Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times

Advertisements

I don't usually think these carry too much weight but the culinary scene here is pretty impressive. Glad to see the positive recognition.

#2 - Scottsdale, AZ - Top 10 Foodie Cities 2014 | Livability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 AM

768 posts, read 1,759,996 times
What a weird list...let's see who's missing - San Francisco, NYC, Washington DC, Las Vegas, Miami, New Orleans, etc. Yes, there are many fine restaurants in Scottsdale but #2?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
What a weird list...let's see who's missing - San Francisco, NYC, Washington DC, Las Vegas, Miami, New Orleans, etc. Yes, there are many fine restaurants in Scottsdale but #2?
Agreed. Here is their reasoning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
To determine our latest list of the best cities for foodies, we started from a data-driven perspective and then added in some qualitative flavor. We also expanded our horizons. On our previous foodie cities lists (Top 10 Foodie Cities and Top 10 Food Cities 2013), we limited the pickings to small and mid-size cities. On the data side, we analyzed data from Esri about how frequently families eat at locally owned restaurants and how much the average resident spends eating out. A true foodie city also has options for eating in. So we also examined the accessibility residents of each city have to healthy foods like fruits, vegetables and quality meat with data from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. We looked for cities with established farmers markets and restaurants that use locally grown ingredients. On the qualitative side, we looked at cities with critically acclaimed restaurants, successful chefs and winners of James Beard Foundation Awards.
I can't tell if they say that they only looked at small to mid-size cities or that they have branched out from there since last year.

Weird study, yes. Some cool local highlights nonetheless.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:33 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times
Scottsdale is interesting when considered part of the area food scene as a whole. There are arguably as many or more foodie-centric restaurants in Phoenix.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Scottsdale is interesting when considered part of the area food scene as a whole. There are arguably as many or more foodie-centric restaurants in Phoenix.
I don't think they were considering "large" cities.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:34 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Scottsdale has amazing restaurants. Honestly, if Scottsdale was located on a coast, it would receive many more accolades. Scottsdale is so underrated because of it's location. Even it's nightlife is arguably top 5 in the United States. NY, LA, Vegas, Miami, Scottsdale....yeah I would it sincerely rank it's nightlife top 5

Old 06-17-2014, 03:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Scottsdale has amazing restaurants. Honestly, if Scottsdale was located on a coast, it would receive many more accolades. Scottsdale is so underrated because of it's location. Even it's nightlife is arguably top 5 in the United States. NY, LA, Vegas, Miami, Scottsdale....yeah I would it sincerely rank it's nightlife top 5
#5 for nightlife seems like a stretch to me as does a #2 ranking for foodie city. As DetroitN8V said, many of these lists are suspect and can be manipulated to indicate about anything. I looked at every list I could find of best nightlife cities in the US and couldn't find Scottsdale on any of them. Found Phoenix on one list at like 15. Places like Austin, Nashville, San Francisco, New Orleans, Chicago, Washington D.C., were all at the top of the lists along with NYC, LA, Vegas and Miami.

I'm not a huge nightlife guy but those other cities are much more well known to me as nightlife places than Scottsdale, and many are not on the coast either (I've been to most of them, only three I have not are NYC, Austin and DC). I've always thought of Scottsdale as kind of like Palm Springs that catered to an older well-off crowd. Of course there is some nightlife for the younger crowd but I've never thought of it as top spot in the nation like I have others on the list above.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable on Scottsdale so would be interested to hear yours and others thoughts.

Last edited by LBTRS; 06-17-2014 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM

555 posts, read 862,563 times
If the 'nightlife' list were to include the top 20, then id say Scottsdale would have a good chance.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:41 PM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Any food ranking that doesn't include SF, New Orleans or NYC is ridiculous. There are some good restaurants in Scottsdale but it's not #2 in the nation.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:46 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Any food ranking that doesn't include SF, New Orleans or NYC is ridiculous. There are some good restaurants in Scottsdale but it's not #2 in the nation.
Maybe Scottsdale is getting extra points for having Amy's Baking Company since it enjoys national notoriety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area