Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM

28 posts, read 78,102 times

Advertisements

In general, I prefer to go to work on foot. For this purpose I found a job that have apartment nearby, moved there, paying higher rent etc.
To be specific it’s located near Price Rd. and Germann Rd. intersection in Chandler, AZ.
There are two routes to walk from my apartment complex - one mile on the pavement and 0.5 miles of dirt road through the field.
Two construction companies started constriction on this field. And today, while I walked across the field, a car drove up with a security guard and they told me that dirt road is closed because of danger of trucks. And they do not know where I can walk, since that sidewalk (on Price Rd.) is also closed because of construction. On the other side of the road there is no pavement.

So I’m forced to travel by car. (I have a car, but not every day of the week.)
To whom I can complain about it? I can go and write down names and phone numbers of these construction companies, but would they help me? Could I complain to the management of the Chandler? Could I complain to the police about it? Would it help?

Exact location: Price Rd & Germann Rd Chandler AZ - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Temporary sidewalk closures happen, due to construction. If is a dirt construction road in private property, they don't have to let you walk there. Be glad you have a short drive on the days you drive, and walk on the unpaved side of the road (opposite the closed sidewalk) the other days. The city may be able to give you some timeline info, but I doubt that complaining will matter.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Or just be thankful that you were able to cut across private property for as long as you have and that people don't typically fence vacant land out here

You absolutely should not be allowed onto any active construction site - especially one that is going on the private dirt field

If the sidewalk is also closed in that section just cross the street and walk on the wide dirt right of way until you are clear of the construction and cross back and if you don't feel safe doing that just drive until that bit of construction is over

Do you know what they are building? Typical project like that go fairly quickly if they are separate jobs ... if it's all tied into one you may be looking a bit longer (9 mos maybe) if they are putting up a small commercial building and are going over the sidewalk area as site access

Really nothing you can do and there is nothing to complain about - all construction projects are going to inconvenience someone ........ noise, vibration, dust, lack of site security, confusing signage, etc are reasons to complain

Maybe the best you could hope for is a clear signage that the route is closed and maybe some pedestrian alternate in effect .... in which case it would be a combination of the city and the general contractor (there should be a sign on site that lists the owner, GC, etc)

However, the pedestrian alternate and detour route isn't frequently required so you may not get any traction there

Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
I'd start at the top, Dysadaption . . . THE MAROR'S OFFICE.

Long term blocking of a pedestrian walkway should be just as illegal as blocking a street.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
it's not illegal to block a street ...... it happens all the time in construction...........

Old 07-02-2012, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure that that dirt road is private or public. How to find out this?
I would walk on sidewalk which should be public and it's closed. If I cross on other side of the street then there are two problems: a) it's not paved (but it's ok). b) in location near my work there is no crossing to it, or it would be another several miles walk to next available crossing. And crossing Price Rd. where cars drive 50+ mph at rush hour is very dangerous. I better take risk near construction site.
In whole this story is strange that road is not closed but sidewalk is closed. Basically "they" do not care about pedestrians, and it's frustrating.

>Be glad you have a short drive on the days you drive
Well, I'm glad to myself because it was a plan to move closer to work. If I have to drive then I would live further and pay cheaper for apartment.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM

131 posts, read 344,851 times
The property should be marked with signs saying private property no trespassing or consruction zone no trespassing.. if not then there is no reason that you would no be able to walk through it..

Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM

Recently they installed sign "Construction zone. No public access." on that dirt road.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM

There are few pedestrians in that area. Sidewalks on one side of a street by a construction project are commonly closed for the short term. It's not illegal to temporarily block a street, either, for safety reasons during construction. That usually gets coordinated with law enforcement and the streets department. But, this road is apparently not a public road. I think you are making a big deal about a temporary inconvenience.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imartin26 View Post
The property should be marked with signs saying private property no trespassing or consruction zone no trespassing.. if not then there is no reason that you would no be able to walk through it..
Yes, there's a reason he shouldn't be able to walk through it, it's private property, and he was told to stay out. It's posted now, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: