Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:00 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times

Advertisements

I have a question. I wonder if there is a "term" or technical word for what I am going to describe: Out in Buckeye, a built (used) home is probably ranging around $200-220K. Comparable new homes are selling for about $160-180K. Where is the logic in that? Location is in same general vicinity - plus, we're talking about Buckeye here - rural, way out in nowhere-ville.

I'm not a homebuyer (we're looking though) but this "logic" doesn't make sense to me. Can somebody who is "knowledgeable" in the real estate field explain this concept to me or am I just not "comparing correctly"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 04:48 PM

284 posts, read 1,020,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I have a question. I wonder if there is a "term" or technical word for what I am going to describe: Out in Buckeye, a built (used) home is probably ranging around $200-220K. Comparable new homes are selling for about $160-180K. Where is the logic in that? Location is in same general vicinity - plus, we're talking about Buckeye here - rural, way out in nowhere-ville.

I'm not a homebuyer (we're looking though) but this "logic" doesn't make sense to me. Can somebody who is "knowledgeable" in the real estate field explain this concept to me or am I just not "comparing correctly"?

That is base price for the new home,those upgrades are expensive and they add up fast,trust me.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 PM

461 posts, read 1,810,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
That is base price for the new home,those upgrades are expensive and they add up fast,trust me.
That used to be true, but builders are giving away upgrades like crazy! And for all those who "doubt" that the market will continue to drop, all I can say is you're obviously not trying to sell your home. The prices of homes have dropped dramatically in every state across the country. And they are going to continue to drop. No matter how much you lower the price, every buyer out there will offer you an even lower price. Yes, be prepared, because it is happening and will continue to happen. Positive thinking is a good thing, but you have to be realistic.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:18 AM

89 posts, read 448,703 times
Quote:

Yes. You can find new homes less than old homes mostly where prices have dropped significantly and many builders in an area. My case , I first went with new homes, chose the house I liked, calculated the house price including upgrades. I gave that price to my realtor to find the used home for lesser than that. He couldnot find one. Till then, he tried to convince me into buying old homes.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 AM

I totally get what you're saying. People are trying to convince me that the upgrades "add up" and that's why they are more expensive than the new homes but I've noticed a.) a lot of builders are tacking on free upgrades to the low prices and b.) some of the old homes I've seen aren't that upgraded. Like, I don't see the "worth" as compared to just purchasing new and picking your own upgrades.

I really like Litchfield Park and area near exit #126. We're crossing our fingers that we can get a home for around $200K there (although unlikely) ... here's to hoping!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:55 AM

419 posts, read 1,525,475 times
What a lot of excited new-home buyers forget, is that even an upgraded home is not a finished product. Consider all the costs to finish a new home, that are already present and working in a "used" home. Granted some of these do get thrown in from some builders:

Blinds and curtains
Ceiling fans
landscaping/pool (sometimes given by builder)
New decor to match house
Garage openers
Alarm systems
Paint jobs

These costs can add up to several thousand dollars. I've always, just my opinion, thought a recently built home (within 5 yrs), which has already been finished, is a better value than brand new homes. But, depending on the level of discounts/upgrades from the buyer, that could make it a better deal for you to finish out of your own pocket.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:09 PM

284 posts, read 1,020,849 times
I bought a new home last month, recieved over 35k in incentives plus a free pool(basic 17k pool), my final price was 64k over the base price. So without incentives 95k in upgrades plus pool. I also upgraded the pool by 20k and that is not included in my 95k number. And my house isnt anywhere near fully upgraded.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:14 PM

I definitely see your point but most of the "used" homes I've seen I'd change the majority of the stuff in it: the blinds, paint, fans and of course you'd buy your own decor and accents. Now, I can't argue with you about landscaped homes - I'm always impressed with a nicely landscaped home - but the ones I've seen have barren backyards and barely anything in the front!! Now that I think about it, the point you make does make sense but the homes I've seen, these things are not worth their weight in gold.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
have barren backyards and barely anything in the front
Now, now... Take some courses in RE-ish! That's called "the backyard is a clean slate for YOU to design!"

Old 10-26-2007, 12:29 PM

lol ... then I guess they won't mind if I offer at 10K less for them personal designs to my new backyard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area