Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 PM

97 posts, read 290,695 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else here getting daily phone calls from one of the candidates for the Phoenix city council run off for district 4? It is making me crazy and it is two months until the election. Some of the calls are lame real people, many are robo calls and the rest are phoney poles. I have asked to be taken off the call list and it falls of deaf ears. My phone system will only block 30 numbers. Is this how Chuck Coughlin runs someones campaign? The last culprit was a recorded Carl Seale (?) calling every day to warn me of all the evils of Obamacare? Does anyone know of a device that I can put on my phone line to block numbers from getting through? Lots and lots of numbers. My Panasonic phone system will only block 30 at a time. Even my cell phones are getting calls from these jokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
I agree, Babs . . . those obnoxious calls are a pain in the butt.

My phone system has a similar cap on blocking calls, however, I've learned that once I know the calling number I am able to assign that particular number a silent or special ring tone.

I also keep those obnoxious "high tech out of control" calls in mind when voting.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,978 times
I have worked on campaigns and I can tell you a couple of things that might help. All of the phone calls and mailings that you receive are the result of your voter registration record. Lists are generated from the voter registration database. Most of the canvassing (people knocking on your door) is done with such lists as well. For campaigns with a lot of money the lists are updated daily.

If you vote by mail, once the ballot is turned in you show up on the list as having already voted and some of the activity will stop. This won't help yet but things are only going to get worse.

There is no requirement to include your phone number when you register to vote. If you update your registration and leave your phone number off you will get no calls as the lists that are generated will not have your number.

If you want to avoid people knocking on your door, a sign in the yard (if you are so inclined) will help. Paul Johnson (former Mayor, father of candidate Justin) was walking our neighborhood on Monday. He saw the Laura Pastor sign in our yard and didn't bother to stop. The Pastor people won't stop either.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I have worked on campaigns and I can tell you a couple of things that might help. All of the phone calls and mailings that you receive are the result of your voter registration record. Lists are generated from the voter registration database. Most of the canvassing (people knocking on your door) is done with such lists as well. For campaigns with a lot of money the lists are updated daily.

If you vote by mail, once the ballot is turned in you show up on the list as having already voted and some of the activity will stop. This won't help yet but things are only going to get worse.

There is no requirement to include your phone number when you register to vote. If you update your registration and leave your phone number off you will get no calls as the lists that are generated will not have your number.

If you want to avoid people knocking on your door, a sign in the yard (if you are so inclined) will help. Paul Johnson (former Mayor, father of candidate Justin) was walking our neighborhood on Monday. He saw the Laura Pastor sign in our yard and didn't bother to stop. The Pastor people won't stop either.
Thank you for the information. And I appreciate that you volunteer.

HOWEVER, the government (as well as non-profits) should have been prohibited from calling anyone who is on the do not call list. They should never have been allowed to exempt themselves.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM

That's who keeps calling and calling and calling every day. I will ask the live people calling to please stop and they tell me they will. They don't stop. I feel like I'm being stalked. I looked at his donor list at City of Phoenix online. Do Colangelo and the Bidwell family live in District 4? The donor list is rife with very high priced real estate attorneys and developers. There are one Democrat and one Independent living in my house. We both voted for David Lujan in the primary. He was the one with qualifications. What's going on here? Is this the Tea Party trying to take over City government?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thank you for the information. And I appreciate that you volunteer.

HOWEVER, the government (as well as non-profits) should have been prohibited from calling anyone who is on the do not call list. They should never have been allowed to exempt themselves.

"The government" is not making those calls, it is the election campaigns, which are separate entities. However, political campaigns are among the exceptions in the law creating the do no not call list. http://www.mainstreet.com/article/mo...al-phone-calls

If you don't like it, contact your Congressman. Or, wait for his or her next campaign call.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 PM

How can I call my Congressman when it is his daughter Laura Pastor who I will vote for? Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest? I'm on my last nerve here. What's to be gained here? Private prisons built by the former mayor? Money is at the bottom of everything.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsJohnson View Post
How can I call my Congressman when it is his daughter Laura Pastor who I will vote for? Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest? I'm on my last nerve here. What's to be gained here? Private prisons built by the former mayor? Money is at the bottom of everything.
If you don't recognize the number, don't answer the phone. Turn the ringers off, and return calls from people you know later.

It is NOT a conflict of interest. They are two different people, related or not. Your displeasure with the federal law's exceptions to the do not call list has nothing to do with someone's city council campaign. You can leave names out of it, if you want, but that's not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area