Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,555 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where to find good grass hay at a reasonable price in south Phoenix.
16$ dollars a bale is insane. I have a rescue horse and need to keep a hay net in front of him. I would like to feed him well without going broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Hay prices have gone nuts, I don't have a horse any more as of a few weeks ago, but the woman who boarded her for me had told me what was happening with prices. Can't help you with prices. Maybe some stable or breeder nearby who buys in bulk (a roadsider) would sell you some. Grass hay is not in season right now, it will get cheaper as summer approaches.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 PM

54 posts, read 107,538 times
How heavy are your bales there? There's a possibility we might relocate from the east coast and my hubby mentioned that west coast bales tender to be larger and heavier than ours? Our square bales are about 35-45 pounds? Is that what you're paying $16 a bale for?

Can you get tractor trailer loads shipped in from other places?

Just trying to get an idea of feeding costs compared with the east coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbrandon View Post
Does anyone know where to find good grass hay at a reasonable price in south Phoenix.
16$ dollars a bale is insane. I have a rescue horse and need to keep a hay net in front of him. I would like to feed him well without going broke.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM

No, our bales are rectangular, heavier than that, double that, more if you are lucky... Back when I used to buy hay, I saw a wide variation in how heavy/dense a bale was, but they were all larger and heavier than what you are buying. People who have enough horses and a covered place to keep it often buy it by the roadsider, which is cheaper per bale -- you can get 60-70 bales at a time that way. I suppose you could arrange for a whole truckload from somewhere else, but that's not cheap, either.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 PM

Thank God! I was worried that it was 16 a bale for our sized bales!

What is a roadsider. Someone that sells hay on the roadside? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term.

I also have heard that you don't feed a lot of concentrated feeds/grain down there? We do feed high fat low carb feed and supplements here in addition to hay but someone mentioned that isn't common there because of the heat it's not needed or recommended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
No, our bales are rectangular, heavier than that, double that, more if you are lucky... Back when I used to buy hay, I saw a wide variation in how heavy/dense a bale was, but they were all larger and heavier than what you are buying. People who have enough horses and a covered place to keep it often buy it by the roadsider, which is cheaper per bale -- you can get 60-70 bales at a time that way. I suppose you could arrange for a whole truckload from somewhere else, but that's not cheap, either.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 PM

A roadsider is a small load of hay bales in bulk.. I don't remember how many, around 60--70.

Concentrated feeds are used here in horses that are worked regularly and need the extra. Many get no grain at all, we used mostly just rolled barley or oats on horses that weren't working a lot, some Omolene on the horses that were getting ridden daily. Alfalfa is the most common hay here, and it generates a lot of heat as well, too, especially the early summer fresh cuts.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 AM

Is it possible to get grass hays there? If so, what types of grasses are they? Up here our guys just get first cut Timothy orchard mix in front of them 24 7. They definitely couldn't have alfalfa in front of them that long. And we have two that can't have any alf at all. Their feet heat up with even a little bit of it! And I remember getting a load of western alfalfa when our mare was in foal and it being even higher in heat factor than the stuff grown here. Although less flowery which was nice!

Thanks for any info. We have never lived anywhere but the east coast so this is all new for us. I do know that we have one horse that would do well to never see grass again! When someone here says lush pasture I simply hear "lame horse"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
A roadsider is a small load of hay bales in bulk.. I don't remember how many, around 60--70.

Concentrated feeds are used here in horses that are worked regularly and need the extra. Many get no grain at all, we used mostly just rolled barley or oats on horses that weren't working a lot, some Omolene on the horses that were getting ridden daily. Alfalfa is the most common hay here, and it generates a lot of heat as well, too, especially the early summer fresh cuts.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 AM

You can get grass hay here, (bermuda) it's harder to find in the winter. You will also see some that is alfalfa/bermuda mix. There are pelleted bermuda (grass) hay feeds, too. I used to get that to supplement my one mare's feed without adding too much protein/heat. I know some of the show barns here get timothy, as I see it by their stalls at the shows. I don't know where they get it from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area