Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM

567 posts, read 787,948 times

Advertisements

I vote for I-10 if you're going alone. I-8 has long stretches of nothing but mountains. I wouldn't want to break down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
I vote for I-10 if you're going alone. I-8 has long stretches of nothing but mountains. I wouldn't want to break down there.
Realize there are long stretches on I-10 with really nothing. After Buckeye to Quartzite, there's about a 100 mile stretch which is about 1 1/2 hours of driving, depending on one's speed. And from Blythe to Indio is another 100 miles which is about another 1 1/2 hours of driving and another 100 miles of open desert. That's 3 hours of openness. I really don't think one gains anything except a longer drive and more traffic taking I-10 to get to San Diego.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:20 PM

48 posts, read 100,734 times
I am thinking of driving from PHX to SD via I8 at night.. leaving PHX at 7 PM.

Is there something I need to worry about? I have a fairly new SUV and will be driving with spouse and 4 kids.

I am concerned that someone mentioned that you can occasionally see people crossing from Mexico.. is this true?

Any pointers will be helpful!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
I've never seen anyone crossing from Mexico on I-8. Seems like a funny concern. My only issue with I-8 at night would be potential breakdowns. Cell service is weak, and sometimes you're on Mexican towers (you'll get a free text warning you of the ridiculous rates). Break down there, and it's an EXPENSIVE call for a you're truck! (Not to mention the cost of the tow). But driving a newer SUV, you probably wouldn't have an issue.

Only other concern would be driver fatigue. The mountain passes are steep and twisty. Bad place to be nodding off. I find the cash effects of caffeine worse than the benefit of temporary energy. I usually stick with snacks and conversation.

Aside from that, fill up in Gila Bend. That gives you a full tank before you hit the empty stretch of interstate, and means you can usually make it all the way to SD before filling up (meaning less of the expensive California gas). Bonus points if you're a military vet, you can fill up for dirt cheap at Coronado Naval Air Station and avoid expensive Cali gas all together!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antispam View Post
I am thinking of driving from PHX to SD via I8 at night.. leaving PHX at 7 PM.

Is there something I need to worry about? I have a fairly new SUV and will be driving with spouse and 4 kids.

I am concerned that someone mentioned that you can occasionally see people crossing from Mexico.. is this true?

Any pointers will be helpful!
You should be fine. If coming from the East valley you can cut through Maricopa and Mobile and save 30-45 minutes versus going through Casa Grande. There is one remote rest stop I would avoid near the border if you are worried (you can see the border fence from it). Maybe make bathroom stops in all of the towns instead to avoid any concerns. The road after El Centro in the hills gets a little curvy for 20 minutes, after that it's fine.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:56 AM

48 posts, read 100,734 times
Thanks for the details I am looking forward to the drive!

Old 01-16-2015, 02:37 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
I-8 does have checkpoints outside of San Diego. Most of the time they just wave you on but you do risk the occasional pain in the rear of having to pull off to the side for a car search. Otherwise I-8 all the way.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:20 AM

494 posts, read 501,696 times
I used to drive to San Diego and LA every week for over two years. I-8 is the only way to go. Watch out or cops once you cross into CA until you get to the Dunes. Beyond that once you get on west side of the mountains be careful again on the downside once you cross the bridge, Highway Patrol sits and waits. A radar detector would be useful.

Taking the 10 is a hassle and takes longer.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
Oh and like ASUfan said, if you're coming from east valley, go through Maricopa! There's a 2 lane road from Maricopa to Gila Bend (AZ 238), cuts the drive way shorter.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,874 times
Sept 2016

What is the status on Interstate 8, safe or not safe.

Heard the Feds put up signs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area