Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times

Advertisements

I know that this is a national problem, but it seems to be much more so here in the valley. Maybe that's just my perception, so please prove me wrong. Yesterday while driving up grand avenue I saw a police officer texting on his phone run another vehicle halfway off the road and he KEPT GOING. I have also come to expect at every red light that turns green to have to beep my horn at the vehicle in front of me to let them know that their facebook status can wait. Rush hour traffic on the ten and I see vehicles on a daily basis swerving in and out of lanes, only to find as I angrily pass them that their eyes are on their phones, IN RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC!

Partner this with the tens of thousands of old people we have behind the wheel here and I'm glad my wife takes the light rail, as I don't have to worry about her being killed in traffic every day. I seriously used to complain about drivers in my former cities but phoenix has become the champion of bad behavior on the roadways. Don't get me wrong, this is not a "bash phoenix" thread as I love it here, just more of an observation of everyday life in my new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Don't know where you came from but Arizona has no laws preventing texting and driving so that may make it more prevalent than in a state with laws against it. The city of Phoenix does prohibit it. It is a national problem and has received much attention all over the country so it isn't anything that is specific to the Phoenix area.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
I've noticed no difference between here and MI, where texting while driving is illegal. It's bad in both places and based on my observations, the law doesn't deter people.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
I've noticed that the police here to be very nonchalant about stuff compared to other places I've lived in. I've seen people fully blow through a red light with a cop sitting there and not a single care was given on that day. While you're less likely to get ticketed than in some other places I've lived, it also makes things a bit more dangerous as people will push the envelope as far as they can before someone finally drops the hammer on them. I don't know that bans on texting will ever be effective here.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I've noticed that the police here to be very nonchalant about stuff compared to other places I've lived in. I've seen people fully blow through a red light with a cop sitting there and not a single care was given on that day. While you're less likely to get ticketed than in some other places I've lived, it also makes things a bit more dangerous as people will push the envelope as far as they can before someone finally drops the hammer on them. I don't know that bans on texting will ever be effective here.
There are no bans on texting here unless you're a school bus driver.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:40 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Hopefully the new logo signs being installed along the freeways help reduce the temptation for people to pull out their smartphones to search for nearby services on Google while driving at highway speeds (which is just as bad as texting while driving). More logo signs along I-10, I-17, and Loop 101 are planned for installation next month, with additional signs being installed in August. Installation of logo signs on SR 51 and Loop 202 should begin sometime late this year, while US 60 (Superstition Freeway) should begin sometime in 2015.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Hopefully the new logo signs being installed along the freeways help reduce the temptation for people to pull out their smartphones to search for nearby services on Google while driving at highway speeds. More logo signs along I-10, I-17, and Loop 101 are planned for installation next month, with additional signs being installed in August. Installation of logo signs on SR 51 and Loop 202 should begin sometime late this year, while US 60 (Superstition Freeway) should begin sometime in 2015.
Wow, you sure do love your logo signs!

Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Ten years ago I had a car rear end me and then take off. I was able to chase the car and block them off in a cul-de-sac until the cops showed up. No tickets were issued at all. The cop just told me to call him for a police report if the other driver does not make restitution within a week so that I can file an insurance claim.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
There are no bans on texting here unless you're a school bus driver.
City of Phoenix has a ban on texting while driving. Not sure how often it is enforced but it is there.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Ten years ago I had a car rear end me and then take off. I was able to chase the car and block them off in a cul-de-sac until the cops showed up. No tickets were issued at all. The cop just told me to call him for a police report if the other driver does not make restitution within a week so that I can file an insurance claim.

I had a very similar experience about 8 months ago. I was rear-ended, the other driver took off, I had to chase them down, managed to get a photo of their license plate, I called the police, they came out there and were like "wow, cool story bro." Finally I got them to send someone to the address the car was registered at, the guy admitted to everything but they still didn't want to do a police report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area