Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 AM

123 posts, read 243,300 times

Advertisements

OK, then how come no international flights out of PHX? We all know businesses flee CA to come to AZ, shouldn't the airlines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualforecast View Post
OK, then how come no international flights out of PHX? We all know businesses flee CA to come to AZ, shouldn't the airlines?

Why should the airlines "flee" California? They aren't really the same as other businesses.

As far as why no international flights except to Canada, Mexico and London, I don't know the reason for that, nor do I know the process by which expansion of international routes to and from other airports are put in place. I suspect the proximity of the California international airports and the large number of flights to and from those cities and Phoenix has a lot to do with it. There must not be a lot of demand for more international service in and out of Phoenix, for whatever reason.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 AM

117 posts, read 160,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualforecast View Post
What does that have to do with the quality and service of Sky Harbor? Thats on the airlines.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:27 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
yeah .... completely misses the mark .... there are international direct flights out of phoenix .... however, many international flights do HUB .... it's easy to hop from sky harbor to the CA airports or a place like houston

even with somewhat limited international options sky harbor is still the 9th busiest airport in the nation

the order changes a bit year to year but typically the top international airports are JFK, Miami, O'Hare, Houston, LAX, Newark, Atlanta, San Francisco, Washington & Dallas

however, none of that has anything to do with getting around the airport ...... from most of the country you are either flying a connection or driving on an international flight

Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
What I am worried about it the downsizing of flights out of PHX because of the USAir and American. PHX took it once with American West being merged with USAir. The airport is fine. You should try to get around DeGaulle!! What a mad house!!

Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Yeah, I'm seriously concerned about PHX turning into PIT (after the US Air-America West merger) or CVG (post-Delta/Northwestern merger). That US Airways has decided to move the majority of its operations from Tempe to Dallas/Fort Worth is another cause for concern (and I can't fault them, at least from a business standpoint, it makes perfect economic sense since American has a better reputation and brand recognition)

Phoenix is unfortunately situated between two of American's largest hubs (LAX and DFW) with other airlines having large hubs in other western cities (Delta in SLC and United in DEN). Southwest has a large presence at PHX, but they aren't any better than the legacy carriers nowadays as far as prices are concerned. In fact, the last couple of times I've flown from PHX to the California area I've found it cheaper to use Expedia/Travelocity/Priceline than going through Southwest. I guess I was spoiled with the cheap fares Southwest had back in the early-to-mid 2000s ($29-$59 one ways from PHX to the LA and Bay Area airports)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area