Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 PM

65 posts, read 213,024 times

Advertisements

I am interested in this thread because I too will be looking for work once I get to the Phoenix metro area. I am retired and have a small retirement income but want to add to that. So I hope it isn't as glum as folks are saying, tho it isn't good anywhere in the US now, and won't be untill we change our basic ideas about and ways of handling the economy. But I think/hope there will be some work. I am not looking for work just in the areas I want or am trained for, I am willing to take any job so long as it is decent work that does not require alot of physical as I am an older lady. Has the OP considered working as a teacher in a small Christian school, or a private school or even a preschool or tutoring company? Also consider teaching English as a second language; and in adult classes as well.The pay may not be as good, but might be ok . I wish I had a teaching credential; I am qualified as a teaching assistant, and for other such things, but the teaching credential is the ticket.
Adreana

Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
I am interested in this thread because I too will be looking for work once I get to the Phoenix metro area. I am retired and have a small retirement income but want to add to that. So I hope it isn't as glum as folks are saying, tho it isn't good anywhere in the US now, and won't be untill we change our basic ideas about and ways of handling the economy. But I think/hope there will be some work. I am not looking for work just in the areas I want or am trained for, I am willing to take any job so long as it is decent work that does not require alot of physical as I am an older lady. Has the OP considered working as a teacher in a small Christian school, or a private school or even a preschool or tutoring company? Also consider teaching English as a second language; and in adult classes as well.The pay may not be as good, but might be ok . I wish I had a teaching credential; I am qualified as a teaching assistant, and for other such things, but the teaching credential is the ticket.
Adreana
There are a lot of resources on-line. Just keep applying, applying, applying. It's a lot of work but I have no doubt that something will come along sooner or later. The more work you put into it the quicker you'll have a job.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,727 times
Job hunting online has pretty much proved to be generally not worth it. I suggest driving around and talking to people in person. Thousands of people go on sites like Monster or craigslist and apply to every job they see in their field because it's easy and only takes a few seconds. This will not get you hired unless maybe you are the best of the best. Talk to businesses, schools, and whatever. NETWORK.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:21 PM

523 posts, read 937,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
No but it's good to earn money regardless. Beggars cannot be choosers in these times. That's a fact, Jack. Take whatever is there until better can be found. This isn't rocket science. I'm trying to sound like an a-hole but when a job is offered and turned down "because I don't want to drive that far" or "I don't wanna do that" the egg is on their face and theirs alone.

Tell this kat to look into security, as I've already stated. He'll bank at least $10 per hour and the hardest part of the job is the boredom.
I agree it's important to take whatever he can. Even the part time hours at the gas station would be better than nothing. Although it is a hard thing to swallow having those bills and that little income.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM

99 posts, read 259,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
Adreana
Thank you for your input. The person is really looking for any kind of work. Teaching jobs are virtually nil, and with the number of layoffs still going on, the competition for any openings is fierce. He told me he has been looking at private schools as well. Still no luck after 8 months.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
Job hunting online has pretty much proved to be generally not worth it. I suggest driving around and talking to people in person. Thousands of people go on sites like Monster or craigslist and apply to every job they see in their field because it's easy and only takes a few seconds. This will not get you hired unless maybe you are the best of the best. Talk to businesses, schools, and whatever. NETWORK.
My current job and the one prior were from on-line applications. I think that's where most businesses have gone/are going....

Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
Thank you for your input. The person is really looking for any kind of work. Teaching jobs are virtually nil, and with the number of layoffs still going on, the competition for any openings is fierce. He told me he has been looking at private schools as well. Still no luck after 8 months.
You are either lying, or your friend hasn't really been trying, or your friend is limiting himself way too much on what kind of job he would accept. One of the three.
If your friend applied for just 1% of the job openings placed on azcentral.com, there is a very, very good chance he would have a job before the end of the month. If not, I guarantee if he applied for 10% of them he would be hired, period. If he applied for 20% of them he would have multiple options.
Your friend has a bachelor's and has work experience. Finger Laker, Madmmac, Bondurant and myself all gave some direction where one can find work. As the saying goes: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." If your friend wants a job he needs to "drink".

Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
You are either lying, or your friend hasn't really been trying, or your friend is limiting himself way too much on what kind of job he would accept. One of the three.
If your friend applied for just 1% of the job openings placed on azcentral.com, there is a very, very good chance he would have a job before the end of the month. If not, I guarantee if he applied for 10% of them he would be hired, period. If he applied for 20% of them he would have multiple options.
Your friend has a bachelor's and has work experience. Finger Laker, Madmmac, Bondurant and myself all gave some direction where one can find work. As the saying goes: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." If your friend wants a job he needs to "drink".
I agree with this. If your "friend" is still limiting himself primarily or completely to teaching jobs, as your last post suggests, then he's not making looking for work a full time job.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM

99 posts, read 259,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I agree with this. If your "friend" is still limiting himself primarily or completely to teaching jobs, as your last post suggests, then he's not making looking for work a full time job.
I believe I said it earlier, that he is looking for ANY kind of work. The only thing he has been able to find is part time work at a gas station.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Then he is not working hard enough at it to find something, as you describe it, "worthwhile".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area