Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 04:32 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times

Advertisements

I've seen this happen to fences before and it's caused water from sprinklers wetting the fence. Aside from asking the neighbor to adjust the sprinklers (which they may or may not want or be able to do), is there anything we can do on our end? Some sort of coating to stop the water from coming through?

Their lot is elevated compared to ours so it's coming out right in the middle of ours which is basically ground level on his side.

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Discussion sounded familiar, here is the last time it came up. No solution though.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...-staining.html

Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
There's a product called "Drylok" that's used to seal cement block basements from water issues that might be something to look into:

How to Use DryLok in a Wet Basement | DoItYourself.com

Maybe there's a "clear" version which would be nice so you can treat only the small area with the issue instead of having to paint everything for matching purposes.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
There is a product at Dunn Edwards called EFF-STOP that the painter in my HOA just used before painting all the walls. Don't know how well it works, but claims are that it will help prevent efflorescence.
One problem, I think it would have to go on your neighbors side. Also, the type of raised wall shown in the picks tend to have this issue.
You might check with your HOA if you have one (and/or read your CC&Rs) because they might address this issue. I know in my HOA this guy would be liable for damaged caused from watering the walls (if he was doing it right up against the wall).

Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
PS In your situation you need to be thinking "retaining wall". Yes, a fence/block wall is on top of it but there are different issues, different mindset, different expectations with a retaining wall. Perhaps the builder is the one at fault who didn't provide enough safeguards.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
I was wondering the same thing, a block wall isn't designed to have his yard half way up it. That seems like a safety hazard to me. Is that an approved "retaining wall"? I think I would get the builder involved and complain about a design issue as you shouldn't be getting your neighbors grass watering water running down the middle of your wall. Block walls are like fences, not to retain his yard that far above you.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:33 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
I would personally look into ways of masking it instead of trying to prevent it. Considering how high that wall is I think it would look great if you had a raised planter back there running the length of the wall with some vines and shrubs.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
It is a retaining wall...I think. The lots are staggered like steps.

I'll talk to the neighbor first and see if they can adjust their sprinklers and if it's ongoing, I'll talk to the HOA and the builder.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I was wondering the same thing, a block wall isn't designed to have his yard half way up it. That seems like a safety hazard to me. Is that an approved "retaining wall"? I think I would get the builder involved and complain about a design issue as you shouldn't be getting your neighbors grass watering water running down the middle of your wall. Block walls are like fences, not to retain his yard that far above you.
It's clearly a retaining wall up until that point of there the tiny ledge is. The blocks are 8x8x16 and likely reinforced with rebar and concrete. The wall above that line is using 8x4x16 blocks which are typical for non retaining barriers (think normal fence). Who knows what they have landscaped in their yard but the ground level typically will be just above the retaining wall. The water could be coming from shrub/tree emitters that are located around the perimeter of the wall that is seeping in the ground or even from sprinkler heads that are improperly installed and spraying the wall.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
I would love to have monster of a wall like that behind my yard. I think a raised planter bed would look great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area