Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I need help from local Phoenix folks. Am flying into Phoenix 2/13. Need to book a room near airport as connecting flight out of PHX is to Charlotte, NC and we are expecting flight cancellations and/or airport shut down due to winter storm in Charlotte (our home).

So we foresee being stuck at Phoenix airport for at least 1 day.

All hotels I am trying to book near the airport will not allow a same day cancellation with refund. In other words, if we book something and then don't need it, no refund.

I was wondering if anyone has a hotel to suggest that might be further out from the airport but accessible either by a shuttle or bus. I should add - we started looking for a hotel last night and were told that there were no rooms available at many of them, so that is also putting us in a dilemma.

I have a feeling only the hotels near the airport are enforcing this kind of punitive cancellation policy.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 03:59 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Most of them. Call a few. Avoid the cheep ones unless you don't mind the hookers keeping you up all night.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Try something in Tempe, AZ. You can just take a taxi if the airport shuttle can't make it. Tempe is close to the airport. Mostly college kids and professors.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,002 times
Maybe join a hotel rewards program as most you can cancel same day before 6pm. I find it odd though that no hotels would let you cancel w a refund.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:39 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,963 times
It is high season here, so maybe that is part of the problem? There is (or atleast used to be) a Hilton by the airport that wasn't too bad. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 PM

267 posts, read 692,806 times
What is the policy of the Springhill Suites or Hyatt Place on W Rio Salado w of Priest in far n.w. Tempe?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
The Hilton on 40th St near the airport has a 24 hour shuttle. Might work?

You have to cancel by 6 pm or they charge you one nite.

Last edited by AZgarden; 02-12-2014 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. Especially good to find a shuttle.

Hubby is platinum with Hilton Honors and they were adamant about no refund--which really shocked us.

I guess it's just a busy time.

I did some research this afternoon and started to make a reservation but I decided that it appears from what folks are saying--there are hotels available -- just not right at the airport.

Thank you all for your great ideas. Especially about avoiding hookers, lololol. :-)

Old 02-13-2014, 12:00 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
... ...

Thank you all for your great ideas. Especially about avoiding hookers, lololol. :-)

Let me tell you about my experience.

I was trying to sleep in a cheap hotel up off Van Buran. All night long this hooker kept pounding on the door demanding I open it.

At about 3am I finally had to get up and ......

........ Wait for it ........

................... Let her out.

LOL just a little levity.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Let me tell you about my experience.

I was trying to sleep in a cheap hotel up off Van Buran. All night long this hooker kept pounding on the door demanding I open it.

At about 3am I finally had to get up and ......

........ Wait for it ........

................... Let her out.

LOL just a little levity.
LOL!!!

Wanted to report our experience.

Our flight was cancelled, as expected. Couldn't get out on Friday, either--so scheduled to depart on Sat morning.

Found a charming boutique hotel--the Clarendon--with a fantastic restaurant. Everone is helpful and we appreciate the staff's caring attitude.

This was our son's selection. A little more hip than we would have chosen but we are pleased and since this unexpected layover meant some exploration time for son and his fiancee, our main interest was that they get to explore PHoenix and have an adventure they would remember.

So I highly recommend this hotel, especially for younger travelers.

Also, USAirways did not even offer a voucher. For folks on a tight budget or without a credit card, this 2 day delay would have been a real nightmare.

We love Phoenix and wish we could have stayed a week. I am reminded how for many years hubby and I kept Phoenix on our list of places to move to if the opportunity arose.

Also, hubby is using a wheelchair and accommodation for folks with assistive devices has been very smooth here.

Love this city! Thank you all for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area