on McDowell, Washington, or Van Buren

-- Arcadia -- neighborhood on east side of Phoenix as you go north along 44th St. from the airport. Once you get north of Thomas, you'll encounter good apartment and condo complexes along 44th St., 40th St., 36th St., 32nd St., Osborn, Indian School, Campbell, and Camelback

-- South Mountain -- Area near 48th St. and Baseline near Pointe South Mountain resort

The townhouses seem to range from about $260,000s the low $300,000s. Does that seem like a lot for that area? The photos seem nice, but that could be misleading.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I know a lot about this area you are looking at. The location within the valley looks really good when all you have to go by is a map in front of you. 48th and McDowell is right next to Papago Park, Papago Park golf course, the airport, Tempe, not too far from the Arcadia area and Old Town Scottsdale, and not far at all from downtown Phoenix. On the ground though, it is so-so. On the plus side, it is a unique neighborhood; there are a ton of locally owned restaurants, bars, stores, etc, in that area. It's right next to ON semiconductor, Phoenix Military Reserve, two major employers in the region. Papago Park, as I just mentioned, is right there. One mile away from the light rail line. On the down side, it is a socially declining area; a lot of illegal Mexicans driving around beat up cars in that neighborhood. "Anglos" (to stay p.c. here) are becoming the minority. I'm not saying don't move there, just take a hard look before jumping in. I've seen Papago Point; it's nothing to brag about.

Recommendation: there are some really nice apartments just a little bit east of there, off 52nd st, which back right up the golf course. There's 2 gated condo complexes off Van Buren east of the 202. There are some decent middle of the road areas off Thomas between 44th st and the scottsdale border. I'd look at these first. There's also a really nice set of new apartments off Van Buren and 36th st, called Indigo Palms, but they're surrounded by some pretty bad areas.

You are in luck today! I happen to have pictures of the area on McDowell between 46th st and 52nd which I took a couple of weeks ago. Don't even bother asking why!

This is what McDowell rd looks like. That is Baja Red's Cantina and Jugheads-- both places I would never go into personally:

Indian Delhi Palace- pretty good Indian food.

McDowell Rd just east of 52nd st. This is probably one of the most scenic stretches of city surface roads in all of Phoenix:

Old 06-30-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I know a lot about this area you are looking at. The location within the valley looks really good when all you have to go by is a map in front of you. 48th and McDowell is right next to Papago Park, Papago Park golf course, the airport, Tempe, not too far from the Arcadia area and Old Town Scottsdale, and not far at all from downtown Phoenix. On the ground though, it is so-so. On the plus side, it is a unique neighborhood; there are a ton of locally owned restaurants, bars, stores, etc, in that area. It's right next to ON semiconductor, Phoenix Military Reserve, two major employers in the region. Papago Park, as I just mentioned, is right there. One mile away from the light rail line. On the down side, it is a socially declining area; a lot of illegal Mexicans driving around beat up cars in that neighborhood. "Anglos" (to stay p.c. here) are becoming the minority. I'm not saying don't move there, just take a hard look before jumping in. I've seen Papago Point; it's nothing to brag about.

Recommendation: there are some really nice apartments just a little bit east of there, off 52nd st, which back right up the golf course. There's 2 gated condo complexes off Van Buren east of the 202. There are some decent middle of the road areas off Thomas between 44th st and the scottsdale border. I'd look at these first. There's also a really nice set of new apartments off Van Buren and 36th st, called Indigo Palms, but they're surrounded by some pretty bad areas.

You are in luck today! I happen to have pictures of the area on McDowell between 46th st and 52nd which I took a couple of weeks ago. Don't even bother asking why!

This is what McDowell rd looks like. That is Baja Red's Cantina and Jugheads-- both places I would never go into personally:

Indian Delhi Palace- pretty good Indian food.

McDowell Rd just east of 52nd st. This is probably one of the most scenic stretches of city surface roads in all of Phoenix:

Thanks so much for the info and pics. I'm not sure I could convince hubby to rent an apartment. We HAVE to have a garage, which is another issue. Those are great pics!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:52 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
There are some really nice apartments that have attached and detached garages. There's one off of 44th st and and I think Thomas, right next to the Chinese Cultural Center. They are exactly like one I had up in PV (and actually just a bit nicer). 3 stories with a 2 car tandem garage (well, if you get a 2 or 3 bedroom). I know I paid about $1050 (4 yrs ago), these ones might be a few bucks more. Mine went condo though, but I haven't heard if these went that direction, too.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:08 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
There are some really nice apartments that have attached and detached garages. There's one off of 44th st and and I think Thomas, right next to the Chinese Cultural Center. They are exactly like one I had up in PV (and actually just a bit nicer). 3 stories with a 2 car tandem garage (well, if you get a 2 or 3 bedroom). I know I paid about $1050 (4 yrs ago), these ones might be a few bucks more. Mine went condo though, but I haven't heard if these went that direction, too.
That's right. There are nice apartments right by the Chinese Cultural Center and the 202 Freeway, but they're actually a mile-and-a-half south of Thomas. Revise my earlier recommendation to focus on 44th St. only if north of Thomas. There are some good complexes to the south of Thomas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: