Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

On Craig's List, you can't verify the credibility of the vendors or services. You are taking a chance. That's not being negative, that is stating a fact. For some people, they are fine with accepting this risk. For others like myself, I would rather not take a chance and use Yelp or Angies List. And yes, there are accounts of people being victims from Craig's List for this reason. Again, that is not being negative, that is just stating a fact. It's the risk/reward concept. People use Craig's list because they want a better deal and are willing to risk an adverse event in doing so. For me, I can afford to pay a little more and would rather not take a chance with Craig's List.
I'm in total agreement with AzRiverFan on the CL issue.

As far as day laborers, there are still some areas of town where you can find them. However, you need to be able to speak at least some Spanish. I'm not being prejudice here (We lived IN Mexico part time for a couple of years). I'm just being realistic. And with my very limited Spanish, I could not communicate adequate with these guys for my required level of comfort.

Edited to add: Kimbalette had some OUTSTANDING advice. Wish I had know that a long time ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:54 PM

344 posts, read 812,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

On Craig's List, you can't verify the credibility of the vendors or services. You are taking a chance. That's not being negative, that is stating a fact.ist.

And that's a view of the glass half empty. The degree of risk is entirely dependent on the players and situation.

Anything beyond that is simply the interpretation of the author.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
OP-

I am curious to know about these bad attitudes you experienced on Craigslist. That was my plan for when I got there was to find some people on CL to help me unload my trailer and carry the stuff inside.

Can you still get day laborers outside of Home Depot?
Read the posts lol. As far as bad attitudes, you should already know that from interaction in general, good or bad. Craig's is just a collection of people.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:01 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
And that's a view of the glass half empty. The degree of risk is entirely dependent on the players and situation.

Anything beyond that is simply the interpretation of the author.
No, that is stating a fact. The fact is vendors can't be verified on Craig's list. it's also a fact that people have experienced adverse events through Craig's list. You are taking a risk by using Craig's List. I never stated the degree of risk because quite frankly I don't know what that degree is. All of the above statements are facts and not subject to interpretation. I choose to minimize my risk to the best of my ability and choose to use sources that attempt to verify their vendors to some degree and provide user reviews. However, that is just me. Everyone should make decisions based on their comfort level. I'm not accusing you of putting a positive spin about Craig's List. You've had positive experiences and would recommend it based on your experience. You are not wrong for saying that either.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-10-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Renting a van from Home Depot is definitely cheaper than U-Haul. But U-haul has an interesting subsidiary that I've used and was very pleased with. eMove is a one stop website for moving help, truck rental, storage, etc. Just click on the icon for Moving Help, plug in some details, and you'll get an assortment of businesses that do the job. You can then research them on other websites, and make your decision.

I used them twice - once for just moving help/muscle, and another time for U-Haul truck rental, truck driving, and loading/unloading. Both times I was very pleased with the results.
Great resource! I repped you. Thanks for this!

https://www.emove.com/

Old 07-10-2013, 02:49 PM

157 posts, read 356,517 times
What Costco are you buying from and where are they going?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:44 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
If you are looking for day laborers go to the Guad they are at the corner of Guadalupe and Avenida de Yaqui

Old 07-10-2013, 05:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Doesn't ASU have a service where students sign up for temp jobs from the public? Many universities do. When I lived in Pittsburgh and moved apartments every two years (don't ask), I got students from Carnegie Mellon University to move me. I rented the truck and paid them an hourly fee. Sometimes I had to pick them up and drop them off, too, but most of the time one of them even had a car.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:48 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,484 times
I needed someone to unload my ABF relo-cube at the ABF terminal and move the stuff to my storage unit, as ABF doesn't deliver the cubes to my location. I called all the movers who advertised on Craigslist and most were more than I could afford. So I placed my own ad. I stated how much I was willing to pay, what type of stuff they would be moving (in my case mostly boxes, no furniture), how long it would take, the mileage, and how big a truck or trailer they would need to do it all in one trip, with the option of using a smaller truck if they didn't mind making multiple trips without getting paid more.

I got many calls. They weren't professional movers, just folks with a truck who wanted to make a few extra bucks. The amount I offered was less than professionals charged, but a good amount that made it worth their while, and being that it was just boxes, it was an easy and quick job. I had my pick of people, and chose a husband and wife. They were on time, did a pretty decent job for not being professionals, and they got it done in good time.

At the last place I lived, I did the same thing when I needed help building a barn.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I have had good luck with CL. And I always post my own ad, explaining the job, even posting pics (of a tree), and other jobs and have had so many responses, its hard to choose. Never had a problem with it. Also sold alot of furniture on CL. I don't put my phone # in my ad, just email.

Other way is to go down AZ ave in Chandler. The day workers still stand out by the gas station just south of downtown.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM

942 posts, read 2,520,264 times
If you go to the Uhaul site, there is an area where one can select labor (or something to that effect) and find movers, their availability, and pricing. They also have star ratings based on what customers have said. We found some excellent movers that way. For two couches, honestly, I would do as others have suggested with a Uhaul or truck rental, get the Costco people to help (they did with a large patio set we purchased) and hopefully you can find someone at your house. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area