Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times

Advertisements

Are there any posters on this forum that are African American that have moved from North Carolina to the Phoenix area? Just curious to see how they are adjusting to life in the "Valley of the Sun". I know that the African-American population is a little scarce in that part of the country. Contemplating possibly making a move to that area of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 01:18 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
Are there any posters on this forum that are African American that have moved from North Carolina to the Phoenix area? Just curious to see how they are adjusting to life in the "Valley of the Sun". I know that the African-American population is a little scarce in that part of the country. Contemplating possibly making a move to that area of the country.
LOL, you gotta watch out with titles like this as they attract the reverse racist claimers. Ok........now having said that, and being a black man from Detroit living in AZ for the past 2 years the short answer is Phoenix is a great place to live and raise a family. There are no pockets of Blacks, unless you consider certain over-all low income areas which do have a greter proportion of black residents. Many blacks here in the valley are transplants and are doing reasonably well for themselves hence having the opportunitiy and resources to relocate. We are pretty spread out. For a greater concentration of socially gathered blacks, church is where you want to be. Network, get involved and you'll soon make plenty of like minded friends.
Good Luck

Old 06-01-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
LOL, you gotta watch out with titles like this as they attract the reverse racist claimers. Ok........now having said that, and being a black man from Detroit living in AZ for the past 2 years the short answer is Phoenix is a great place to live and raise a family. There are no pockets of Blacks, unless you consider certain over-all low income areas which do have a greter proportion of black residents. Many blacks here in the valley are transplants and are doing reasonably well for themselves hence having the opportunitiy and resources to relocate. We are pretty spread out. For a greater concentration of socially gathered blacks, church is where you want to be. Network, get involved and you'll soon make plenty of like minded friends.
Good Luck
How is it for single people.....I am really thinking about relocating there. It's a great location. 5hrs from las Vegas/4hrs. from Los Angeles/San Diego..Doesnt get any better than that....I also hear that it 's really affordable as far as the housing market is concerned. thoughts?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,428 times
Quote:
How is it for single people.....I am really thinking about relocating there. It's a great location. 5hrs from las Vegas/4hrs. from Los Angeles/San Diego..Doesnt get any better than that....I also hear that it 's really affordable as far as the housing market is concerned. thoughts?
Its' great for single men, but the feedback I get from the laides is its not so great for single black women because of the limited amount of single black men.
So as a single black man, lets just say my dance card stays full. I'm having fun as I'm single by choice not by circumstance. I live downtown, in a highrise overlooking the city, have two good jobs, go to school full time, and I love it.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Its' great for single men, but the feedback I get from the laides is its not so great for single black women because of the limited amount of single black men.
So as a single black man, lets just say my dance card stays full. I'm having fun as I'm single by choice not by circumstance. I live downtown, in a highrise overlooking the city, have two good jobs, go to school full time, and I love it.
Correct. Dude, sounds like you're living it up. Keep grinding and having fun out there. I miss it but if I moved back I'd have slow my roll. But then again I have a girl out there so I'll leave the 'fun' to others.

Last edited by he's so hott; 06-01-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
The black women I met when I lived in PHX brought their husbands or boyfriends with them. So if you're coming in single be prepared as Trudrawg mentioned to meet brothers who have plenty of options if they're not married. Just watch out for the player, which is what you have to do in any city.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Which may explain in part the high numbers of Black women around here 'dating out'----------usually with White guys.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Which may explain in part the high numbers of Black women around here 'dating out'----------usually with White guys.

All the Black Women, but one, I know down here are married to White guys. At the same time all the Black Males, but one, are married to White women. If you come over here looking to only date someone that is African-American , whether you're male or female, the pickings are slim compared to NC. If you don't really care you will be alright. *White guy that lived in NC*

Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 AM

Default Phoenix is Up & Coming

I honestly think the reason that the African-American population in Phoenix is so low is that they think it is a 'barren wasteland".. They dont think of it as a large metropolis. I have been to the city on several occasions and think that it's a beautiful city and is full of potential.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
I honestly think the reason that the African-American population in Phoenix is so low is that they think it is a 'barren wasteland".. They dont think of it as a large metropolis. I have been to the city on several occasions and think that it's a beautiful city and is full of potential.
African Americans are not the only ones who think this way. I'm originally from LA and thought Phoenix was a small town because I used to come here occassionally when I was a kid growing up in LA and it was a small town back then. When I arrived here years later, it was much different and looked a lot like Los Angelas and Southern California.

Back to the topic, I have African American friends and they love it here. They moved here from the south and assumed their experience would be worse here because there doesn't exist the large Black populations that are found in places like Lousiana and Georgia. However, they soon learn that unlike their former states, there isn't the cultural racism they experienced back home. For example, interracial dating is not taboo here. They told me they don't get stares like they did in Atlanta or Birmingham and it's not a big deal here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area