Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 11:43 AM

233 posts, read 258,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy coune View Post
Sept 2016

What is the status on Interstate 8, safe or not safe.

Heard the Feds put up signs
In reference to what? There's nothing unsafe about I-8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 12:21 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,804 times
Biggest problem on I-8 right now is the lane closures in CA. I did see some illegals crossing the freeway in front of me last month BTW, and border patrol was not far behind

Old 08-25-2016, 01:46 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
I-8 has no issues I'm aware of. Headed to Yuma and back that way myself in a couple of weeks.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I-8 has no issues I'm aware of. Headed to Yuma and back that way myself in a couple of weeks.
It is immediately after Yuma that the construction starts, FYI. You shouldn't have any problems

Old 08-26-2016, 01:01 PM

159 posts, read 397,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It is immediately after Yuma that the construction starts, FYI. You shouldn't have any problems
We had several trips out to SD and the Oceanside area this summer and the construction does slow things down a bit (only one lane @ 55 in these zones) and a few waits at Border Patrol checkpoints but it beats getting stuck on I5, which seemed to be backed up every trip we made. Just fuel up at Yuma, where gas is cheap and keep a few gallons of water in the car.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGotcha View Post
We had several trips out to SD and the Oceanside area this summer and the construction does slow things down a bit (only one lane @ 55 in these zones) and a few waits at Border Patrol checkpoints but it beats getting stuck on I5, which seemed to be backed up every trip we made. Just fuel up at Yuma, where gas is cheap and keep a few gallons of water in the car.
I spent almost an hour going 1 mile at the California border, of course I went on a holiday weekend which was a major part of the problem.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post

Yay, thanks! I was mainly just referring to the Border Patrol issues that some get concerned about, but it's good to know I won't be dealing with construction.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:52 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,457 times
To be honest - as stupid as it sounds - I actually take I 10 most of the time to San Diego/South Orange county frequently - even from here in Casa Grande! Doing it this weekend as a matter of fact!

Most of the time I am going to North County (Oceanside etc..) and sometimes like this weekend to San Clemente - going up and around adds between 30-60 minutes - less when going to SC - but I just enjoy the drive so much more - lots more civilization - and although I am not WORRIED about safety, but it is nice to know my tow bill will be less if something happens as most of the way you are closer to some sort of civilization.

But I am one of those strange people who does not mind driving - I don't even race too far above 75 in AZ or 65 in CA - the extra few minutes is no biggie. My wife just watches movies on her tablet and she is fine.

I know - wierd!

Old 08-26-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
To be honest - as stupid as it sounds - I actually take I 10 most of the time to San Diego/South Orange county frequently - even from here in Casa Grande! Doing it this weekend as a matter of fact!

Most of the time I am going to North County (Oceanside etc..) and sometimes like this weekend to San Clemente - going up and around adds between 30-60 minutes - less when going to SC - but I just enjoy the drive so much more - lots more civilization - and although I am not WORRIED about safety, but it is nice to know my tow bill will be less if something happens as most of the way you are closer to some sort of civilization.

But I am one of those strange people who does not mind driving - I don't even race too far above 75 in AZ or 65 in CA - the extra few minutes is no biggie. My wife just watches movies on her tablet and she is fine.

I know - wierd!
I go to South OC all the time to visit friends and family and yes, 10 is the way to go. As long as you are fine spending extra time on the freeway, taking the 10 to North SD County is certainly fine. I've done the alternate route a few times for various reasons and it definitely adds some time. Being in South Chandler it makes far more sense for me to go through Maricopa-Mobile-Gila Bend as there's little traffic and it's a quick shortcut. Taking the 10 would put me going through Central Phoenix (until the South Mountain FWY is completed). We've been flying when going home to OC recently, now that the kids are old enough and it's much nicer

Old 08-26-2016, 03:38 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,457 times
ASU - remember though - I am down in Casa Grande - so it DOES add a bit of time to get anywhere south of like Irvine - that is the break even point for us - same amount of time going either way. But from CG it really is not the BEST way to go - just my personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area