Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM

202 posts, read 408,476 times

Advertisements

The home my fiance and I just rented has a great thatch of grass in the backyard. Having just moved to the area (well, she did, I'm still waiting to sell my house before I get there), I'm curious how much water it takes to maintain this year round.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
If that is the summer grass (Bermuda) then it won't look like that for long and probably doesn't look like that now. The winter grass needs to be put in if you want grass during the winter as the Bermuda goes dormant for the winter. Once mine is established I water it about twice a week for 10 minutes during the winter.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
If that is the summer grass (Bermuda) then it won't look like that for long and probably doesn't look like that now. The winter grass needs to be put in if you want grass during the winter as the Bermuda goes dormant for the winter. Once mine is established I water it about twice a week for 10 minutes during the winter.
According to the girl, it still looks like that. She actually said it may even be more green now.

Will this last through the winter?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric618 View Post
According to the girl, it still looks like that. She actually said it may even be more green now.

Will this last through the winter?
Not if it is Bermuda...I don't think you could have Rye established like that this early. My guess is it is Bermuda that will be going dormant shortly.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 PM

So there are no types of grass that can survive the summer and winter there, even with proper care? That's depressing!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric618 View Post
So there are no types of grass that can survive the summer and winter there, even with proper care? That's depressing!
No one type of grass. That's why people who want lush green grass year round plant two types. If that depresses you, I wonder whether you did enough research before making this move.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Why is it depressing? - You get quality grass for 10-11 months out of the year.

LBTRS - the Rye could very well be established - I've had a lot of success planting it early and in years past have had a full lawn while hosting around this time of year ... so it's a possibility, but not sure if it's a probability here

Eric - how long has she been in the home? has anyone overseeded for the winter since she has been in?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
No one type of grass. That's why people who want green grass year round plant two types. If that depresses you, I wonder whether you did enough research before making this move.
Well, grass wouldn't be a deal breaker, so no I did not research that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
...Eric - how long has she been in the home? has anyone overseeded for the winter since she has been in?
She's been there for two weeks now. I don't know if anyone did anything with the lawn, to be honest. I just know I'd like to keep it looking like that, if possible.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:34 PM

Finger Laker - Interesting, I was under the impression it wouldn't get going until the nights got below a certain temp which is normally mid to late October.

Eric618 - If you want to keep it looking like that you'll need to overseed in the winter with rye. Otherwise the Bermuda will go dormant and be brown all winter but take off growing again in late spring.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
That doesn't look like rye. It's been warm enough still that Bermuda or some of the other warm weather lawns would still look like that or better-- but it won't stay that way through the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area