Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 PM

33 posts, read 67,110 times

Advertisements

wondering why a certain bank would not move on a listing price of a condo? We put in offer and they came back saying they would not move on price. Is this normal? Is it because it wa sonly listed for 20 days? or is it because its a certain bank. If we go higher, would you think they would change their mind? Opinions plz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Yes, banks usually will not move much on price within a month of the last price change. How far off their price were you? Was your price within the range of recent comparable sales? Are you offering cash? Cash and a fast close are good motivators for banks.

Do you have your own agent? If so, what does your agent recommend?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 PM

yes it is cash.. we took off the amount it would cost for a fridge and washer n dryer..that the other units included. do you think we should counter offer? Or is it pointless for now. We do have a realitor but always like more opinions. She feels we should pay what they ask.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
  • What is the value of the house, as opposed to the listed price?
  • What are the comps?
  • Are there others like it available?
  • How badly do you want the house?
  • How fast do you need to be in a property?
  • Is it a bargain at the listed price?
  • Are there likely to be more offers?
  • What is your alternative if you don't get this house?

You need to answer all those questions for yourself.

If you selected your Realtor properly then you'll have one who knows your needs and requirements; knows the market; knows how banks operate; knows the current market value of the house; and knows how to present offers and negotiate them. She is your best counsel. That's why you hired her.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 AM

1,641 posts, read 1,646,117 times
Candygirl, must of the banks are open to multiply offers and they accept the best and highest price. Usually they take a long time to make a desition but if you have a realtor it does not mind how much hard he or she will work for you when actually the agent/broker who represents the bank does not bother at all when comes to communicate and follow up in timely maner. You have to arm yourself with a lot of patience when comes to buy a foreclosure property.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
All great questions from Captain Bill that you need to consider.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Not sure if I want this one that bad...or I am just wanting it because my husband and bank are at a stalemate. Do you think we should put offers in on short sales while we continue to look at foreclosures? I don't want to wait months for a property to go through on a short sale ...but who knows maybe thats going to be the perfect one.
Being from canada makes it difficult, we have gone down once and will go down again within 2 weeks, if we say something we like.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candygirl39 View Post
Not sure if I want this one that bad...or I am just wanting it because my husband and bank are at a stalemate. Do you think we should put offers in on short sales while we continue to look at foreclosures? I don't want to wait months for a property to go through on a short sale ...but who knows maybe thats going to be the perfect one.
Being from canada makes it difficult, we have gone down once and will go down again within 2 weeks, if we say something we like.
I don't recommend putting in more than one offer at a time. If you put an offer in on two short sales and then back out of one when it's getting close to the trustee sale date, it may be too late for that seller to get another offer and may lose the home to foreclosure.

Whereas. had you not made the offer on that home, they would still have had it on the market and would have more of a chance to get a serious buyer.

Because buyers were doing that (making multiple offers), it has caused many sellers agents to require a non-refundable deposit to protect their sellers.

Also, if you elect to make more than one offer, that could be considered a material fact that the seller should know, and it should be disclosed in your offer that you are making multiple offers.

That may keep you and your agent from being sued for damages if the sellers home gets foreclosed and you did not disclose that you have made multiple offers.

You're asking many questions that you should be asking your Realtor. She is your best counsel in these situations. If she is not sure of the answer then she can get the answer from her broker, or will refer you to an attorney for legal advice.

You could get some bad advice from people here that do not understand the real estate laws, and that could cause you a lot of trouble later on.

You state that you don't want to wait months on short sales. Then don't look at short sales because it will take months, and your offer may be rejected after several months.

Your best bet is to make an offer on regular sales or bank owned sales. Again, you really need to get all this advice from your Realtor. That's what she's getting paid for.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Because buyers were doing that (making multiple offers), it has caused many sellers agents to require a non-refundable deposit to protect their sellers.
That happened with the house I bought. But the deposit was only $500, which is a trivial amount to forfeit in a real estate transaction. Worse yet (for the sellers), the deposit was refundable after 60 days. So I just had to kill the deal after 60 days for any reason to get my money back. Stupid, stupid listing agent. But we really loved the place and were willing to wait the six mos. it took for their bank to approve the short sale. There were a lot of shenanigans in this deal on the sellers' and listing agent's behalf. In fact, I still get their mail (no forwarding address) and the seller got a 1099 for the commission (kickback) she got from her listing agent.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
That happened with the house I bought. But the deposit was only $500, which is a trivial amount to forfeit in a real estate transaction. Worse yet (for the sellers), the deposit was refundable after 60 days. So I just had to kill the deal after 60 days for any reason to get my money back. Stupid, stupid listing agent. But we really loved the place and were willing to wait the six mos. it took for their bank to approve the short sale. There were a lot of shenanigans in this deal on the sellers' and listing agent's behalf. In fact, I still get their mail (no forwarding address) and the seller got a 1099 for the commission (kickback) she got from her listing agent.
That's strange. On a short sale, the banks do not allow the seller to gain any money on the transaction, not even a rebate of the commission. The net to the seller must say -0- in the field, or the bank won't approve the deal.

I'm not doubting your word, I'm just wondering how the bank let that slip through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area