Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,314,805 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I'm considering getting an ADT home security system. Do any of you recommend ADT or any other type of home system. What are the pros and cons. Any stories..positive or negative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:34 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,233,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Hi everyone

I'm considering getting an ADT home security system. Do any of you recommend ADT or any other type of home system. What are the pros and cons. Any stories..positive or negative
I used Monitronics in NY and TX and have ADT here in AZ. I found both companies to have top-notch central station monitoring.

As far as the alarm system itself goes, how good or bad it is depends upon what you actually have installed. IMO, a "front door, back door and motion detector system", like the systems they often advertise as free or almost free with a monitoring commitment, is more of a PITA to the homeowner than to a would-be burglar. There is little point to having your front door wired if there is easy access through an unprotected window.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I used Monitronics in NY and TX and have ADT here in AZ. I found both companies to have top-notch central station monitoring.

As far as the alarm system itself goes, how good or bad it is depends upon what you actually have installed. IMO, a "front door, back door and motion detector system", like the systems they often advertise as free or almost free with a monitoring commitment, is more of a PITA to the homeowner than to a would-be burglar. There is little point to having your front door wired if there is easy access through an unprotected window.
Thanks for the feedback. I spent a little time on their website looking at their different packages. I don't know about the past but all of their current packages secure the windows. The prices differ in regards to if you want fire and carbon monoxide monitoring. They also seem to have some gimics too. For example, they have this service called Cell Secure which means if your phone line goes down for whatever reason, your system will still contact ADT through a wireless cellular system. They also have these two way speakers in which you can communicate with someone from ADT in your house during a "crisis." We are basically interested in burglary, fire and CO monitoring. It costs about $500 to instal and $50 per month monitoring.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM

264 posts, read 1,597,118 times
Check to make sure Alarm One doesn't do the monitoring, we had an ADT system and were told Alarm One is the local monitoring company and they were AWFUL, the worst customer service you could imagine, 30 minutes on hold every time you called, couldn't get a straight answer, etc. Our system was an older one, so I can't comment on it, but the monitoring w/ Alarm One was terrible, just make sure you don't have to use them. We took ours out and went with one of the other companies that doesn't outsource the monitoring.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagirl View Post
Check to make sure Alarm One doesn't do the monitoring, we had an ADT system and were told Alarm One is the local monitoring company and they were AWFUL, the worst customer service you could imagine, 30 minutes on hold every time you called, couldn't get a straight answer, etc. Our system was an older one, so I can't comment on it, but the monitoring w/ Alarm One was terrible, just make sure you don't have to use them. We took ours out and went with one of the other companies that doesn't outsource the monitoring.
What company was that? How do you like their service? Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know these companies outsource the monitoring. Yeah, I would prefer to go with a company that does the monitoring themselves.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:38 PM

551 posts, read 2,727,711 times
Look for anyone on the PA (Protect America) system. They will install a full alarm system (all windows & outside doors) for free -- or rather the 36 month contract at roughly $30 per month, but no upfront costs.

ADT and Brinks will only install the basic system with 2 doors and a motion sensor for free. Adding all of your outside doors and windows could cost another $1000 upfront, in addition to the standard 36 month contract at roughly $30 per month.

Once your 36 month contract expires with PA, you can switch to a low cost monitoring system (roughly $10 per month), while keeping your security system. I'm not sure if you are able to switch monitoring companies with ADT or Brinks. Despite what ADT/Brinks will tell you, no personal home system connects directly to the police or sheriff. They all connect to a private call center, which contacts the police or sheriff on your behalf.

Also, keep in mind that if your house is not pre-wired for an alarm system, you will have to get a wireless system. Most of the sensors last for anywhere from 1 to 3 years, then require new batteries at ~$10 each! (usually battery style 123).

Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Look for anyone on the PA (Protect America) system. They will install a full alarm system (all windows & outside doors) for free -- or rather the 36 month contract at roughly $30 per month, but no upfront costs.

ADT and Brinks will only install the basic system with 2 doors and a motion sensor for free. Adding all of your outside doors and windows could cost another $1000 upfront, in addition to the standard 36 month contract at roughly $30 per month.

Once your 36 month contract expires with PA, you can switch to a low cost monitoring system (roughly $10 per month), while keeping your security system. I'm not sure if you are able to switch monitoring companies with ADT or Brinks. Despite what ADT/Brinks will tell you, no personal home system connects directly to the police or sheriff. They all connect to a private call center, which contacts the police or sheriff on your behalf.

Also, keep in mind that if your house is not pre-wired for an alarm system, you will have to get a wireless system. Most of the sensors last for anywhere from 1 to 3 years, then require new batteries at ~$10 each! (usually battery style 123).
The ADT site says the installation costs about $500 for the package I'm interested in. I wonder if that's just an estimate. I don't want to call them quoting the $499 installation and then they get to my house and claim I have to pay up another $1000.

Intruder Alarms & Expanded Security Systems | ADT Security Services

Old 06-27-2008, 04:44 PM

264 posts, read 1,597,118 times
We went w/ Protection One and are very happy with them. We had them in our old house as well. I think it was around $200 to install, 4 doors and a motion sensor. They said we really didn't need them on all the window as well b/c the motion detector would catch them, we could if we wanted to spend the extra money, but most crooks go through the den and would get caught by motion detector.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 PM

46 posts, read 139,731 times
Default mostly a scam

I hate to be a downer, but most monitoring systems are useless. they are sold by salesmen who work on commission, and have become hardly more than easy paychecks for the companies that provide the service and installations. The biggest difference between most of these companies and the burglars, is that you thank these guys after they rob you, that is, until something happens to your house and you realize how little protection you have, and how much you paid for it. A well trained dog, and good insurance is probably your best bet.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:28 PM

550 posts, read 1,128,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank c. View Post
I hate to be a downer, but most monitoring systems are useless. they are sold by salesmen who work on commission, and have become hardly more than easy paychecks for the companies that provide the service and installations. The biggest difference between most of these companies and the burglars, is that you thank these guys after they rob you, that is, until something happens to your house and you realize how little protection you have, and how much you paid for it. A well trained dog, and good insurance is probably your best bet.
I kind of agree with you. Those systems are not going to deter professional burglars. By the time the monitoring center contacts the police and the police arrives to your home, the burglars are long gone. The only ones it might deter are the neighboorhoods' teenagers. These systems can be a pain in the neck too with false alarms when you are not home. I checked ADT and Brinks monitoring prices. They are pretty high. We actually pay 18 bucks right now with ASG. When we move to our new house in Arizona I don't think we are going to put in a security system. No way we are going to pay 30 or 40 $ for monitoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area