Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM

421 posts, read 1,074,923 times

Advertisements

Do you have a security system at home ? Please suggest some system and how much is the cost for it ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
There was one installed in the house when we moved in, but we never used it. When I pulled up the carpet 8 years ago, most of the wiring and sensors under the carpet went with it. The system is disconnected. I haven't missed it, even now living alone.

There are all sorts of different systems out there, costs vary depending on the setup, whether it is monitored, etc. If you are in a generally safe neighborhood, I don't think that's something you need to run out and buy. Perhaps talk to your neighbors, or look for signs in their yards to see if they have a system. If they don't have one, you may not need one either.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:05 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,239,537 times
There was an interesting thread about this a few years ago. If you would like to read it, it's here.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 PM

9,823 posts, read 11,218,696 times
I have a system in my homes and I find it worth the money. I also have camera's inside and out and I get pictures emailed to me.

In AZ, it's tough to run wires (no basement) so companies usually go wireless. Wireless technology has gotten so much better with smaller sensors and longer battery life.

What is happening with security systems is it is all about the monthly revenue. So the hardware costs them $20 a sensor and $100 for the "brains" / keypad. They give you a basic system for "free". You may need a few more sensors so basically you pay for all of it after buying 3 extra contact points that you need over the basic system for $100 each. If they give it to you "free" then you pay $35 a month for monitoring. The cheaper you get it per month the more you actually pay for the hardware.

You can go "local only" which means that you are not monitored but make sure you have an external siren. But then you will have to pay for the hardware. Some spots will monitor you for $15 a month (it only costs about $5-$6 for them assuming they subcontract it to a call center). Usually you want to switch the doors and an interior motion. There are several other sensors like audible glass break sensors, window switches, screens, fire protection, CO detectors etc. I bought things at cost so I went with cameras and the whole ball-of-wax. I'm not in the business but know people who are.

Re: Monitoring. You can go cellular, phone and now via the Internet.

Speaking of call centers....

YouTube - ‪ADG Security: We're Just a Continent Away!‬‏

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 06-27-2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,082,109 times
instead of feeling obligated to go out and get the latest and greatest security system and its monthly costs (multiply by 12 to $ee annual co$t, by the way), keep in mind the basics....

have a good deadbolt, be aware of your surroundings, know your neighbors and their cars, put dowels in the sliding glass door tracks, don't be flashy, keep an inventory of your valuables, think about a security/screen door, lights on timers when gone, get a safe box, come and go at all times of the day......

lots more basics.....

we've never had a fancy security system and have never been broken in to.....I know some feel it's a must-have and the ads will certainly make it seem that way

Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
instead of feeling obligated to go out and get the latest and greatest security system and its monthly costs (multiply by 12 to $ee annual co$t, by the way), keep in mind the basics....

have a good deadbolt, be aware of your surroundings, know your neighbors and their cars, put dowels in the sliding glass door tracks, don't be flashy, keep an inventory of your valuables, think about a security/screen door, lights on timers when gone, get a safe box, come and go at all times of the day......

lots more basics.....

we've never had a fancy security system and have never been broken in to.....I know some feel it's a must-have and the ads will certainly make it seem that way
A well designed security system is a deterrent and analogous to an insurance plan. I have insurance riders on my wife's jewelry that she wears everyday and she has never lost a piece in her life. It's the piece of mind over and above the benefits because I really don't think she will ever lose it. Some minds don't need it while other minds do. Some people's budgets think it is a small price to pay and others don't have the extra $$'s. So to each their own. But it isn't a foolish thing to do. I pay out lots of $$'s to make myself feel more comfortable on all kinds of topics.

In AZ, I pay $5.95 a month and have $450 into the security portion of the system but I get the widgets at cost. It's a lot more security than I need but I am not in AZ all the time. I spent even more to have some camera's that are motorized and I can view my home on my iPhone. Video is uploaded off site. It works like a champ!

I also have wireless thermostats as well as electronic wireless door locks. So I can control when I want a delivery by giving a temporary code and it emails me when that code is entered. I can also cool my place down before I arrive. Most people may not find the value but for $700, I do. See Schlage LiNK Home Automation . I LOVE home automation including the ability to turn on lights remotely over the internet. But I own a company related to this field so I see the value. Some people may pay $100K for a home automation and they won't bat an eye (Crestron for example).

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 06-28-2011 at 05:45 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 07:41 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times
Statistically there is little chance of being burglarized. It goes down more if you are in an established affluent sub-division and even more if you have a security system. If you live in such a place, then an alarm is more peace of mind than necessity.

I would buy a security door before an alarm. It provides protection and is functional in that you can open in the cooler weather and let fresh air in.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 AM

190 posts, read 450,302 times
I was getting a really good look at this house I put a contract in on - a short sale - only to suddenly feel rather a bit uneasy - as there was an obvious camera on the front of the house - near a drip edge at the roof line looking right back at me....the homes owners still live there. I wondered if I won the deal and the house - if I'd pull that sucker off of there - or just leave it - if it got left behind. Also there is a sign in the yard -- I see those everywhere. I grew up in Detroit - and we never took extra measures for safety and had no trouble...well during the 68 riots we had dowels in the slider... but then again I'm in the fifth decade of life and things perhaps have changed...dunno. But to me those signs in the yard sorta yell - I have valuables that I don't wish for you to steal. As they seem a norm - I wonder why they aren't just built into everyone's home in a subdivision - the houses are just an arm width's away - anyway - and another odd thing I see are homes that don't have front doors anymore - the entrances are on the side ... I have never ever seen this before - places near Desert Ridge do this and I don't know why? Is it for security? Is it that the security doors look unsightly for many?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Statistically there is little chance of being burglarized. It goes down more if you are in an established affluent sub-division and even more if you have a security system. If you live in such a place, then an alarm is more peace of mind than necessity.

I would buy a security door before an alarm. It provides protection and is functional in that you can open in the cooler weather and let fresh air in.
I have a security door and an alarm.

As luck would have it, I live next to a Surprise Police officer. With teen unemployment around 25%, there is plenty of theft and break-ins. In fact, there was a break in last week in our neighborhood. 4 teens got caught and they are watching another group of 4.

It seems that neighbors are getting their pool automatic cleaners stolen, pool pumps removed as well as break ins. Do you have a pool sign?? According to the police that's an advertisement to steal your cleaner. I was told by him that 80 pool cleaners were stolen last year in Surprise alone! He would know. Surprise is the 4th safest city in AZ.

I agree. Statistically I'm probably going to be just fine. But I love the fact that I can look at my home over the web. I view it like this: if I have enough $$'s to buy the elephant I better budget for the peanuts.

I will say this.... These teens are ABSOLUTE idiots for breaking in an AZ home. There are a lot of people that carry. I plan on doing so. If someone breaks into my home, I'm going to instanly shoot them.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM

97 posts, read 291,099 times
Be sure to put a padlock on your electrical main breaker box. Alarm companies don't always remember the battery back-up. Burglars know exactly how much time they have before to police arrive. I am still going to do the video thing and finally have a lead on an honest installer. I do like the idea of a cell phone or internet for notification. I am the first responder for a couple of neighbbors. I won't walk into a problem but can be a good witness. I am in cental Phoenix between an unlived-in feral kitty house on one side, and a den of thieves on the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area