Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times

Advertisements

I ran into a smiliar situation back in 2003. The realtor I had almost saw me as a nuisance because my max was only $130k. He kept trying to show me homes for more than $130k when I was really more comfortable closer to $100k. When he can sell homes to others for 3-4x that, what incentive does he really have to help me when he would get a smaller commission? I always felt like I was bugging him for very little service, so I just stopped bugging him. It worked out great for both of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 PM

278 posts, read 622,887 times
I always felt like I was bugging him for very little service, so I just stopped bugging him. It worked out great for both of us.

I love it that you said that...thanks!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM

18 posts, read 50,530 times
Sounds like it is time to "break up" with your agent as remember they are working for you...

We are also in a similar process with moving to Phoenix. Does anyone know if ALL the foreclosures are listed on the MLS site or should I be looking somewhere else. We are really interested in the Chandler/Gilbert area and are finding tons of shortsales but not many foreclosures. THanks.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:01 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7 View Post
...We have been to Phoenix 5 times to look at areas and find out a feel as to where we would like to settle. ...He [I assume your husband] found a home we both loved for 230k. When I asked our realtor to please send comps he did so right away but basically said that he knew this house was a flip, gave me exact numbers as to why if we offered any lower than 220k it would be a waste of our time.

I know he is being realistic, ... Also, about a week ago we told him our wish list of what we wanted in a home and he said there would be "conflict" as to what we want and what we wanted to spend. To me this is negative and unimaginative.

NOW here is my question; am I being unfair to him when I think he is being negative and unimaginative? He's probably right but it would be nice if he would just say, "hey, let's write up an offer, it's a starting point"

All opinions will be appreciated...I can take it if you think I'm the one being negative. Thanks in advance!
Just to give another perspective, have you discussed your concerns with him? Communication must go both ways to have an effective partnership. Did he meet with you all 5 times you were in town to look? If so, seems like he's put a lot of effort into assisting you.

To me, it sounds like he is giving advice that you acknowledge is probably right. Would you rather he tell you just what you want to hear and not the real situation? That would not be true to his fiduciary duty. Did he say he would not write an offer on the house you found at the price you want?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:23 PM

278 posts, read 622,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Just to give another perspective, have you discussed your concerns with him? Communication must go both ways to have an effective partnership. Did he meet with you all 5 times you were in town to look? If so, seems like he's put a lot of effort into assisting you.

To me, it sounds like he is giving advice that you acknowledge is probably right. Would you rather he tell you just what you want to hear and not the real situation? That would not be true to his fiduciary duty. Did he say he would not write an offer on the house you found at the price you want?
He did not say he would not write an offer. However, ususally it is me who communicates with him. He has not written or called us except for twice since march. I think he thought we were old, rich retirees who would buy something twice as expensive. You made a very good point though. Once I sort of just said "---- You're being negative!" and of course he said he was being realistic. We both, probably, were right.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
The name real estate companies now have certification programs for short sale and foreclosure specialties. Working with those properties in difficult, but not impossible. The agent you're currently working with probably doesn't want to be bothered with getting you a foreclosure, because it's harder and their commission is less. But there are many other qualified and knowledgable people who will. Hire a certified Realtor who has actual experience with foreclosures in the neighborhood you want to buy in. Look at Century 21, Coldwell Banker, Keller Williams, Prudential, etc. Ask for references and interview at least a few of the people they've acquired homes for. If the person can't be bothered with finding you the property you want to buy, they're not the person for you. You may have to do a little work to find the right Realtor, but s/he's out there. Take advantage of that person's knowledge. This is not a do-it-yourself market.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:03 AM

894 posts, read 2,202,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoty2001 View Post
Sounds like it is time to "break up" with your agent as remember they are working for you...

We are also in a similar process with moving to Phoenix. Does anyone know if ALL the foreclosures are listed on the MLS site or should I be looking somewhere else. We are really interested in the Chandler/Gilbert area and are finding tons of shortsales but not many foreclosures. THanks.
I am not sure if all of them are listed, but I think that they would be, since these houses are costing lenders money, so they are going to try and get rid of them as soon as they can. I can't see why they would not put them all up.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:42 AM

203 posts, read 491,446 times
I'm going to disagree with most people here, but ultimately we don't know your wish list. Having looked for a home for over a year before buying last December, there was one thing abundantly clear. If you want a move in ready upgraded home at a foreclosure bargain in a centrally located area of town...good luck..there will be lots of interest and usually multiple bids. The real bargains are on fixer uppers. The market here is misleading. Yes, there are great deals in suburbs way out and great deals on fixer uppers but if you want a highly upgraded home that is not trashed at a really low price...get ready to start bidding.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:10 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times
You've been at it for 6 months, and nothing. Time for a new realtor. Do your own diligence. I can do it from half way around the World; you can do it from South Dakota or where ever. Ziprealty is the best search site, allowing you to use school district searches, and zip code searches. It also allows you to filter out short sales. Money talks; BS walks. Interest rates are really low right now, but hardly anyone can qualify. Pay cash and go in angry.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:28 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Honestly, this is why everyone should get their own real estate license. Realtors want you to think they are unique and doing something rare but the reality is they just click boxes on an MLS search and drive to the houses. Anyone can do that. Just because they make a lot of money and wear suits, don't think they possess some extraordinary knowledge or skill

Realtors, like all salesman, want to close deals. The amount matters little to them. All salesman are about volume. The realtor doesn't want to waste his time offering a cheap price knowing he won't get an offer. Also realtors care about their reputation among other realtors. If they offer a low ball price, it ruins their credibility with other realtors.

My rule to dealing with salesman is to establish that you are the boss and in control. Salesman are trained to assume control. But the truth is you are in control because if you don't like your realtor, you can always get a new one whereas it's not so easy to replace you with another willing buyer so quickly. If the realtor won't allow you to control the process, get another one.

Also, I've had better success with young realtors who are establishing their reputations. The established ones tend to be more pompous and provide less service since they don't have to provide great service all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area