Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:05 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
just had to mention that there are million dollar homes just west of 40th street and on the mountain south of the square :/

Yeah you still have to do a little tip toeing through the tulips though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrphymcgr34 View Post
My family has the oportunity to move to Phoenix from NJ. My husband would be working in the Greenway Rd. Post office. Is this a good area to live in? We are looking to move for economic reasons. Plus, I like the idea of swimming in my pool year round. This is a BIG decision for us. we have a 11 year old daughter and 13 year old son. We will be visiting the area first. Are there things to do here? We are used to being near shopping and restaurants. Thanks for any advice you have. Marlene
No, not a good area.

Move east! Greenway is fine, just go east. That would be an easy commute. Very nice area once you hit 85254 zip code. It is called Scottsdale, but is actually Phoenix.

Also, the taxes here are a joke compared with eastern or midwestern taxes, at least in terms of property tax. Income tax doesn't seem bad either, and the weather is nice. I am OK with hot weather, but it does irritate some people.

I love the winter climate. Unfortunately I am getting cold in the morning. But that's because it is just under 70. Back east that is a nice summer temp. Here, it is a late summer night. I can not argue with the climate in this area.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:21 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
Or just a few miles away try Zip 85054 would still be a supereasy commute all surface streets. It is right adjacent to 85254. I live in 85054 maybe 1-2 miles north of about Greenway/69th St. I have never been to 27th St/Greenway but I think that is just the other side of the 51 freeway (which I think 51 is at about 32nd St/Greenway or something?).

The part of 85054 I am referring to would put you just a couple (as in 1-3) miles north of Greenway. I am not familiar with the parts of 85054 that may be west of Tatum (if there are any-I am fairly new here lol!) but once you get near Tatum by Desert Ridge, the area is very nice with a lot of shopping and new construction.

From where I am I could get to 27th St & Greenway in about maybe 10 minutes if that depending how I timed the stop lights.

From what I understand from these boards, 85254 is geographically Phoenix but uses a Scottsdale address. 85054 is geographically Scottsdale but uses a Phoenix address. LOL!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:24 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
Oh and Mayo Clinic is not too far from Desert Ridge area or where I am either. (I think it is about 4 miles from here to Desert Ridge and Mayo is about the halfway point.) With teens always good to be near an emergency room. ;0

Old 10-07-2007, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,017 times
Default Greenway Post Office?

If you are talking about the post office at 28th street and Greenway Rd./Pkwy, then you might want to consider living in a different area. That area is what is commonly called "The Square." The "square" is one square mile of low income housing, gang activity and illegals. I would suggest living further east, at least past 40th street or Tatum, which is 48th street. The only downside is, once you go just a few miles east, you go up in property value, around $350k +.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRez View Post
If you are talking about the post office at 28th street and Greenway Rd./Pkwy, then you might want to consider living in a different area. That area is what is commonly called "The Square." The "square" is one square mile of low income housing, gang activity and illegals. I would suggest living further east, at least past 40th street or Tatum, which is 48th street. The only downside is, once you go just a few miles east, you go up in property value, around $350k +.
Do people read the comments that others post before responding? This is almost identical to my post a few weeks ago.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:25 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
Well, it was worth repeating. Some call it the square (Phoenix PD) and some call it the triangle (Phoenix FD).

Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 AM

376 posts, read 490,349 times
Wow. "Low lifes?" I am never let down by the locals.
I wouldn't advise the area-but calling people low lifes is a bit much.

