Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 AM

54 posts, read 87,809 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about my plan to drive from Dallas to Phoenix in a few weeks. I'm not sure about the daytime temps and worried the car may break down from the heat. Or maybe the tires will melt, who knows I see that temps should peak around 100-110 degrees at the end of June. Thought about driving at night but does not sound safe since I don't know the area at all.

Specifically, I will be towing a small tent trailer with an SUV (has a tow package, so has extra coolers, etc) and plan to take Rt 10 across from NM to Tuscon then head north. The trailer and the SUV will have new tires but I will have dogs in the car so a breakdown could go badly. This is a job relocation so really, no choice but to drive.

Weather wise, will I make it??

Thanks for any advice,
-Devora
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:36 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Considering it is a direct Interstate shot from Dallas to Phoenix . . . I-20 to I-10 through New Mexico and Southern Arizona and then right into Phoenix, plus the Dogs and your very conservative "100 to 110 degrees" temperature estimate . . . I would definitely consider driving at night or at least heading out long before dawn.

Also, don't be afraid to stop at a Pet Friendly Motel for a break . . . much cheaper than a breakdown or an accident.

Good Luck

Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
The tires will not melt, an SUV pulling that camp trailer on fairly flat highway with new tires is not going to have a problem that's heat induced. Get the belts and hoses checked, replace any questionable ones. Have PLENTY of water with you, and invest in a AAA membership just to be sure, if you don't have one already. And, what Bummer said. Start early in the am each day.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 AM

966 posts, read 1,346,137 times
Should not be a problem as long as everything is taken care of. If you don't know when the hoses were last changed, you might look at that, carry extra water.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Is your car old and in poor condition? You do realize that people drive all the time in the summer here. It's not like cars don't work in the heat. Do plan for the worst though. Make sure you have a charged cell phone and plenty of water in the car. Check your car's battery before leaving and possibly replace it as a preventative measure. Also, never leave your dogs in the car when stopping. Are you just nervous or what?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 AM

310 posts, read 1,160,415 times
Agree with what everyone else has to say....I used to be a travel nurse, and have made that trip across I 10 from Dallas to here many times...even had my trusty golden retriever with me...take lots of water...get your oil changed, change your air filter, make sure your air coolant fluid levels are good...take lots of water for the pups. There's not much in west Texas except truck stops, so don't let your gas tank get too low. Relatively, it is an easy drive, you can't get lost. Pretty flat until you cross into New Mexico, but even then it's not bad driving.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
In addition to lots and lots of water, you may want to make sure you have a couple of old blankets and an umbrella in the back. That way if you do break down, you & the dogs don't have to sit in a hot car, or in brutal, direct sunlight.

You may also want to consider your cell phone carrier, again, in case of a break down. The last thing you would want is to be in an area without cell phone coverage. I've made the same drive too many times to count and have personally found Verizon covers more of the route than others I had. Then again, I haven't changed carriers in a couple of years now, so others may cover equally as well now. It's just something to think about.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I've tow everything from boats to fifth wheel RVs across the deserts in all kinds of heat. With new tires you are ready to go! Keep them at the high end of the rated pressure for best mileage and also because they run cooler that way. In the unlikely event you break down, you will be fine and so will your dogs. Water and shade are the keys. There are plenty of cops and such on the roads. You will not be left to turn to a skeleton.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:57 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,649 times
We drove from Houston to Phoenix in the middle of July with a dog in our car and were fine. We always did it in 2 days. First leg was Houston to Las Cruces and then Las Cruces to Phoenix. Have your car checked before the trip and you should be fine. The tires are not going to melt. We always left at the latest on 8 am and arrived in Las Cruces arount 7 pm. Second day we left at 9 am and arrived in Phoenix in the afternoon hours. When we travel we always have AAA and OnStar just in case. There is no need to drive at night. Going from Dallas to Phoenix you will be on main Freeways. Like Ponderosa said You will not be left to turn to a skeleton.

And end of July we did the return trip, Phoenix to Houston and were fine too. And our SUV was 6 years old.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:03 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Reference mobile phone coverage on your trip, here's a map that lists complaints of dead zones by different carriers. I think if it were me, I'd buy a cheap second phone, like a Tracphone, just in case you had a problem with your primary phone for some reason. Cautious me, I'd feel safer with a back up phone on a long trip like that.

Cellular Coverage Maps of all US Wireless Carriers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: