Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

They all have a switch to reverse the direction of the blades. One switch setting will pull the air up, if the switch is reversed it will push the air down. In the summer we always use the push down setting since our air ducts are near the ceiling.
In the winter we turn off the fans since we don't need air pulled up or down as the house is well insulated and doesn't need fans directing warm air anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM

54 posts, read 112,528 times
Default not only direction, but power counts

just moved into new place.....bought upgraded (we thought) Hunter fans for 2 BR's. two existing hampton bays were in kitchen and lr. The air that is pushed down is significantly more powerful on the existing fans.
We aren't sure if we will change them out - paid electrician to install them. A call to Hunter confirmed that because they operate with a remote control we can not make them more powerful. So I have yet another side fan in both locations ... Ay Yay Yay.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:17 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
We have a Hunter Original over the bed and rarely kick it above the lowest speed. High speed emulates a wind tunnel in my opinion. Be aware that there are differences within Hunter fans. The Original is more or less what they have been making for over 100 years, has a larger motor and a 15 degree pitch on the blades. Other Hunter models tend to be more cheaply made and are more comparable to the less expensive fans like Hampton Bay. I've always stuck with either Casablanca or Hunter Original models.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 PM

54 posts, read 112,528 times
Perhaps the existing Hampton Bays are originals, as they seem to have a more powerful motor. The Hunter we bought at HD was touted to us to be the newest and the price would be going up significantly in a short time. Perhaps we should have done more research. I like my high powered wind tunnel!! (came here from No. Ca coast, windows open AND fan going :-))

Thanls for the headsup.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:30 PM

11 posts, read 24,894 times
Here's a little twist that goes against everything everyone has said--and it works better.

I have a small room with a high vaulted ceiling, and the HVAC register is HIGH on the wall. In the summer, I turn the fan CLOCKWISE to push air down towards me. It has a greater and more positive effect than what it might do pushing the hot air down. Basically, the cooler air coming out of the vents near the peak of the ceiling offsets any warmer air pushing down on me.

There seem to be exceptions to every rule in terms of rotation, time of year, etc. Take into account the shape of the room, where you will be sitting, and WHERE the register/vent is located.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakford4 View Post
Here's a little twist that goes against everything everyone has said--and it works better.

I have a small room with a high vaulted ceiling, and the HVAC register is HIGH on the wall. In the summer, I turn the fan CLOCKWISE to push air down towards me. It has a greater and more positive effect than what it might do pushing the hot air down. Basically, the cooler air coming out of the vents near the peak of the ceiling offsets any warmer air pushing down on me.

There seem to be exceptions to every rule in terms of rotation, time of year, etc. Take into account the shape of the room, where you will be sitting, and WHERE the register/vent is located.
Ummmmmm.....that's pretty much the same thing everybody else said.....

Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM

308 posts, read 791,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormad View Post
Perhaps the existing Hampton Bays are originals, as they seem to have a more powerful motor. The Hunter we bought at HD was touted to us to be the newest and the price would be going up significantly in a short time. Perhaps we should have done more research. I like my high powered wind tunnel!! (came here from No. Ca coast, windows open AND fan going :-))

Thanls for the headsup.

I just bought a Hampton Bay fan and installed it. It did not push nearly enough air for me and I replaced it with another brand. After I re-installed the Hampton Bay in the guest bedroom, thinking it may work in the smaller room, I realized Hampton Bay fans turn in the opposite direction to push air down. All the other fans I have ever had turned clockwise for down, this one is counterclockwise for down. Check your new fan to make sure it is on the right setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area