Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 PM

140 posts, read 504,517 times

Advertisements

What's a good degree to get from ASU, that can help get a good job in phoenix. Nothing to hard, like science or math based???

How about acounting or teaching???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 PM

784 posts, read 923,188 times
My son has two years left on his mathmatics degree, he just transfered to ASU from Iowa State arriving last week and moved into our new house....he already has a job with a bank.

I hire people for my business, engineers, administrators and electrical techs....regardless to what you may hear there is actually a lack of quality technical people to hire in todays work force. My advice to you would be to get a degree with as much technical or higher skill set as you can....those people will get recruited big time while the business majors will all compete for a very limited number of jobs.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM

140 posts, read 504,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
My son has two years left on his mathmatics degree, he just transfered to ASU from Iowa State arriving last week and moved into our new house....he already has a job with a bank.

I hire people for my business, engineers, administrators and electrical techs....regardless to what you may hear there is actually a lack of quality technical people to hire in todays work force. My advice to you would be to get a degree with as much technical or higher skill set as you can....those people will get recruited big time while the business majors will all compete for a very limited number of jobs.
In high school algebra, geometry, and autocad, where my best subjects. But I'm 28 now, and a little rusty. I could probably pick it up again, but it will be work. I probably would start my first semester until Im 30, and I would prefer something as easy as possible, but still has good opportunities.

But mabey I will get back into math...never had to study...I could just do it.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Why not electrician? My bro does that and makes a good living!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJerseyBorn View Post
What's a good degree to get from ASU, that can help get a good job in phoenix. Nothing to hard, like science or math based???

How about acounting or teaching???
Accounting is not an easy degree. It's quant/math based. Realistically, it's going to be a challenge getting a degree in today's economy without a degree in some quant/math/numbers oriented degree. I'm referring to fields such as finance, accounting, statistics, engineering, computer science, mathematics, chemistry, physics etc. And remember that biology isn't quant based but most biology degrees involve a lot of classes that are quant/math based such as chemistry and physics. For example, a lot of people become biology majors to enter health related fields but those majors often require general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, calculus etc. Gone are the days of students graduating with degrees like political science, philosophy, sociology, English, History and the humanities and easily getting jobs as teachers, professors or find employment as a lawyer. And unlike the past, you can't settle on law school to get a job since something like 40-45% of law school graduates can't find a job 9 months after graduating. It's a competitive world and employers are seeking people with degrees that are mathematically oriented.

I would recommend engaging in one of these majors. They aren't easy and will require hard work and sacrifice but anything that is worthwhile in life requires that. As others have said, there are plenty of jobs for qualified applicants and by qualified they usually mean people with degrees in these fields. These types of graduates are not easy to come by because most college students avoid these majors because they tend to be more difficult.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-14-2012 at 12:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area