Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:42 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I understand, azkylady,

However, do you throw a Mega-Fit . . . attacking people including Phoenix Police Officers?

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT!
Maybe she did throw a Mega-Fit (haven't watched the video), but do people just throw mega-fits for no reason... just out of the blue? Do you remember the other similar story with the baby sippy cup at Reagan Airport a few months ago - Woman Hassled By TSA Over Water In Her Son’s Sippy Cup | Jokestarter Did the requests made about it sound reasonable to you? But, hey, reasonable is almost an extinct word. Should be removed from the dictionaries soon.

And while searching for this link, came across one of a "wonderul," "conforming," and not throwing fits grandma (an immigrant or a visiting foreigner, no less; that'll make it even more admirable, wouldn't it) - Baby is sent through X-ray machine at LAX - Los Angeles Times- who volunteered to put her month-old grandson in a bin to go through the X-ray machine. Thank goodness she's not mine, but maybe ya all can cheer for her. The poster child of "safety" and "security"! We all have to learn and live up to her "determination," even though in her case it's most likely not determination, but grand fear and an attempt to avoid hassle. I'm sure she really meant no harm for the baby and had no idea what the machine does.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM

81 posts, read 356,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
A 45 year-old on her way to rehab has me suspcious of her at the outset. I will wait for a full accounting until I make final judgment.
co-sign...

Old 10-07-2007, 07:18 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Maybe she did throw a Mega-Fit (haven't watched the video), but do people just throw mega-fits for no reason...
Clinically depressed people with mental or emotional disorders can, sure.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 AM

8 posts, read 17,057 times
Quote:
During my long airline career, I spent many years working at LAX and I can assure you there are many, almost on a daily basis, incidents where people throw "snit fits" for many different reasons. Some are downright scary and ridiculous considering the relatively simple solutions available.
That doesn't justify the death of a woman in custody whatsoever! Regardless of what she may or may not have been doing while shackled unattended in a holding room.
Quote:
Sorry, I've been there and seen it all . . . NO SYMPATHY WHATSOEVER!
That's quite unreasonable to be judging a woman that you have not met, and an incident that you did not witness. Apparently this woman had bruises all over her body, that are probably not self-inflicted, and it has been determined that she doesn't suffer from any psychological problems either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I am watching CNN right now...9:29 CST on Friday night and they are discussing the story. So far they've said that she was clinically depressed and an alcoholic that was flying to enter a rehab center.
That now seems incorrect since it has been reported that she didn't suffer from any psychological problems apart from the effects of alcoholism.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:49 AM

376 posts, read 490,349 times
I wasn't at all surprised by this story. This is the town where people die in custody. Sheriff Joe has people dying in jail all the time. I am not saying that I know what happened. I am simply saying that if this were to happen anywhere-Phoenix is the place. (and do not reply by telling me that she wasn't in Sheriff Joe's custody-it doesn't matter, this just wasn't a surprise was my point.)

Old 10-08-2007, 10:01 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatheReid View Post
That doesn't justify the death of a woman in custody whatsoever! Regardless of what she may or may not have been doing while shackled unattended in a holding room.
Sorry, HeatheReid, no justification implied or intended!

My point was very simple and direct . . . We are responsible for our own actions!

In this particular case, it is obvious the family was both careless and negligent by allowing anyone in her condition to travel alone. Hindsight is always 20/20, however, it is apparent they had plenty of advance knowledge and warning!

Why should the Airlines and/or the Phoenix Police be expected to babysit?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
I wasn't at all surprised by this story. This is the town where people die in custody. Sheriff Joe has people dying in jail all the time. I am not saying that I know what happened. I am simply saying that if this were to happen anywhere-Phoenix is the place. (and do not reply by telling me that she wasn't in Sheriff Joe's custody-it doesn't matter, this just wasn't a surprise was my point.)
Interesting approach, NanawaleJulie,

Are you implying Phoenix and Maricopa County have exclusive rights to this type of tragedy?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 AM

430 posts, read 1,264,108 times
Before people start laying blame on the Police Department or the airport think about this...if this woman had been in a mental health hospital before, had been "suicidal", had a drinking problem, had been in rehab before with no positive results, WHY did her family allow her to travel alone? Did she have a sign on her that said "don't give me a drink, I'm an alcoholic"....I don't think so. Anyone that behaves in the manner she did would of received the same treatment...handcuffed and put in a room to calm down....

O.Nana

Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
Before people start laying blame on the Police Department or the airport think about this...if this woman had been in a mental health hospital before, had been "suicidal", had a drinking problem, had been in rehab before with no positive results, WHY did her family allow her to travel alone? Did she have a sign on her that said "don't give me a drink, I'm an alcoholic"....I don't think so. Anyone that behaves in the manner she did would of received the same treatment...handcuffed and put in a room to calm down....

O.Nana
Families can't always have control of the mentally ill person in their family, nor do some want that responsibility. Would you want to deal with that? It's VERY difficult!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Families can't always have control of the mentally ill person in their family, nor do some want that responsibility. Would you want to deal with that? It's VERY difficult!
True, but if they chose not to take responsibility for her, then they can't expect the police to have somehow figured out she had issues and needed to be watched. That would be a double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area