Here is my 2 cents: AZ is a VERY different place. It is hot and dry and dusty. You should realize that it is not like a trip out here. It is very hot for 6 months of the year. There is hardly any rain, and hardly any green. It is all brown and dry. It isn't humid hot, but it is uncomfortable nontheless. In addition, at minimum 2 months in the summer is downright dangerous. It is so hot that it is unbareable. You will burn your hands on your steering wheel when it is left outside for a bit-even with shades up in the windows.) In the winters, it is chilly at night. You won't mind though as you are used to much worse, but just so you know it can get down to the 40s at night. (something I didn't know when I moved here)
People are different. There is a good chance you won't know your NEXT DOOR neighbor. I am from back east and we knew our whole block. People for the most part keep to themselves here. (I will have people slam me for saying this in the posts under me, but it is the truth.) In addtion, I was brought here at the age your children are now. I was not accepted for a very long time. I was different. I had an "accent". Kids are mean here-I know, kids are mean everywhere, but it will be a difficult and painful adjustment. If I were in your shoes, and I am actually, as I have a child that age, and want to move terribly, I wouldn't move here. Wait until they are done with school. It will go fast, and then you and your husband can move without the birds in the nest. This is my opinion. I would even consider moving somewhere else on the east coast if you have to move. It is a BIG adjustment on kids to move here.
If you are hell bent on coming here, the area you are talking about is close to desireable areas, and a realtor will be able to help you find just what you are looking for. I am not sure what your budget will be, but unless you are looking for something under 200k, you should be alright. If you can swing it, 85254 is a nice area and close to the post office (it isn't cheap though)
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,856 times
Default Dear Wife of Postal Worker

I find ridiculous all the messages they give you advising you of million dollar homes since first you clearly said in your add that your husband is a postal service worker. You do not mention nothing about you working and contributing to the family income so with just his salary you two could not afford a million dollar home anyways, even if he was in USPS' management not just a non-exempt position which i assume he is. That specific USPS office at Greenway is well understaffed and has ALWAYS long lines with people threatening to call their congressmen if no solution is found to the big lines problem. I have been on line i have heard it all. So good luck to your poor husband in his new job. They are correct: avoid "the square" wich is defined by the square formed by cave creek rd to 32nd st and greenway to bell rd. But the "square" has nearby ramifications. It extends north of Bell West of 32nd St getting close to Union Hills and almost facing Paradise Valley Community College. Lots of Mexicans live there, kind of "hidden", lost in the urban masquerade. Also it extends south of Greenway East of Cave Creek rd almost to the postal office your husband will work for. You can find in "the square" the worst white trash you can imagine: white pregnant teenagers; white old men and white women missing some teeth living in decaying mobile homes with an reumatic underfeed dog barking in the front yard; voluptuos underdressed white women selling their bodies for a few bucks, wearing golden color shoes and carrying Korean-made Louis Vuitton imitation purses; and of course undocumented Mexican aliens from all ages and sizes. They are also right: south of Greenway on 7th street you'll find less of these characters and a more affluent "anglo" population but i don't know if you will be able to afford the house price being your hubby a postal worker, good luck. A good bet also is East of Greenway passing Tatum blvd, but these area is populated for a much older population who fantasize of living in Paradise Valley even if they don't: greedy old white ladys driving a painted-over cadillac seville who will not tolerate your dog barking ONE single time after 10PM without filling a city report against you; old white men who will file a report against you if your laurel tree goes one inch into their lot, and so on, you get the idea. The more affluent, the less tolerant, the less affluent, the more tolerant but not to the point of "the square". You have to find a middle ground. The point is, no matter where you live, your children will have illegal mexican classmates (allowed by the U.S. Constitution) and you will have foreign neighboors either from Mexico or from Bosnia-Herzegovina. Arizona is not New Jersey, sorry. Welcome to the Southwest where the border is as porous as Britney Spears underpants. Good Luck.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:39 PM

307 posts, read 954,261 times
Default co-worker from Newark, NJ

I have a co-worker that moved here from Newark. He now has his brother moving here, along with his mother and brother-in-law.

They like it here because the cost of living is cheaper, plus my co-worker laments that he will not miss dealing with the elements (like snow) versus NJ.

Example of cost of living:

New Jersey property tax on 1800 Square foot home: $7900.00 year

Arizona property tax on his current (1679 sq ft) home: $1279.00 year

He told me other things like tags on the car, food, insurance, etc. are cheaper here in Phoenix area versus Newark, NJ.

YMMV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area