Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM

68 posts, read 83,395 times

Advertisements

I've been doing the research, and due diligence on a relocation from Michigan to the Southwest, we really like Phoenix. My Wife is in Information Technology, I'm a talk show host, was on here a few weeks back. Appears all indicators show Phoenix is on it's way back, maybe a bit slower than the national average, but long term the outlook is terrific. As residents, are you seeing the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Coming from MI myself, you will see a night and day difference in peoples' demeanors and I believe one of the major factors to be the economy. Get this, people here actually smile, they're friendly, they take care of themselves. In MI, it seemed like people were constantly depressed and just down about things. It was hard not to be that way in that environment. I realize that's a bit harsh and of course not everyone was a slovenly, sad, jerk, but I saw that type a lot.

The housing market is crazy hot right now and I believe employment figures are up. Overall, I get a much more positive vibe (whatever that is) here.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 PM

That's actually quite accurate, Detroit. The City continues to get worse, the outlook is grim, actually for the midwest as a region. The Southwest is very encouraging, and Phoenix is real nice, been there on work visits. My wife is in Information Technology, she shouldn't have much trouble I wouldn't think, I am speaking with a radio station about a show, so it's good there. Thanks Detroit!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylightning View Post
I've been doing the research, and due diligence on a relocation from Michigan to the Southwest, we really like Phoenix. My Wife is in Information Technology, I'm a talk show host, was on here a few weeks back. Appears all indicators show Phoenix is on it's way back, maybe a bit slower than the national average, but long term the outlook is terrific. As residents, are you seeing the same?
A bit slower than the national average??? Where did you get your information? That couldn't be further than the truth. Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities for jobs. Average housing prices have increased by over 20% in the past year. To be honest, you're about a year behind. Everyone else has taken notice of our growth and is capitalizing upon it. People are buying homes. Companies are moving here creating jobs. If you can get an opportunity for you and your wife, consider yourselves lucky and grab it while you can. Michigan residents are my favorite of all transplants that come here. You'll love it here! Best wishes to you and your wife regardless of whatever decision you reach

Also, the Midwest residents are the best about adapting to our weather and the heat in general. They appreciate our summers for what they are. They recognize the extreme heat, while difficult, is still far better than a Midwest winter.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylightning View Post
I have a positive outlook on Phoenix's job market as someone in IT. It's always been a great job market for highly experienced people in IT. Network and Software Engineers that is. Most low end of IT has all be off-shored or outsourced to Canada.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Good luck with everything. I say it all the time but moving here from Metro Detroit was the best decision I've ever made.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks azzriverfan! I've been looking at so much, I'm pretty sure the information source was Kiplinger Business. That's our feeling about the weather, it's not what 3 months of summer will be like, it's a wonderful trade-off for losing brutal winters, which last 5-6 months! Like Detroit said, I've always found the people of Phoenix to be very friendly, easy to talk to. Forbes looked at cities and growth potential into 2020, Phoenix was well near the top again for the type of business they're attracting, only behind Raleigh and Austin. The thing with Austin, they're attracting phone center and hospitality work, Phoenix much more professional employment...Excellent!...Also nice to hear about the midwesterners!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Great Shiphead! Karen has 18 years experience, the last 5 as a director of IT. Thanks Detroit! If I land the talk show spot, it's all but a done deal, this forum helps a lot. You can read the chamber of commerce pages, that's all good, but hearing from people who actually live and work in Phoenix is all together different.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 PM

Been going through some other threads, and relocating questions are pretty common, but after all, it is a relocation information forum. So thanks for answering mine, I imagine you do it often...Paul Wedding

Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
One thing to remember/know when reading *any* article about employment rates - the unemployment system in Arizona is vastly different than the one in Michigan - and according to the statistics, you arent "unemployed" unless youre drawing unemployment. In Michigan, unemployment pays $362 per week, and you can actually collect that money if you are fired without cause/warning. In Az, I think it maxes out at $240~ish, and if your employer doesnt want to pay, they usually win.

So Arizona's employment rates are *always* artificially high, compared to blue states. The low payment, coupled with the employer-slanted unemployment system makes it easy to doctor the unemployment numbers & create an artificial optimism. Theres a large segment of "haves" in Arizona who truly have *no* idea how "the other side" lives.

During my nursing clinicals, I encountered a homeless man who had checked into the hospital citing "chest pain".. one of my duties as a student was to calculate his "ins and outs".. (how much he ate).. he consumed seven trays of food during my 12-hour shift. (And at least a couple were double-portions)..

I'm not a doc, but it seemed obvious to me that part of that "chest pain" *might* have been hunger.

There is a sometimes rabid undertone here against the poor - they arent counted & they simply don't exist in the minds of a large segment of the population here. So, while I understand much of the population in Michigan is in an artificial "funk" , the population here might be in a mood of undeserved optimism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: