Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
I would think meeting people is the same as anywhere else. If you are outgoing you will meet people everywhere. IF you are a hermit then you wont meet anyone.
True enough. You will find, unless your neighbors are recent transplants from the South or parts of the midwest, that they will not turn up on your doorstep with a pie or cookies and welcome you to the neighborhood. Like lots of other places, that's just not the style here. So, if you put yourself in places to meet people with whom you'll have things in common, you will succeed. Can't stay home and wait for them to show up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
We have a friend who moved last year from Chicago and she joined these groups called Meetups, which are different clubs of interest. I am sure you can find information on them, just be careful what pops up on the search, lol.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,820 times
Thanks all!!! I think you have confirmed what I assumed was the case about everyone being from somewhere else! We moved to our current area 14 years ago and everyone was born and raised here and it was tough making friends with people who have lived here for generations. We are looking forward to our new friends in Arizona!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:09 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
What city are you planning to move to out here? I ask that because cities like Tempe create great opportunities to meet people. Since most people here are from someplace else you already have much in common with perfect strangers! I have found, for the most part, people here to be warm and open to meeting new people. Of course your activity will play a great part in how quickly you assimilate. Good luck and welcome to AZ.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
maybe this link is a good idea
Meetups near Phoenix, Arizona - Meetup

Old 11-27-2011, 09:40 PM

26 posts, read 43,304 times
I moved here a year ago from the Northeast, because of my husband's work. Didn't know a soul. Didn't have kids in school. But I signed up for a course on desert yard care through Chandler's recreation department, and met a bunch of really nice folks that way. Most of them were from back east!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,820 times
Right now we are looking in the North Phoenix area. Phoenixmike11, great website. The wife already found some scrapbooking groups! thanks all and looking forward to contributing to the greater Phoenix area!

Old 11-28-2011, 02:48 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
True enough. You will find, unless your neighbors are recent transplants from the South or parts of the midwest, that they will not turn up on your doorstep with a pie or cookies and welcome you to the neighborhood. Like lots of other places, that's just not the style here. So, if you put yourself in places to meet people with whom you'll have things in common, you will succeed. Can't stay home and wait for them to show up!
I'm from the midwest and spent a good part of my life in the south, no one ever brought me cookies or pies.

Course, I don't take anyone cookies or pies either.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
The only challenge in Phoenix is getting into a social setting to meet people; the rest is easy.

No offense meant, but you are probably afraid of moving because, like most people back east, you have lived in Illinois (or MN, WI, IN, OH, MI, PA, NY, NJ, etc) for most, if not all, of your life. You still have the same friends you had 20 years ago, and maybe one or two of them fell out of your circle of friends for that entire time, because of relocations.

Out in Phoenix (and much of the west), people aren't nosy like they are back in the east. There are so many people who come and go, new faces aren't a novelty like they are back east. That, IMO, is the reason why people in Phoenix are blamed as being standoffish--because they aren't pressing their faces up to your windows the minute you move in.

The same reason is why some people find parts of the east so full of "cliques". People already have groups of friends, and they've been friends for years. Decades. Making friends with people like this is a process. It takes years. They're not looking for new friends because they already have all the friends they had 20 years ago.

If you can distance yourself from the Midwestern "never go anywhere" mindset, you'll be better off. Again, absolutely no offense meant. Just don't expect faces pressed against your windows.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 12,219 times
I am originally from Texas and have been living in the Chicago area for five years. My husband (from Chicago area) and I are moving to AZ to escape the treturous weather and loads of unfriendly people here. Therefore, I'm hoping the Chicago transplants and those similar are more inclusive in the Phoenix area than here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area